• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Xiangsheng DA-03A Tube DAC

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No and none held.

Interesting name choice, I suppose...

peterq

There are two similar brands, one is "翔声", the other is "享声", sounds same, but different meaning.

OP
P
My interest in this dac is not so much the meaning or translation of the name, but the performance, it is available to me for C$200.
I think I'll hold off acquiring a dac until the fall, summer activities coming up, hiking, golf, outdoor stuff, travelling etc.
Newer stuff in the fall and older stuff cheaper.
I am not entirely sure that I need a dac, my system sounds nice; MacBookPro CDs ripped flac-Yaquin MC-50L-Helicon Dali 400.
I have older but o.k. working ears, played violin all my life, so not tone deaf (I hope, for others).
Everyone tells me, I need a dac, without having heard my system (especially the sales men in the hifi stores).
Please someone enlighten me.
Wouldn't mind a Streamer/dac.

Last edited:

peterq

I think this one you looked is "翔声", it's not very popular even in China, and maybe you could try some cheaper things in Amir's list.
"享声" is more expensive and it's focus on DAP.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently purchased a XiangSheng DAC-01a and have been very very pleased with it. That said, if you are looking for a DAC to pair with your Yaquin MC-50L it may not be the best choice from a function standpoint.

The XiangSheng DACs are really some combination of DAC, tube buffer, pre-amps, headphone amps, and/or remote control. They all share robust (for inexpensive Chi-fi) chassis and a tube preamp option that you can bypass. You do not need the tube buffer as you will be pairing it with a tube amp.

For my use the XianSheng DAC-01a seems to be a remarkable bargain ($100-$160) for what it does. The combo of full Toslink/Coax/USB DAC with two additional switchable analog inputs, headphone amp (with Opamp sockets for swapping), tube buffered and direct pre-outs, a robust full range volume control (internal jumpers let you choose fixed or volume controlled preamp outputs) and a surprisingly substantial build quality. They have been sold under different names, like Maverick Audio.

My DAC-01a makes a great match for adding functions to one of the dozens of mini Class D amps out there. It provides precise volume control, additional inputs, and the option of a warmer tube sound. Most of the XiangSheng DACs seem to have been available for many years (2012?), but have gone through multiple internal revisions (the DAC-01 is on V10 I think).

My guess is that the direct output probably measures OK, and the tube output does not, but they are both always live so you can switch between them easily. In this case I do not see higher distortion in the tube outputs as a disadvantage, because tube distortion is a feature not a fault with tube buffers right?

Mine sounds great and with my old ears what matters most is a volume control with useful range, solid quiet switching, and headphone output that drives most of my phones. All of this seems fine on the DAC-01a.

OP
P
Does yours look like this ? there seems to be some confusion between the similar names for a similar unit.
1554655776896.png

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it looks like that. Internally there are variations of the DAC-01A, I see V8, V9, and V10 with the V10 using AK4418 and AK4490 chips while my V9 uses CIRRUS CS8416 & CS4398 I think. There are several different USB receiver options as well. Mine uses an SA9023 which requires no drivers but has a max sampling of 96K, and XMOS U08 / U208 which need drivers but will sample 192K.

I see there is a DAC-01b that is totally different. There seem to be multiple versions of the DA-03a (often titled DAC-03a in the listings), some with remote, some without and probably other differences.

They are larger and weightier than I expected. Similar to my Yulong D-200 in external build quality. The Yulong was much more expensive so I am sure the internal components are not comparable.
The DAC-01a works well as a front end for powered speakers as well as mini amps. DAC01a.jpg

OP
P
Received the DA-03A Tube DAC this morning, picked it up from the post office (I live 20 min driving out of town).
The unit looks new, the remote still in the plastic, used the headphones first , beautiful sound , very very nice.
Connected the MacBook Pro usb to the usb c on the dac ,connected the amp via rca to the dac rca and immediately a hum occurred,
sounded like 120 hrz, doesn't vary with the volume setting, not too laud but annoying .
with the volume up, the hum is not noticeable , the sound is gorgeous.
How to get rid of the hum ?, there was no hum when the Mac was connected to the amp rca from the mini headphone plug.
The hum has to be a faulty ground connection , changed power chords, changed wall socket, still hum ,
any suggestions anyone ?
amp (1).jpg

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very unfortunate. My DA-01A has absolutely no hum.

A couple of questions:
- Is there any hum at all when you play from the DAC-03A headphone jack? Is it only when listening to the DA-03A through your tube amp?
(also, do you hear hum through the headphones when the DAC-03A is connected to the tube amp...that goes away when they are not connected?)

- Have you tried both the "Normal" and "Tube" preamp outputs of the DAC-03A? Do you get hum on both?

- Do you still hear the hum through the tube amp if the USB cable is not connected to your MacBook (but the DAC-03A/tube amp are still connected to each other?)

- Do you have another amp you could connect briefly instead of the tube amp to see if you get hum on it as well. If you determine the hum only occurs with your tube amp it may be easier to come up with a solution.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
P
No Hum :), I like the sound of the tube amp better.
Moon.jpg

I don't know why the tube amp would have a hum only when connected to the dac, and not when connected to the headphone jack of the
MacBook Pro , someone on this forum would probably have an idea.

I did order new tubes some time ago for my tube amp , could be one of the input tubes.

OP
P
Having spend a number of hours listening to the Xiangsheng DA-03A Tube DAC and my tube amp, mostly classical and jazz,
I find this combination very pleasing even though the dac has poor specs indicated by Amir (go figure).
Everything is there; clear upper frequencies ,not shrill, smooth clear mids and nice detailed base extension.
The dac works great with the headphones.
What more could one want? , especially for the little money I payed for it.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am glad the Xiangsheng sounds so good in your system, as I said earlier, I am very pleased the the DAC-01A in mine.
In my view, the published specifications are not really bad depending on what you compare them to. The DAC-01a and DAC-03a serve several different functions...really 3 or 4 components in 1.

They function as:
- A USB/Coax/Optical DAC with volume control - The published specs of the "Normal" outputs of the 03a are .001% THD and 110% S/N which are (if accurate) as clean as necessary to provide transparent sound. Most China HiFi brands tested here have not met their specs, but you don't know til you test.

- A Pre-amp with a Tube Buffered output. I call it a buffer without knowing anything about the circuitry because there is a single tube which never gets to hot to touch...so it is there to add a tube warmth to the sound but does not really amplify anything. Using the tube preamp outputs the specs are .1% THD and 90dB S/N. These are bad numbers for a DAC, but not so bad for a tube preamp, and the deficiencies are arguably inaudible on music. The obvious question is why you would use a tube buffer if your goal was an inaudible difference from solid state.

- A decent headphone amp (I do not know whether this runs through the tube or not.)

- Remote control (in the case of your DAC-03a) or 3 analog audio inputs (in the DAC-01) which makes it additionally useful for me.

I see there was an earlier discussion about the Maverick Tube DACs which are the same thing. If Amir finds these Dac/Preamps interesting and there is room in the queue I would be happy to send mine off to test.

Last edited:
Top Bottom