• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XT32 and higher frequency EQ?

tcp

I'm keeping an eye out for deals on older model Denon receivers that have XT32, but new enough that I can use the app for custom target curves. The next step up to Dirac Live in a receiver is more than I'm looking to spend, let alone discrete components (it's interesting how that costs so much more, but I digress).

I've read advice to limit Audyssey's correction to lower frequencies (all seem to be saying sub 1kHz, with mentions that Audyssey tends to over-correct at higher frequencies). It also seems that Denon's graphical EQ can't be used in conjunction with the room correction—it's one or the other. Does this mean that speakers which would benefit from a little EQ in upper ranges aren't a good pairing with XT32? Or is there a way to use Audyssey target curves better in the higher end?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I would take the recommendations about limiting Audyssey only to lower frequencies with a grain of salt. They are not baseless but neither are they universally applicable. Especially with the app facilities, it is most wise to start with a low upper limit but to experiment with raising it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some prefer to run Audyssey with the app for frequencies below Schroeder....which seems is the main deviation from a full band run I've read from quite a few (so maybe 300hz), often simply based on the assumption that is where eq is most beneficial in many setups. The app for XT32 units starts with the 3300 fwiw. You can use it for upper frequencies if you think it's a benefit, tho....and you can experiment with quite a variety of scenarios. There are even some programs to enhance manipulation of the curve (believe its called ratbuddyssey?).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You can get a good feel for that frequency where you stop the EQ by doing the measurements and looking at the raw and the (predicted) corrected FR.

Joecarrow

I'm using JBL LSR-308 mkII speakers with an AVR-X3600H, and I find that the sound is a bit worse when correction runs full range. I prefer to keep correction to below about 500hz. The only correction I've heard that sounds OK to me when run full range is Dirac, though now that I see the link to Ratbuddyssey I might try some finer tweaks in Audyssey to see if I can get any improvement without moving to Dirac.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can EQ the higher frequencies, but there is a risk that it could make corrections to things that don't need correcting. Only way to know if it sounds better to you is to try it. Then, set the limit at 1000 Hz and listen. Then if you hear an improvement vs full range, drop it down to about 750, then 500, 400, 300, listening at each step until you no longer hear improvements or you reach the transition frequency of your room.

The next step is to make a custom curve and compare that to the limited range correction for the final battle. If you can improve on the limited range correction, more power to you.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with automated room EQ (Audyssey, ARC, Dirac, etc), is that they make adjustments to the sound based on the sum of the sound reaching the mic. That includes the reflections, sound power, etc. It is going to measure a downward-sloping in-room response. Then, if the software's EQ target is mostly flat, it will boost your treble, sometimes a lot. That equates to an almost flat in-room response which sounds really bright. This is wrong. In-room should be sloping down by about 10 dB, from 100 Hz to 20,000 Hz. So, either limit the range, or try to improve on it with your own custom curve.

OP
T

tcp

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this. It does seem that a few people in the Ratbuddyssey thread are tweaking their XT32 target curves to work across the entire range with success, that's great to know. There is also testing in that thread that shows a custom curve entered in the app is being added to the 'Audyssey reference' curve rather than being used directly, an important thing to consider while adjusting that curve in the app (or in Ratbuddyssey).

Top Bottom