• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XTZ Tune 4 - anyone has these?

nat1

I'm looking for some active/powered speakers that have a sub output, to use nearfield with a subwoofer which I already have.

Came across these https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/tune-4?technical which seem to have pretty good specs on paper, 52hz -3 point for a 4 inch woofer seems really good, , and the manufacturer supplied FR graph looks fine, although they don't have very detailed measurements.

Tune_4_Achse.jpg

OP
N

nat1

Yeah, 12db order slopes are disappointing, and I scoured the internet and found one site that showed internals and I spotted ChengX caps on the PSU, that's really unfortunate

(from technic3d. but no measurements)
5_Fr-weiche_166.jpg
6_Elektronik_167.jpg

I personally narrowed my options down to Eve SC203, Genelec 8020, XTZ Tune 4, Neumann KH80. From measurements the Genelec 8020 doesn't seem worth it since it is priced so close to the Neumann (in the UK) and measures worse in every way, I will have to buy a minidsp 2x4 if I buy monitors without sub out/high pass

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Found a used pair at a really good price. I couldn't resist buying them. My idea is to use them via the bluetooth function together with a subwoofer when I watch movies on my tablet. BUT I couldn't resist hooking them up with a pair of Peerless SLS 10" bass drivers. I set the crossover at 350 Hz, 24 dB (HP-LP ) slop filter via an active crossover. Then changed to 240 Hz because those bass boxes are not, right now, filled with enough damping material to put out, dampen a little higher frequencies. I don't want to reduce the SLS10 basses efficiency in their lower bass area hence less damping material. A compromise, as usual, in other words. For the XTZ Tune 4 speakers, I hear no difference if they work with frequencies starting at 350 Hz or 240 Hz.:)

At the moment, signal input from a CD player (I have found older non-loudness war destroyed CDs at a flea market, I will maybe later burn the discs), an HK 670 amplifier drives the SLS10 basses. I have also tested with streamed music and a Topping E30 DAC. It also works well.
Subjectively, I think it sounds good.:)

XTZ Tune 4 and a 12 dB slope on filters do not in themselves mean anything bad.It depends on the construction and that shows up when you measure....the FR.

XTZ and component quality in the active amplifier, crossover in XTZ Tune 4 then? In any case, they can build amplifiers:

Or this ICEpower-based amplifier.

Edit
It is messy in the attached pictures. That's because it's rigged to test.:p

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_063724.jpg
    IMG_20230426_063724.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230426_063751.jpg
    IMG_20230426_063751.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230426_063848.jpg
    IMG_20230426_063848.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230426_063912.jpg
    IMG_20230426_063912.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
.... which seem to have pretty good specs on paper, 52hz -3 point for a 4 inch woofer seems really good, , and the manufacturer supplied FR graph looks fine, although they don't have very detailed measurements.

Tune_4_Achse.jpg
Well, at lower volume it might be possible to get something like that (or the feeling of it), but of course it is not possible to get that 50 Hz bass pumped pressure in them that you get in larger drivers/speakers. It is physically impossible to push them to it. XTZ Tune 4 are small speakers.

But as you say, you have a subwoofer, so then it's solved. Just try to cut off so XTZ Tune 4 doesn't have to work with the lowest frequencies. So they don't sweat and you reduce the risk of them distorting.
____
Yes, I'm aware that the OP's starter post was written almost three years ago so this may not be relevant anymore.:)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
After using them for a while, I say like Amir in this test with fairly similar small low-powered active speakers.:

Just keep your expectations low as far as playback level.

Edifier MR4's amp: 42 W RMS. XTZ Tune 4 amp: 50 W RMS.
You might think it should be enough for near-field listening, and it does. EXCEPT when using Bluetooth. Sometimes the XTZ Tune 4's maximum level can only reach a bit above normal listening volume and then I still have the speakers placed close to me.It works but there is no headroom. I do not know in and of itself if it is weak Bluetooth signal sent out from my Tablet. Bluetooth is not something I normally use otherwise, so I have limited Bluetooth gadgets to compare with.

Analog input, where I can adjust the input level to the XTZ Tune 4 speakers via a active crossover. Then I can play really loud. A good bit above normal listening volume then.

Whether the Edifier MR4 also has the same modest SPL I don't know but I can suspect it, given what Amir says. I don't know if Amir tested the Edifier MR4's SPL using Bluetooth.

In any case, at normal volume, together with a sub via sub out on the XTZ Tune 4, it's perfect for some Youtube surfing, maybe watching a movie in bed with a Tablet.:)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After using them for a while, I say like Amir in this test with fairly similar small low-powered active speakers.:

Just keep your expectations low as far as playback level.

Edifier MR4's amp: 42 W RMS. XTZ Tune 4 amp: 50 W RMS.
You might think it should be enough for near-field listening, and it does. EXCEPT when using Bluetooth. Sometimes the XTZ Tune 4's maximum level can only reach a bit above normal listening volume and then I still have the speakers placed close to me.It works but there is no headroom. I do not know in and of itself if it is weak Bluetooth signal sent out from my Tablet. Bluetooth is not something I normally use otherwise, so I have limited Bluetooth gadgets to compare with.

Analog input, where I can adjust the input level to the XTZ Tune 4 speakers via a active crossover. Then I can play really loud. A good bit above normal listening volume then.

Whether the Edifier MR4 also has the same modest SPL I don't know but I can suspect it, given what Amir says. I don't know if Amir tested the Edifier MR4's SPL using Bluetooth.

In any case, at normal volume, together with a sub via sub out on the XTZ Tune 4, it's perfect for some Youtube surfing, maybe watching a movie in bed with a Tablet.:)
I'm on visit at @DanielT's summer cabin (again :)) and we listened to the XTZs with and w/o sub (Yamaha YST-SW300). They do sound really good, and great with sub.

The problem with Blutooth is not BT itself but the recording level. As the XTZs have no analog volume control the output of the internal DAC is the limit. With low dynamic "brick wall" recordings they do play really loud (enough) but with early digital recordings from before the loudness war maximum SPL is too low. I verified this by streaming different recordings via BT from my smartphone.

Feeding the XTZs via analogue input solves the problem as the Topping has higher output voltage than the internal DAC.

Top Bottom