• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XTZ 12.17 Edge subwoofer, best bang for the buck in Europe?

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi,

I started looking for a subwoofer, and from what I gather XTZ 12.17 Edge seems to be pretty great performer for what its cost (a little more than 500e here on sale). Being a relatively small manufacturer in Sweden it seems they are not very well known in the US, so reviews and comparisons are quite limited.

How do they compare to the like of SVS and Monolith?

diablo

Forum Donor
You will see more about them on various north European sites. The 12.17 model has been reviewed by AVForums -

I have XTZ speakers, which I like a lot, though never tried their subs.

Ciobi69

Hi,

I started looking for a subwoofer, and from what I gather XTZ 12.17 Edge seems to be pretty great performer for what its cost (a little more than 500e here on sale). Being a relatively small manufacturer in Sweden it seems they are not very well known in the US, so reviews and comparisons are quite limited.

They are a solid Brand

holbob

Edge has some minor peq which is useful, but the Monolith 10" has more spl lower down, and is around £150 cheaper. It is massive for a cheaper sub though.

jbminger

Hi,

Where are you seeing the 12.17 edge for a little more than €500?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
FWIW, I've always heard pretty solid things about XTZ.

Here in the US, Monolith Subs are absolutely crushing it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any comparison info to look at against a similar build from either company. That said, if it's within your grasp, Monolith is not a bad option, especially the 12". Monolith 10" is a little more limited but still a good performer.

Would love to see somebody over there do some measurements of XTZ Subs for comparison to other brands. *sighs wistfully ...Maybe someday. ;)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Too bad this brand doesn’t develop further! It seems they’re stuck at the same point the last 5 years. Nevertheless great products, I have a xtz subwoofer which is build like a tank.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Too bad this brand doesn’t develop further!
There are some US brands that seem stuck in the past, too. A lot of strides have been made in the Subwoofer field. 5 yrs almost seems like an eternity right now. Imagine that your only upgrades have been in redoing your Ports and such rather than improving the Driver and Amp. I'm not saying Servo technology is completely irrelevant, but it is getting outpaced. ;)

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
FWIW, I've always heard pretty solid things about XTZ.

Here in the US, Monolith Subs are absolutely crushing it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any comparison info to look at against a similar build from either company. That said, if it's within your grasp, Monolith is not a bad option, especially the 12". Monolith 10" is a little more limited but still a good performer.

Would love to see somebody over there do some measurements of XTZ Subs for comparison to other brands. *sighs wistfully ...Maybe someday. ;)
Yeah I believe XTZ withdrew from us market years ago. Between this and monolith 12" thx ultra. Hmm

Ciobi69

There it was an incredible offer here in Europe for the monolith 963 euros for the 15.. should bought them 2 and be set for life

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
There it was an incredible offer here in Europe for the monolith 963 euros for the 15.. should bought them 2 and be set for life
I was tempted until I saw how big and heavy it is. I have to go with small sub for now

Todd k

Forum Donor
Grab em. I got two for 1500 us$ used. They are awesome. But they are also very very large and heavy. Great value.

3125b

Major Contributor
The 2nd gen Monolith are still on sale in the EU on their website, 550€ for the 10“ and 750€ for the 12“.
I went with the first gen 12“ for about 690€ (sold out now unfortunately), great sub. They are very heavy though, the 12“ 2nd gen weighs 51kg and there is no way to grab it properly, to move it you should have help from someone.

The XTZ seems interesting, very good price for a 12“ DSP sub, I just don‘t have any experience with the brand.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
The 2nd gen Monolith are still on sale in the EU on their website, 550€ for the 10“ and 750€ for the 12“.
I went with the first gen 12“ for about 690€ (sold out now unfortunately), great sub. They are very heavy though, the 12“ 2nd gen weighs 51kg and there is no way to grab it properly, to move it you should have help from someone.

The XTZ seems interesting, very good price for a 12“ DSP sub, I just don‘t have any experience with the brand.
Aren't those THX select and at lower "tier" than the THX Ultra line ?

I eyed THX 12 Ultra for a while but haven't pulled the trigger..

hege

Forum Donor
Just note that there are lots of reports of <30hz port chuffing at higher volumes.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry for small offtop, but I have a question.
If someone is building a cinema room, and would like to order DIY subwoofers from someone, is it better to do it after various measurements of the room, or does it not matter?

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Just note that there are lots of reports of <30hz port chuffing at higher volumes.
that's a bummer
Sorry for small offtop, but I have a question.
If someone is building a cinema room, and would like to order DIY subwoofers from someone, is it better to do it after various measurements of the room, or does it not matter?
A good sw is a good sw and it should not really matter what room it's in. As long as you have proper room treatment, and your processor is good enough at room correction

Top Bottom