• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Xbox Series X Questions.

Silgalias

Heya Folks,

I have a couple of questions about the Xbox Series X. I was planning to install it into my system as a CD/DVD/Blu-ray transport.
From what I understand there is no optical out on the new Xbox Series X only HDMI and USB.
My Gustard X16 DAC has an IIs connector which looks like HDMI but from what I understand they are not the same and not compatible.
This would not be a problem as my Panasonic TX-55DX650B TV has optical out and I can run from that to my Gustard X16.
This would be fine for the CD transport side of things as CD is 16bit which is the maximum for Toslink/Optical.
But what if I want to stream high res audio from the Xbox or play my FLAC files from the hard drive connected to it?
My Gustard X16 also has Coaxial In and I know from Amir`s measurements that the coaxial input on the Gustard X16 is very good.
So I would like to be able to stream 24bit audio from the Xbox Series X and the hard drive connected to it via coaxial which would, I believe, mean using an HDMI audio extractor with a coaxial out as I do not think the Panasonic TX-55DX650B has a coaxial out.
Would this do the job?

or

The second has HDMI 2.0 out though I don`t really have a need for that now it may be useful in the future.
Do I need to wait for a HDMI 2.1 version to be compatible with the Xbox Series X?
Do I need to connect to the HDMI ARC out on my TV or can it go to a normal HDMI 2,0?
From what I understand my TV is 4K/60Hz, so is there any need to wait for the HDMI 2.1 version if my TV will max out at 4k/60hz anyway?
Finally is lag an issue with audio extractors? I have read that they cause input lag, is this correct? And can it be avoided?
Thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it's up to your TV whether there is some internal re-sampling going on, but Toslink naturally is capable of 192Khz/24bit sampling rate for stereo.

Honestly i wouldn't bother, or I would get an AVR and transition into a multi-channel setup with room correction. fiddling with audio extractors is just pointless in my opinion.

OP
S

Silgalias

it's up to your TV whether there is some internal re-sampling going on, but Toslink naturally is capable of 192Khz/24bit sampling rate for stereo.

Honestly i wouldn't bother, or I would get an AVR and transition into a multi-channel setup with room correction. fiddling with audio extractors is just pointless in my opinion.
Thank you.
I thought Toslink/optical maxed out at 16bit. If it can carry 24bit then I don`t really have an issue. I will just use Toslink from the Digital Out of my TV to my DAC and save the bother of an extractor.
I think my TV has settings for the Digital OUT in the options.

Top Bottom