• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR Interconnects: Is there a difference?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen demonstrations of RFI/EMI on RCA line-level interconnects and balanced XLR cables are said to eliminate most problems. And of course there are the other advantages of balanced line level interconnects and balanced amp circuits, etc.

But, is there any reason to spend more than $15 on a pair of interconnects? Here are three I am considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Microphone-Feet/dp/B00KO8VY4O/
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/fanmusic-zy-208-1m-2xlr-to-2xlr-zy208-balance-signal-cable
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...m-balanced-signal-line-advanced-edition-cable

I have no need to go over 1 meter.

General advice and especially data-driven advice would be most welcome.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
At one meter, probably not.
But at 100 meters, as is often the case in concert hall recordings, then yes!
The best XLR bulk balanced interconnect cables are Shielded Twisted Pair (STP).
The important thing about long cables is symmetry of the two signal conductors with respect to the shield.
This is to reduce SCIN (Shield Current Induced Noise).
The best cables are made by the major bulk cable manufactures.
but as a side note: the pro audio people are having success with unshielded Cat5e and higher cable.

Tks

Major Contributor
Build quality is the basic difference between parts (since you're only using 1 meter lengths, shielding isn't all that serious where a configuration like Starquad would be ideal). Using name brand connectors like Neutrik helps avoid some problems other brands have where the XLR connection would be stuck into the device.

I bought these and really like them. (Had no need for better in my room)

They also have the coveted Starquad configuration as well at various lengths if you want to never think about if your cable is picking up on EMI and such. The one odd thing about this company (World's Best Cables) is they have these silly audiophile myth warnings on cables like "allow for burn in time of X hours" and silly stuff like that. I ignore that naturally, and simply like their cables for a great price and great build quality using quality name brand parts.

There is also this other company called AudioBlast on Amazon, they even have a Youtube video demonstrating their superiority over some of the best cables from Canare, and Mogami star quad configurations.

I can attest to these guys being great as you can contact them through Amazon and get a prompt reply instantly and speak like sane human beings, and not like some robots. I think you can even place a custom order with them if you want (seeing as their cable seems to be the best in terms of EMI rejection).

Can't go wrong with either in my experience, especially AudioBlast it seems due to their crazy long warranty and even better prices than World's Best Cables.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What Wayne said and I would add Hosa to the "avoid" list though they may have a better line now. Years ago their connectors were junk and strain relief just for looks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Rockfella

Forum Donor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Neutrik connectors are of excellent quality. I've used them for years in my home made cables.

Tks

Major Contributor
Good call, I got a pair of AudioBlast for $25, no tax or shipping. Thanks!

Tell us how you like them, I would've gotten starquad but at 1ft length, they are pretty stiff cables! I assume you got it at 3ft length, if so, then you're smooth sailing no matter what.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will second “world’s best cables” from amazon. $30 a pair made with Mogami star quad and good plugs.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Mogami W2549 is very good cable as is Mogami W2534 quad microphone cable. I think the W2549 has less capacitance and the general consensus is that it sounds very neutral and less rolled off than the W2534 which has heavier shielding. I make my own with Neutrik XLR plugs.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Neutrik connectors are of excellent quality. I've used them for years in my home made cables.
I like Neutrik. My other favorite is Amphenol. Don't like the Switchcraft as much.

As well as Hosa, you might wish to avoid MCS. The cable is fine, but their connectors get intermittent if you change them very often. I think the dimensions are a little off on the connector.

I did have some cheap no name ones once that weren't shielded and not really twisted. Probably would have worked fine if they were simply twisted, but they weren't. Picked up hum.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Haven't used Amphenol but have certainly heard good things about them!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Haven't used Amphenol but have certainly heard good things about them!

Wow...

1571459730594.png

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Neutrik. My other favorite is Amphenol. Don't like the Switchcraft as much.

As well as Hosa, you might wish to avoid MCS. The cable is fine, but their connectors get intermittent if you change them very often. I think the dimensions are a little off on the connector.

I did have some cheap no name ones once that weren't shielded and not really twisted. Probably would have worked fine if they were simply twisted, but they weren't. Picked up hum.
Any experience with Eminence connectors? I assume any differences in connectors would be evident depending on how often cable is connected/disconnected? I’m planning to put in place and leave connected indefinitely.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Any experience with Eminence connectors?

I've never seen it. And I've been servicing pro audio equipment for decades. Years ago I used Cannon and Amphenol and Switchcraft etc.. I've never used generic types. I've found Neutrik to be about the most durable with consistent quality where other companies have cut quality. Neutrik is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. So why use anything else?

Top Bottom