• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha Aventage AVR

David Harper

I've always had separate pre and power amps in the past but recently bought a Yamaha Aventage AVR because I now want something that can do everything (blu-ray (OPPO UDP 203), internet streaming (youtube, netflix) , IPOD via USB, 50 in. HD plasma tv, satellite TV, etc. The AVR has been performing perfectly so far and the sound quality is,as far as I can tell, just as good as the more expensive separates that I've had in the past. Now I want to get the new Maggie LRS speakers. Would like some opinions on whether the Yammy (95wpc) will be capable of driving them. I do have a powered sub which could do the bass which would take over the heavy lifting from the Maggies but I'd really rather not use it Since I have the feeling it would probably just detract from the sound quality of the Maggies. The Yammy is described as a "high current amplifier section" (whatever that means if anything). Thing is the Maggies are 4 ohm. I'm guessing the AVR should work as long as I take it easy on the volume. Only two channel stereo ( front left-front right). No surround, no other speakers. So does anyone here have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BigVU's

Forum Donor
I don't but am looking at Yamaha gear among others. I think there is a difference in current and voltage amplifiers - or at least I think I read somewhere there are different approaches... Maybe one of the experts will clarify. Curious what model Yamaha?

OP
D

David Harper

it's the RX-A 780 if it's not up to driving the Maggies I can always use it as a preamp.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Get them and give it a try. If it’s not satisfactory get a stereo amp for the front channels. I run my Aventage 1070 that way. Less strain on the internal amps if you want to run a surround set up too. I just got a Crown XLS 1502 and I know some folks are running Maggie’s with these and love it. I’m probably going to sell the amp that I was using. Do the Maggie’s have bi amp connections? If you are going to do stereo only maybe you can use two of the AVR’S amps for each speaker.

Last edited:
OP
D

David Harper

not sure if the maggies have bi-amp connections. I'm still waiting to receive shipment of them. There's an 8 week wait for them. It will be stereo only.
No surround. Just front L +R. Can't wait.

Top Bottom