• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Xiaomi Mi Box as a streamer?

obviouslygene

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this, so I was wondering if the Xiaomi Mi Box S with its toslink optical out is decent as a source into a SMSL SU-8?

BillG

Major Contributor
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this, so I was wondering if the Xiaomi Mi Box S with its toslink optical out is decent as a source into a SMSL SU-8?

It's not been measured here, or anywhere else, as far as I know. However, unless it's TOSlink implementation is seriously broken I'd assume it would be just fine.

OP
O

obviouslygene

It's not been measured here, or anywhere else, as far as I know. However, unless it's TOSlink implementation is seriously broken I'd assume it would be just fine.

Cool, I was afraid like chromecast it would be limited to 16bit or something...

sonusfaberx

Used the Mi Box as a streamer connected to a Dragonfly Red DAC. It works pretty well and can decode MQA in Tidal. I am upgrading my DAC and streamer and will compare the results.

sonusfaberx

Used the Mi Box as a streamer connected to a Dragonfly Red DAC. It works pretty well and can decode MQA in Tidal. I am upgrading my DAC and streamer and will compare the results.
Apparently I am wrong, the mi Box does not pass thru MQA into the DAC, and it needs a software like UAPP to do so. I have also tried the mi Box as a roon endpoint since Roon can detect it, it failed, the device can hardly start the Roon app.

Negatywny

question, does one can pair mi box with SMSL SU-1 via USB? Will mi box power the DAC?

bogdaniiii

After the Android 12 update that all Mi boxes received, i can no longer get sound out of the USB :( I was connecting an Earmen TrAmp, worked so well before the update.
As far as i've researched, neither the 2nd generation Box S can pass audio through USB anymore.
Please anyone correct me if you found a way.

jmillar

Apparently I am wrong, the mi Box does not pass thru MQA into the DAC, and it needs a software like UAPP to do so. I have also tried the mi Box as a roon endpoint since Roon can detect it, it failed, the device can hardly start the Roon app.
The Tidal app for Android worked around the 48 kHz "choke point" (resampling) on Android based devices. No UAPP needed for Tidal.

Last edited:

jmillar

After the Android 12 update that all Mi boxes received, i can no longer get sound out of the USB :( I was connecting an Earmen TrAmp, worked so well before the update.
As far as i've researched, neither the 2nd generation Box S can pass audio through USB anymore.
Please anyone correct me if you found a way.
Android beyond 11 seemed to break usb audio. The new release is supposed to finally fix that. I don't know if in your case you can roll back to 11.

bogdaniiii

Android beyond 11 seemed to break usb audio. The new release is supposed to finally fix that. I don't know if in your case you can roll back to 11.
I can't. If there is a fix coming, i can't wait for it <3

gat3keeper

Im using the first mi box S , hooked a 3.5 mm Output cable to RCA > then to Edifier active speakers. It sounds great. I noticed tidal is displaying MAX/MQA but not sure if it's passing the signal to my speakers.

Top Bottom