• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha HS5 Powered Monitor Review

gr-e

But I am just wondering. Could it just be the ceiling reflection that caused such imbalance in the previous response? I mean could it be diminished when I place the cloud absorber?
Try making separate measurements for L and R speakers in the original spot

musictracer

Try making separate measurements for L and R speakers in the original spot
Well, I would if I had the dbx measurement mic I had borrowed at the time. I only have an M-Audio Luna cardiod and two Samson C03 multipattern mics currently around. I could possibly measure with one of my C03 in omni mode, but though it has a flatter response compared to the Luna, it still isn't considered a measurement mic... Should I still take a shot?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Reflections make sharper dips and peaks. Small rooms like yours are very difficult!
Looks like you used REW default 500ms gating, it picks all reflections and modes.
Panels look huge and they don't need to go to the floor.
Lift speakers off from table and put them closer to the front wall!

https://www.genelec.com/monitor-placement
https://www.thomann.de/blog/en/8-tips-get-best-studio-monitors/
https://www.soundonsound.com/acoustics-studio-design?f[0]=node%3Afield_section:6971

Take some time, search internet for advice on desktop monitor installation.
Do more measurement with different speaker position and mic position
Do tests with panels, measure separately for L and R speaker.
MMM measurement of some kind is better to imitate the sound that you hear. Recommended!

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Well, I would if I had the dbx measurement mic I had borrowed at the time. I only have an M-Audio Luna cardiod and two Samson C03 multipattern mics currently around. I could possibly measure with one of my C03 in omni mode, but though it has a flatter response compared to the Luna, it still isn't considered a measurement mic... Should I still take a shot?

Just play one speaker at the time!

musictracer

Thanks a lot for your assistance! It is a bit late to fill the room with sweep tones right now where I live. I will attempt tomorrow.

Reflections make sharper dips and peaks. Small rooms like yours are very difficult!
Looks like you used REW default 500ms gating, it picks all reflections and modes.
Panels look huge and they don't need to go to the floor.
Lift speakers off from table and put them closer to the front wall!

https://www.genelec.com/monitor-placement
https://www.thomann.de/blog/en/8-tips-get-best-studio-monitors/
https://www.soundonsound.com/acoustics-studio-design?f[0]=node%3Afield_section:6971

Take some time, search internet for advice on desktop monitor installation.
Do more measurement with different speaker position and mic position
Do tests with panels, measure separately for L and R speaker.
MMM measurement of some kind is better to imitate the sound that you hear. Recommended!

I am not aware of the 500ms gating, but I must have used the default setting so it is probably that. If that is the case then it will be peaking up modes for sure. In fact, the measurement contained waterfall information, I am not sure if that is what you meant, but it definitely showed even longer times in the waterfall plot . (It was meant to be a room measurement, not a speaker one).

As for the panels, they are not huge really, it is the standard most used size, as it fits the most common size of the insulation boards in the market (0.6x1.2m - or 2'/4' in other words). I know they don't need to go to the floor of course, it's just that they need to be placed this way, since they are not attached to the walls ;-) . I would have placed them horizontally if I could of course, though to be honest the insulation I used is meant to perform well for a panel absorber even in the lower mid area (coefficient is measured at 0,35 @125Hz in a 1/3 octave measurement), this is way I use it in the SBIR panel against the front wall also. Regarding the "closer to the wall" speaker placement, I haven't checked your links yet, but I know many suggest doing so, so that the SBIR low frequency is pushed upwards so that it can be treated more easily, if that is your point. The problem is that if I do so, there will be some desk reflecting surface area in front of the speaker that will interfere with the direct sound, quite likely creating comb filtering issues. Also, in this current setup, the sound is less "stiff" if you will, plus the SBIR panel needs to be a bit larger to cover the whole area behind the speakers - which I am planning to do in the near future - meaning it currently doesn't work the best way it could...

Anyway, I can definitely take more measurements with different mic placements as you suggest, but I am afraid I can't experiment with speaker placement since it is a really small room as you can see.
Separate L/R measurements are also possible. Will do!
Thanks!

musictracer

I'm back with a few "rough" measurements. And I am saying rough because I calibrated REW using my android app dBspl meter which of course isn't that accurate. I measured each speaker seperately + Sub and both speakers + Sub in two different positions:

1) At ear level hight at the sweet spot
2) At woofer - tweeter midpoint height at the same chair position (sweet spot) as the previous one.

Distance from each speaker at sweet-spot is roughly 1.25m and ear level height vs woofer-tweeter midpoint is roughly 17 cm, so that makes a 7,7 degrees vertical deviance from ideal ear level height at mixing sweet spot.

The doubt I had about the speakers' functionality is extinguished. My only concerns regard my room's response and appropriate setup.
Any thoughts much appreciated!
L + sub (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpg
R + sub (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpg
L + R + SUB (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpg
L + Sub (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpg
R+ SUB (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpg
L+R + sub (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpg
L+ R + Sub  --- Sweet Spot vs woofer - tweeter midpoint (7.7 degrees deviation).jpg
L + sub (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpgR + sub (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpgL + R + SUB (114cm height -- Ear level  ----- 0.6 from back wardrobet).jpgL + Sub (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpgR+ SUB (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpgL+R + sub (97cm height --- tweeter- woofer midpoint).jpgL+ R + Sub  --- Sweet Spot vs woofer - tweeter midpoint (7.7 degrees deviation).jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The doubt I had about the speakers' functionality is extinguished. My only concerns regard my room's response and appropriate setup.
Any thoughts much appreciated!
Can you repost the first graph with 1/6th octave filtering?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Responses look pretty good! Tweeter is 5dB hot, is it set flat?

musictracer

Can you repost the first graph with 1/6th octave filtering?
It would be my pleasure, sir! :) Also I included the mdat file just in case you wanted to inspect it. (Please note that it was initially rejected due to banned file extension (rar) so I added the *.zip extension just to be able to upload it. If you have trouble with extraction just remove the *.zip extension

L + sub (114cm height - Ear level  - 0.6 from back wardrobet) - 1 by 6 oct smoothing.jpg

Responses look pretty good! Tweeter is 5dB hot, is it set flat?
It is far from perfect but it isn't that bad either for such a small room, indeed :)! I mean, I am in the process of building 2 bass traps and a cloud, so hopefully it will get a bit better. Also, yes, both my hs5's were set flat during measurements. It looks weird to me as well though that there seems to be a boost in the 2khz and upwards area in the sweet spot measurement that is also obvious when compared to the woofer / tweeter midpoint level measurement.

Attachments

• 2020 test - (sbir + left panel - no carpet).rar.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 119

musictracer

It's just the enormous scale on Yamaha's marketing that's misleading, they pretty much match otherwise. HS7 and HS8 should be better though.
Agreed! As far as which is better, it depends. I had hs7's for a couple of weeks and replaced them with the 5's. Both are a great speakers, but for me the 5's would be an excellent second pair for mixing. The 7's are more broadband, but get you fatigue after a while working on them. I like both for listening to music, but I enjoy working with the 5's. I have a an ADAM Sub7 also, which I occasionally turn on to check the lows...

Erispedia

JBL 305P looks nice, wanted to try but those cost twice as much as HS5 here and about the same as HS5 + HS8S combo. So yeah, I'm sticking with my HS5 + HS8S for now. Sounds fine after some EQing. Only complaining about somewhat narrow feeling when listening to them on desktop setup.

Top Bottom