• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR Interconnects

rcstevensonaz

Just make sure you burn that shit in real good per their instructions :eek:
View attachment 122639
When I read through their materials, this statement seems to be all about minimizing returns (via Amazon) and managing the overall return process. The impression was that the 175 hours has nothing to do with effect on the cable, and everything to do with the amount of time it spends in the customer's possession ... perhaps to help incent the customer to be sure to actually try the cables, get past the psycho-acoustic break in period (not a physical break in), and ultimately decide to keep them.

That said, while the 175 hours might often kick a person out of Amazon's 30 days return, WBC appears to maintain a great return policy. Their commitment is that if you have actually used the cable long enough (e.g., 175 hours) and still think it is "inferior audio quality", they will accept your return due to customer dissatisfaction.

Sadly, while those of us on ASR will scoff, the inclusion of the "break in notice" probably also increases the perception that WBC produces audiophile-grade cables in the eyes of many audiophiles out there. They will believe WBC "gets it", while not realizing it is really a business-driven strategy. (Of course, the above is all my opinion; I do not have any direct info from WBC on why they choose to include the 175 hour break in notice)

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

RobS

Forum Donor
Yeah don't use higher capacitance cables if you can avoid it because it can roll off the HF, make the sound dull and lose detail. I switched out my star quad cables recently and noticed a bump in resolution and more treble.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Cable capacitance is not a consideration for XLR interconnects shorter than one thousand feet. For some types of microphones, it might be a few hundred feet.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like using the xlr cables form Audioblast, you can get them on Amazon and the prices are hard to beat. They have bundles of 4 for great prices.
While they seem to promote the starquad version, they all make cables using mogomi, canare etc. The company themselves is top notch.

I hade a bad solder joint once ( only once ), they responded almost instantly, apologized and sent me 3 pair of various made cables ( overnighted them ), mogomi, canare and some straquads. Lifetime warranty no questions asked. I recommend these to everyone i know and they are all very happy. They will make any cable you need, of any configuration you can possibly think of. This company probably has the best customer service dept i have ever dealt with.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Well I think I'll just make my own. It seems if I want fancy connectors like Neutrik then it's much cheaper to solder them. I am thinking I'll just buy 4m of Mogami W2549 cable, split into 4, and buy the Neutrik connectors separately. I'm reluctant to go with Mogami as they seem snake-oil-like with their "Gold" and "Platinum" lineups, but I can't find any other OFC cable.

Forgive my ignorance but, this cable has 2 conductors. How are you meant to wire to the ground on the Neutrik if there's no 3rd conductor?

JSmith

Master Contributor
but I can't find any other OFC cable
Mate all copper used for wiring and cables is "OFC"... and no copper is every completely oxygen free, it's another snake oil scam on unsuspecting customers, as it means nothing in relation to the conductivity when used as speaker wire.
The high-end speaker wire industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are supposedly advantageous to audio signal transmission. In fact, conductivity specifications for common C11000 (ETP) and higher-cost C10200 Oxygen-Free (OF) coppers are identical;[12] and even the much more expensive C10100 has only a one percent higher conductivity—insignificant in audio applications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen-free_copper

https://westlakepro.com/oxygen-not-included-oxygen-free-cables-worth-added-cost/

Aren't you glad you're on ASR now? :)

JSmith

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Mate all copper used for wiring and cables is "OFC"... and no copper is every completely oxygen free, it's another snake oil scam on unsuspecting customers
Thank you.

Confirming I am going to make my own Mogami 2549 / Neutrik cables. Even those raw parts were a healthy sum of 57 USD (converted), yikes.

3 metres of 2549; 4 male and 4 female Neutrik XLR's.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah don't use higher capacitance cables if you can avoid it because it can roll off the HF, make the sound dull and lose detail. I switched out my star quad cables recently and noticed a bump in resolution and more treble.
How long was that cable and how large is the output impedance of the source?

Top Bottom