• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XMC-1 is trying to destroy my speakers. What to upgrade to?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About to throw the towel on my Emotiva XMC-1. The USB connection is unstable and it is trying to destroy my speakers. A few times it has sent loud popping signal like there is a power surge. I clicked mute button in Windows and it sent a high pitched click to my speakers. After that, the power button on my speaker doesn't work anymore.

What would you recommend upgrading to?

I use self powered speakers/subwoofers: Genelec 8341A, 8030C, Rythmik G25HP. Budget wise I can't wrap my head around paying $2000-3000 premium for balanced connections and software support for low volume product. Will I be fine with RCA connection? I run 25+ ft of audio and power cables in parallel. If not, I'll consider spending $4000 but not much more than that.

Number of channels: 7 or 11
Dolby Atmos DTS X: yes
HDMI 2.1: preferred, but can work around

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About to throw the towel on my Emotiva XMC-1. The USB connection is unstable and it is trying to destroy my speakers. A few times it has sent loud popping signal to my speakers like there is a power surge. I clicked mute button in Windows and it sent a high pitched click to my speakers. After that, the power button on my speaker doesn't work anymore.

I use self powered speakers/subwoofers: Genelec 8341A, 8030C, Rythmik G25HP. Budget wise I can't wrap my head around paying $2000-3000 premium for balanced connections and software support for low volume product. Will I be fine with RCA connection? I run 25+ ft of audio and power cables in parallel. If not, I'll consider spending $4000 but not much more than that.

Do you need more than 11 channels processing? If not, there is always the Yamaha CX-A5100 or A5200. The A5100 is properly better.. Or wait a little for the CX-A5300.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About to throw the towel on my Emotiva XMC-1. The USB connection is unstable and it is trying to destroy my speakers. A few times it has sent loud popping signal to my speakers like there is a power surge. I clicked mute button in Windows and it sent a high pitched click to my speakers. After that, the power button on my speaker doesn't work anymore.

I use 25 ft+ of RCA terminated-balanced cables with no issues. RCA on the AVR/PrePro end, Balanced XLR on the speakers side. No issues. YMMV.
AVR is Denon AVR--X3400H,
Speakers are JBL LSR 308 for LCR, Surround are LSR 305
And to round it off I also use passive speakers for Atmos , the advantage of an AVR over PrePro , IMO. I use its built-in amplifiers.
I also use the 2 subs out of the AVR to feed my 3 powered subwoofers.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yamaha CX-A5100 or A5200. The A5100 is properly better.. Or wait a little for the CX-A5300.
Are you saying the 5200 a step backwards from the 5100? In what way?

Last edited:
OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you need more than 11 channels processing? If not, there is always the Yamaha CX-A5100 or A5200. The A5100 is properly better.. Or wait a little for the CX-A5300.

Any areas where it is superior to Monoprice HTP-1?

Top Bottom