• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR Cable Suggestion

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are probably as good as you can get. You could get cheaper that would work fine, but if price is no concern get those.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Canare, Mogami and Belden would be the top choices. I think Blue jeans will build cables using any of those. You can get custom length if it matters. All those are going to sound the same.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Mogami is/was Japanese. Now a division of Marshall Electronics, Torrance, California

Canare - Japanese founding, multinational now

BlueJeans is in Seattle, is/was a Mom and Pop shop.

Belden is headquartered in St. Louis and is a multinational.

OP
S

SightUp

I am confused about this...

low-capacitance, high-flex cable vs. Higher noise rejection, but with higher capacitance

What's the difference?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you have a very high impedance source or very long lengths nothing will be different in a way that matters. High flexibility is nice.

OP
S

SightUp

So because I need it sooner rather than later and I am going with a fairly short cable, 6 ft, go with the Mogami?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is no one going with Amazon Basics for 6 ft?

Reactions: esm

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm thinking about getting a new setup sometime in the future with XLR interconnects. All my research points at getting some Mogami Neglex 2534 and soldering on Neutrik plugs. Should be bullet proof in terms of technical and mechanical excellence. Those Mogami Gold looks like a non- DIY version of that, so I guess I have no problem recommending them despite not having any practical experience.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Mogami TRS-XLRM
From the manufacturer : "This balanced patch cable with gold-pin/black body ¼"" TRS and male XLR connectors is a popular choice for powered speakers. Mogami Gold TRS-XLRM uses Neglex Studio Quad cabling, legendary for clarity and freedom from noise/RF interference. Neglex type Quad cables are designed for the highest quality recording applications where maximum definition is critical."

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Does anyone have the Amazon Basics cables? How are the connectors? I have purchased cheap cables and trashed them due to lousy connectors, about my only concern. Whilst any of the other choices are great, I usually purchase ProCo cables from Sweetwater Sound -- good quality, good connectors, little cheaper than Canare or Mogami. Will not buy Hosa again.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have the Amazon Basics cables? How are the connectors? I have purchased cheap cables and trashed them due to lousy connectors, about my only concern. Whilst any of the other choices are great, I usually purchase ProCo cables from Sweetwater Sound -- good quality, good connectors, little cheaper than Canare or Mogami. Will not buy Hosa again.

Yeah cheap cable is okay. Some cheap connectors are not. Monoprice premium has good connectors for cheap. Livewire is not too high and had good connectors. I've been happy with any neutrik and Amphenol XLR connectors.

Markertek is another place that will make lengths with your choice of connectors and good cable.

To the op the Mogami will be great. Get it and don't worry

Top Bottom