• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha A S701 Impedance Selector - I'd really appreciate some experienced thoughts on this one.

Hotwetrat

As I want my whole meal.... (read on)

Hopefully I have not blown up my speakers but I totally forgot about this and was happily listening away for a good couple of hours, I bought it second hand so never even occured to me to check the impedance selector switch...

I have Dali Opticon 1 MK2 connected to Yamaha A S701.

Gonna be honest, read the manual and thought... I'll just check here first.

The Dali speaker website says Nominal Impedance [ohms] = 4

So, I set switch to low?

EDIT: OK this is why I asked, reading around ... 'it's not that simple'

Yahoo....

Last edited:
OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Running on 'high' setting. What of it....

tenor.gif

o_O

aGwNDAw_460s.jpg

i-have-the-power.jpg

EDIT: OK Legit I am only half serious if this is a very bad idea someone please do say :/ I couldn't figure it out entirely from reading the audioholics article but..... Seemed to imply it was a good plan to leave it on high and considering my speakers are very small and I really don't listen very loud? Or am I way off base....

....Can I smell burning. :/

Volume knob is about 8 o'clock so pretty low. I think the issue is my speakers are 4ohm AND inefficient, but counter than with they're real small and I don't listen even close to loud.... Audioholics imply I'm getting half a meal and paid for a 3 course if I set to low ;0; lol ANY THOUGHTS?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, set it to high. The low setting is just to pass regulatory tests for heat generation. It will actually power limit if you set it to low impedance/4 ohm or whatever it is called.

As to damaging it, if you play loud enough and without proper cooling, you could. These amps are not made to run that way. Get one of those equipment fans and put it on top and you should be in rather safe situation.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

You're an absolute gentleman - didn't want t bother you (AGAIN) it's just your punishment for being so gifted LOL - and sometimes you can get such mixed answers reading/researching, but I know if YOU tell me something, you have such a complete and in depth understanding I have complete faith in what you say. I've been working on completing my audio setup for so many months now, finally feel I've nailed it (for my budget) and, despite my poor attempt at some light humour earlier in this thread, would probably jump off a bridge if I blew up my AMP on the first day of use ;P

Thanks again good Sir!

PS I live in a flat and always worry about my nice neighbour so I DEFINITELY don't play loud! ;D

Last edited:
Top Bottom