• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XT32 with MRC vs no room EQ at all for a well behaved neutral speaker?

What would sound better in a generic room with a neutral, well-behaved speaker?

• XT32 with midrange compensation (BBC dip)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No EQ at all

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

goldark

Forum Donor
Due to unforeseen circumstances, and until I get a new amp, I will be driving my Revel F206 with a Denon X4000 receiver. I haven't hooked them up yet but I wanted to get a feel for what the community thought

The X4000 came out before the Audyssey app came out, which allows you to limit EQ to below the transition frequency (typically 300Hz-500Hz). Ideally, I would just apply XT32 up to this point, but I have no way to apply a low-pass filter or change the target curve without the app. The issue is Audyssey's mid-range compensation which purposely creates a 2 dB dip around 2Khz, also known as the BBC dip - there is no way to turn this off on the X4000 when using Audyssey.

The F206 measures terrifically and is very room friendly. I only worry about the bass which is largely room dependent. My 2 options are a) Leave XT32 on, full-range, which includes MRC or b) turn off EQ entirely, so the mid-range compensation and treble is untouched (an approach promoted by Toole). Of course I will soon test this myself and come up with the answer, but I wanted to broaden the question further.

What would sound better in a generic room with a neutral, well-behaved speaker?

kiwifi

You could try Audyssey Flat which may (?) not have the dip. Or use the bypass L/R option. Both of these retain the use of Dynamic EQ (loudness) and subwoofer corrections.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2 dB is nothing, unless the speaker has already a BBC dip and the correction made the dip even steeper I wouldn't worry about it.

What you need to do is limit the correction to below 100Hz and have well behaved speakers.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
You could try Audyssey Flat which may (?) not have the dip. Or use the bypass L/R option. Both of these retain the use of Dynamic EQ (loudness) and subwoofer corrections.
Audyssey Flat definitely does not have the dip but the problem is that it tries for a flat in-room response when the ideal response should be gently downward sloping, from bass to treble. I'll try it out to see how it sounds though.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
With a with a neutral, well-behaved speaker a combination of both, namely limiting the XT32 correction to the bass region only.
Yes that's the problem though. The Denon X4000 doesn't allow me to limit EQ to specific ranges so I'm only left with have it on or off:(

Top Bottom