• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha AS-1100 & AS-2200 integrated amplifier

Overseas

Major Contributor
Here is my AS1100 in the photo, paired with Triangle Australe EZ, thick carpet included. Very happy with them, Yamaha fan here.
My question is, how bad should I save money to upgrade to AS2200?! My no. 1 priority is not construction and long term reliability but SOUND. The financial effort would be above average in my view.

Attachments

• IMG-20221206-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221206-WA0004.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 129

maty

Major Contributor

We have been using a Yamaha A-S2200 as a reference amplifier in the 3000 – 4000 Euro class at the editorial office for years now. A very reliable and neutral sounding amplifier. Perhaps a tad dry for some enthusiasts, but our experience is that it is a perfect device that lets you hear a lot. And your author likes that.

Now we take the A-S1200 which is basically a 2200 minus the balanced inputs and a little less power. That shouldn’t make a whole lot of difference to the signature (it does in other areas, by the way). What does the team think of the Japanese correctness? ...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here is my AS1100 in the photo, paired with Triangle Australe EZ, thick carpet included. Very happy with them, Yamaha fan here.
My question is, how bad should I save money to upgrade to AS2200?! My no. 1 priority is not construction and long term reliability but SOUND. The financial effort would be above average in my view.

The AS1100 is a very good amplifier and TBH, I don't think you would gain much at all by splashing out on the 2200. Unless you got an insane price/trade for the 1100, it will still cost you more than double again.

Overseas

Major Contributor
With 1100 I really feel the sound is better after, say 1 h of listening, warming up. It really strucks after warming up, makes me keep pushing the volume

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With 1100 I really feel the sound is better after, say 1 h of listening, warming up. It really strucks after warming up, makes me keep pushing the volume
Usually it is just the human hearing system that is reducing its sensitivity above some levels making us turn the volume more and more up which can be hearing damaging in the long term, so please beware.

maty

Major Contributor
That happens with some solid state amplifiers. Of the two I have, the second-hand AV Marantz SR4500 (with which I experimented and greatly improved the initial sound) improves after warming up (a new integrated will arrive in a few days, from another brand).

Top Bottom