• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR cable for RME ADI?

Mehdiem

I’m planning to connect my RME ADI (functioning as a DAC/Preamp) to PowerAmp NAD C298 through XLR. This is my first XLR experience and I have two questions?

(1) there is a note in the RMe manual (regarding 3 pins) which I don’t understand its implications. Please see the note as attached, and let me know if a regular XLR cable would work in my case?

(2) does the quality of XLR cable matter? I have found a few on Amazon; can you tell me which one is the best for my case. They all show XLR cable for Mic, is that ok? Or should I look for particular specifications?

(3) is it a good idea to connect my sub to unbalance output of the RME while the amp is also connected to the XLR? Or it’s better to connect my sub to the amp unbalanced output?

Attachments

• A8A83B94-A948-4553-89BF-2795E175C45B.jpeg
    A8A83B94-A948-4553-89BF-2795E175C45B.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 101

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1.That note is about using an adaptor cable to connect the balanced output to an unbalanced input. If you do, leave pin 3 unconnected. Since you are not planning to do this, it doesn’t matter.

2. Any 3 pin XLR cable will work. I tend to prefer gold plated pins and sockets as system interconnects tend to stay connected for a long time and I want to maintain a low resistance connection.

3. I would connect directly to the DAC. Connecting to the amp will will probably work too but why run the signal through more things. P.s. If your sub does not have L/R inputs you will need to sum the L/R DAC output to mono to drive the sub.

radix

Major Contributor
I’m planning to connect my RME ADI (functioning as a DAC/Preamp) to PowerAmp NAD C298 through XLR. This is my first XLR experience and I have two questions?

(1) there is a note in the RMe manual (regarding 3 pins) which I don’t understand its implications. Please see the note as attached, and let me know if a regular XLR cable would work in my case?

(2) does the quality of XLR cable matter? I have found a few on Amazon; can you tell me which one is the best for my case. They all show XLR cable for Mic, is that ok? Or should I look for particular specifications?

Any decent XLR cable is fine. Amazon basics, Monoprice, Hosa, etc. Some like Mogami.

(3) is it a good idea to connect my sub to unbalance output of the RME while the amp is also connected to the XLR? Or it’s better to connect my sub to the amp unbalanced output?

Some subs have an XLR pass-through, so you can go XLR to sub, then XLR to speaker/amp. Another option is an XLR "Y" cable to split the XLR between the sub and the amp. You only have 1 EQ for both sub and amp. You can use the low pass filter on the sub, but your speakers will still get full-range, which might not bad. Some people might use a minidsp as an active crossover / room correction. Or you can use passive RCA or XLR filters to high-pass from the sub to the amp (you have to buy these fixed to your sub's cross over frequency).

Personally, if you have XLR pass-through or use a Y cable, I'd just feed the full signal to the speakers. As long as you're not listening super loud, it will likely be OK. At loud volumes, some speakers can struggle with the full range bass, but it depends on your specific system.

I believe the RME has separate output buffers for the RCA and XLR, so it should be OK to use both. I would suspect that your amp is on the same electrical ground as your RME, so RCA is likely not a problem there. Subs are sometimes on a different outlet and might have a different ground path, so could perhaps benefit from XLR more (there were a lot of wiggle words there). It really depends on your specific situation. RCA might be fine for everything. If you get a ground loop hum, then you know XLR would be better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah those choices should be fine. If you want a little fancier, you could look at World's Best Cables on Amazon. You get Canare or Mogami cabling with Neutrik or Amphenol XLR connectors for a little more money. But those you have listed should work for you.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

Yeah those choices should be fine. If you want a little fancier, you could look at World's Best Cables on Amazon. You get Canare or Mogami cabling with Neutrik or Amphenol XLR connectors for a little more money. But those you have listed should work for you.

Would there be a difference between Amazon Basics/ Hosa silver plated and gold plated such as this:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Would there be a difference between Amazon Basics/ Hosa silver plated and gold plated such as this:

The Monoprice Premier uses 16 gauge wires and since Amazon Basics does not specify wire size, I'm guessing they are using 22 or 24 gauge wires.

No audible difference at these short lengths between 16 and 22/24 gauge wires.

Paolo

1. Don’t worry

2. Any cable should work fine, some are more pleasant than others in the look and feel department, none sounds better than the others.

3. My SVS’s subwoofer is connected through the RCAs on the RME and it works just fine, while the XLR connectors are for the speakers amp.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

1. Don’t worry

2. Any cable should work fine, some are more pleasant than others in the look and feel department, none sounds better than the others.

3. My SVS’s subwoofer is connected through the RCAs on the RME and it works just fine, while the XLR connectors are for the speakers amp.

Great to hear the same setup works for you! Will do this then. RME to Sub (rca), RME to amp (xlr)

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

The Monoprice Premier uses 16 gauge wires and since Amazon Basics does not specify wire size, I'm guessing they are using 22 or 24 gauge wires.

No audible difference at these short lengths between 16 and 22/24 gauge wires.

I see. But generally speaking, lower gauges are better than higher right?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I see. But generally speaking, lower gauges are better than higher right?
As far as sound quality, no. Lower gauge (fatter wire) has lower resistance but that doesn't matter with line-level audio signals or microphone level signals. (It is a consideration with speaker cables.)

But a heavier gauge wire will usually have a "bigger" solder connection so it should be more reliable over the long-run.

There was a recent post comparing XLR cables and AliExpress was wired wrong!!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

No difference. I have lots of Monoprice xlr cables I use. They are thicker and stiffer, but sound just fine.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
And worth noting that not all XLR cables from Monoprice are thicker / stiffer. Their “Stage Right” XLR cables are 24AWG, very easy to move around given the thinner gauge. I have one of these for using with a measurement microphone; makes it easy to do placement.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I would go with the following. 5 feet should be ok? Do I lose if I go above that length?

Hosa HMIC003 Pro REAN XLR Microphone Cable, 3-Feet https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004TVJL1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_SDFZBW19MM5A28JJFJD9?psc=1
No, XLR cables are used in studios with tiny low voltage microphone signals where runs of cable are 50 feet to sometimes well over 100 feet. You aren't losing anything even in the longer XLR cables. I'd suggest getting slightly longer if it is close. More versatility for any future needs that way.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

That's pretty expensive for a 3 foot cable. You're paying extra for silver plated connectors, which offer no real benefit in your application.

The cheapest one I found in Canada was $15

Top Bottom