• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR-to-RCA Cables

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have a DAC that has XLR outputs, but my amp only has RCA inputs.

Aside from no additional benefits of using XLR > RCA, will it damage the equipment if the incorrect cables are used? Like these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0956JXSSZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AGUI0L2IM8WT3&psc=1

Depends on the output circuit of the DAC... The (my) default answer is to leave the unused transmitter (driving) side floating, or better yet terminated by a resistor equal to the load (receiver) input, when going from XLR to RCA. Those cables short one side of the output to ground so could damage the DAC's output (discussed in previous posts). That is usually OK on the receiving side, when the unused input is shorted to ground, but may cause problems on the transmitting side. It may work, but I'd get a proper cable.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info.

Just to confirm, the following shows cables are shorted right?

View attachment 258156
Yes, pin 1 (shield/ground) shorted to pin 3 (negative signal), with pin 2 (positive signal) to the RCA center pin. What you want would leave pin 3 floating or connected by a large (high in value) resistor to ground, not directly shorted. That cable is often OK going from RCA to XLR but not the other way around.

HTH - Don

radix

Major Contributor
Yes, pin 1 (shield/ground) shorted to pin 3 (negative signal), with pin 2 (positive signal) to the RCA center pin. What you want would leave pin 3 floating or connected by a large (high in value) resistor to ground, not directly shorted. That cable is often OK going from RCA to XLR but not the other way around.

HTH - Don

Most of the XLR-RCA cables I've bought you can open up the XLR connector and then cut the wire going to pin 3. Usually the rubber boot just untwists easily.

bigguyca

I have a DAC that has XLR outputs, but my amp only has RCA inputs.

Aside from no additional benefits of using XLR > RCA, will it damage the equipment if the incorrect cables are used? Like these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0956JXSSZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AGUI0L2IM8WT3&psc=1

An example of manufacturer guidance:

From the Marantz AV 10 User Manual, Page 43, concerning its XLR outputs: "Do not short the HOT and GND or COLD and GND for use." This means don't connect pin 3, the (-) pin, the COLD to ground at the RCA input, or anywhere else for that matter.

This sort of guidance is provided in many other user manuals.

JimA84

There are basically three alternatives going from XLR output to RCA input.

You can use a cable that leaves pin 3 floating. Since XLR is typically about twice RCA voltage, this may work and is cheap. Emotiva sell such a cable for about $7.95.

You can use a transformer. Jensen is recommended. A Jensen PC-2XR 2 channel box to do this is around $450. Quality transformers are costly. This also isolates the connection from ground loops.

You can use an active device. The Rolls MB15b seems to be well regarded and is about $89. This requires a power connection and also has an uncalibrated volume control which may or may not be desirable. At least the frequency response, noise and distortion figures appear to be acceptable.

Top Bottom