• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XTZ EDGE A2-300 Review (amplifier)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Couldn't it be disguised as a box of heavy chocolates?
I once tried to ship a box of chocolate overseas and UPS refused to accept it saying it is usually used to disguise illegal drugs or something!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, there seems to be higher freq. response peaking with 4ohm load than with 8ohm load and this is strange. Aren't the 4 and 8 ohm plots swapped?
No. B&O shows the same in their datasheet:

1610831277524.png

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I see the usual PSU delivered with that amp is 32V and 5A. The XTZ will be significantly more powerful that that, even when you use a 48V PSU.

Actually, if you account for the many online storefronts where the A07 is offered, "the usual PSU delivered with that amp" is none, the Aiyima-recommended PSU specs are 48VDC @ 7+A. Many of us are sensibly concerned about heat dissipation if the A07 is pushed to somewhere near TI's TPA3255 specs because of its small heat sink and very tight component layout, but so far so good here, even at the highest volume I can tolerate. Given all that, stating that "The XTZ will be significantly more powerful that that, even when you use a 48V PSU" is incorrect -- going by the TI data sheet and Amir's numbers, the A07 has the potential to run pretty much neck and neck given 48VDC with adequate current and assuming thermal issues don't shut it down mid-test.

martijn86

Yes it was disappointing. It seems that Aiyima a07 shows better measurements than this XTZ in some ways.
I'm from the Netherlands but the DIY kits are being sold on a Belgian website and I have had it build at Audiophonics in France. Best purchase I've made so far so I'd do it again but I could literally ride my bike to Hypex headquarters but can't buy it here.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Fun to finally see a review with measurements of this unit, shoutouts to the member who sent it to Amir!

A bit disappointing results, I have two of these units and have been very happy with their performance - especially given the price.

With regards to power levels, I think XTZ suggests the gain control can be used as a max volume limiter. Could we perhaps expect it to reach the rated 300W if the gain was increased? Where was the gain level at when tested at 29dB gain? (1/2, 3/4 of max?)

I agree. I've been curious about the Icepower stuff, though more along the lines of the 1200 series. Neat little box, falls in line with average stuff for the price.

NgtFlyer

Looking at reviews such as this, I wonder if I would be better served, for a music listening setup (with a PC as the source) by getting a Topping E30 and something such as a recently serviced Adcom GFA-545 II. This would give me remote control volume with the E30 in preamp mode and probably a lovely sounding setup. I just keep hoping for a new amp in this price range to reach the performance levels of recent headphone amps.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Looking at reviews such as this, I wonder if I would be better served, for a music listening setup (with a PC as the source) by getting a Topping E30 and something such as a recently serviced Adcom GFA-545 II. This would give me remote control volume with the E30 in preamp mode and probably a lovely sounding setup. I just keep hoping for a new amp in this price range to reach the performance levels of recent headphone amps.
That's sort of my plan, feeding E30 with Chromecast Audio Optical and stream everything across, I just need a decent power amp, Hypex or might be one of the future Topping ones.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I did consider Nord, they don't build amps based on NC122MP like Audiophonics plus they are expensive
KJF Audio are doing mono and stereo amps now, as well as the original multichannel one. More expensive than Audiophonics, but more choice on front panel and connectors.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
KJF Audio are doing mono and stereo amps now, as well as the original multichannel one. More expensive than Audiophonics, but more choice on front panel and connectors.
I shall take a look, thanks

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's sort of my plan, feeding E30 with Chromecast Audio Optical and stream everything across, I just need a decent power amp, Hypex or might be one of the future Topping ones.
Take a look at @Buckeye Amps here on ASR. He's a member and building amps for a VERY good price.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am based in the UK, it's not viable :)
You must think I'm daft-I didn't realize you were the fellow I suggested this to earlier-I wanted to package it as a box of chocolates...have you considered just putting one together on your own? Buy a kit from Ghent (case and wiring) and a module and viola! It's not terribly daunting and far cheaper than buying one already assembled.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
You must think I'm daft-I didn't realize you were the fellow I suggested this to earlier-I wanted to package it as a box of chocolates...have you considered just putting one together on your own? Buy a kit from Ghent (case and wiring) and a module and viola! It's not terribly daunting and far cheaper than buying one already assembled.
I did consider but I can't get hold of NC252MP or NC122MP. NC400 would cost more and overkill for my setup.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The cheapest way to get the modules for diy (that I've found) is to get the corresponding FusionAmp plate amp. Last I checked KJF were charging the same as hypex (converted € to £ at that day's exchange rate) but it may have changed since. That was somewhat less than the Audiophonics boxed amps, but not by enough to cover a case and connectors unless you went with something very utilitarian. It does include a DSP board though.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did consider but I can't get hold of NC252MP or NC122MP. NC400 would cost more and overkill for my setup.
Can't you order modules from Ebay or off AVS Forum? I believe I saw some modules for sale on AVS forum last night.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there measurements of the siimilar-sized Audiophonics amp based on Hypex Ncore NC252MP?

Top Bottom