• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR to RCA ????

RoyB

Forum Donor
Here's my situation.....Bluesound Node2i to Gustard X16 DAC to Sound Artist SA200ia integrated ampolifier

Node 2i coax out to Gustard X16

X16 offers RCA and XLR output

Sound Artist amp only has RCA input

Is there any advantage to using a XLR to RCA cable from X16 to amp? Or just use short RCA cables?

If I wanted to add a Loki EQ into the system, I'd have to put it after the X16 DAC. The Loki only offers RCA.....Again, any advantage going XLR to RCA in this situation?

Thanks

puppet

I'd stick with the RCA interconnects w/your setup. The output voltage on the DAC's XLR connections are higher than the RCA rating. Your downstream equipment probably can't handle that.
Read the manual.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Just stick to RCA as above. Change to XLR, if you think you want change amps with balanced/differential input.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's my situation.....Bluesound Node2i to Gustard X16 DAC to Sound Artist SA200ia integrated ampolifier

Node 2i coax out to Gustard X16

X16 offers RCA and XLR output

Sound Artist amp only has RCA input

Is there any advantage to using a XLR to RCA cable from X16 to amp? Or just use short RCA cables?

If I wanted to add a Loki EQ into the system, I'd have to put it after the X16 DAC. The Loki only offers RCA.....Again, any advantage going XLR to RCA in this situation?

Thanks

Using XLR to RCA adapter/cable is no different from connecting to RCA directly.

XLR has 3 wires, hot (signal), cold (inverted signal being) and ground. Inverted signal means the original signal is flipped. The main purpose of XLR is for noise rejection, esp. as long distances. XLR is also louder than RCA because at the amp side, the cold get inverted back and adds to hot, practically doubling its amplitude. And noise due to cable will be cancelled out at this point too.

if you use XLR to rca adapter/cable, the cold is connected to ground. So you get only hot and ground which is no different from RCA output. No noise rejection, nothing.

Top Bottom