• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR Interconnects: Is there a difference?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Expected results are an acceptable part of science. They are called hypotheses.

Expectation bias comes into play when the scientist looks for findings (or ways to obtain same) that coincide with expected results. Expectation bias also comes into play when somebody "chooses" that which aligns with their expectations.

Any good scientist should be trying to prove the null hypothesis with equal vigor as trying to prove the hypothesis. A good audiophile should at least be aware of expectation bias and try their best not to fall victim to it.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Expected results are an acceptable part of science. They are called hypotheses.

Expectation bias comes into play when the scientist looks for findings (or ways to obtain same) that coincide with expected results. Expectation bias also comes into play when somebody "chooses" that which aligns with their expectations.

Any good scientist should be trying to prove the null hypothesis with equal vigor as trying to prove the hypothesis. A good audiophile should at least be aware of expectation bias and try their best not to fall victim to it.
I agree with your explanation of hypotheses, of course. Not though WRT to listening tests. In a DBT you may fail to hear an existing difference if you're biased that there is none to expect.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I agree with your explanation of hypotheses, of course. Not though WRT to listening tests. In a DBT you may fail to hear an existing difference if you're biased that there is none to expect.

Quite right in that context. It's hard to fall victim to expectation bias in a DBT. Expectation, yes, but using that to affect an outcome, no, if the blind aspect of the test is administered correctly.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but likely a minimal (possibly measureable, probably not audible) degradation.

What kind of degradation would that be, and what would be causing it?

Jaysz

So no difference.

Even if the splitter cable has 1m to sub and 6m to monitors ?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So no difference.

Even if the splitter cable has 1m to sub and 6m to monitors ?

No, those are very short distances by studio / live event standards. :)

FourT6and2

Most non-audiophile cable companies publish their cable's specs. Y'all can do the measurements yourself I suppose, but I trust the data sheets from Mogami, Canare, Lake, Van Damme, etc. I'm new to the hi-fi world, but all of these cable companies offer cabling I've used in guitar and guitar amp applications. Can I hear a difference? A little. It's mostly from capacitance. If you want the least amount of high-end attenuation, grab some bulk cable with the lowest capacitance per foot. Other factors matter as well, like resistance, inductance, shielding, etc. But you can pull up the data sheets on whatever cable you're thinking about and compare the specs. If no data sheet is available for the cable, then don't buy it. It's probably snake oil. I've come across a number of aftermarket headphone cable companies selling uber diamond dragon-fire nuclear cables for $1,000 for five feet of wire. And after some digging, discover they're using bulk cable you can get for $1.40/foot + $30 for the connectors on each end.

Hmm... maybe I should get into the cable business if people are actually buying this stuff.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
We should note the musical instrument cables are a different ball game than interconnect cables.

The requirements are much different.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
We should note the musical instrument cables are a different ball game than interconnect cables.

Unless the instrument is active, many guitars, keyboards etc. Its the very high output impedance of passive pickups that causes the LP filter with the cable capacitance. Hence the need for short guitar cables.

FourT6and2

Not talking about strictly instrument cable from guitar to amp, for example. But speaker cable. Patch cable. Hook-up wire. Mic cables. All of it... just saying that all the companies that manufacture this stuff publish their data sheets. So there's no point in guessing.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not talking about strictly instrument cable from guitar to amp, for example. But speaker cable. Patch cable. Hook-up wire. Mic cables. All of it... just saying that all the companies that manufacture this stuff publish their data sheets. So there's no point in guessing.

For speaker cables, resistance can matter, but only on long runs with insufficient cable thickness. With patch cables, the only thing that possibly matters is shielding, and even then only if really badly done.

FourT6and2

For speaker cables, resistance can matter, but only on long runs with insufficient cable thickness. With patch cables, the only thing that possibly matters is shielding, and even then only if really badly done.

And? Nothing to do with what I've said, which is instead of guessing and having a 20-page discussion about what-ifs, just look at the data sheet for whatever cable you're thinking about buying. And if no data sheet is available, it's usually not available for a reason—to separate you from your money. Most reputable cable companies publish their data sheets. Pull them up, compare the specs, and purchase whichever one you like most.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't compromise on anything less than $9,500.00/1m with Quantum Tunneling!

When I read stuff from boutique cable manufacturers, and this company specifically, the word that rushes unbidden to the forefront of my mind is simply: "Shameless."

From that link:

"We then apply a new UEF Graphene compound first developed for our SR Blue fuses for increased low-frequency impact and control,"

Really? How exactly would that step increase low-frequency impact and control? I know, don't bother asking for details. Bald claims, so long as they are the type an audiophile wants to hear, is all that is required.

"The shields have also been reworked with a new UEF Matrix Shielding Pattern that dramatically lowers your systems noise floor..."

Unless I know my system is turned on, it's already so quiet I can't hear if my system is "on" or not. Just how much lower can my noise floor go, for any practical purpose, beyond the already inaudible noise floor it has now?

Even after decades of encountering this stuff, it still makes my blood boil.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And? Nothing to do with what I've said

Everything to do with what you wrote: "Other factors matter as well, like resistance, inductance, shielding, etc."

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I also need a 4 pin XLR balanced cable extension for my headphones. Can I buy a cheap intercom extension cable? Any other suggestions?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'Amir' has noticed problems with some speaker connectors when doing amplifier testing. Neutrik connectors are chosen by many pros for their high reliability and ease of use.

But that’s on the amplifier end, no? A speakon connector basically does the same job as a banana plug, only more advanced and secure. I struggle to see what can go wrong inside there...

Last edited:
Top Bottom