• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

x3500h vs x3700h

Nootmuskaatje

Hello! Would I notice the decrease in performance by downgrading my x3700h to a x3500h? We sadly have no possibility to go in-ceiling in our new home, so I don't fancy having a 11.2 AVR used as a 5.1 or 5.2. So I'm about to downgrade and upgraded my speakers. I can get a x3500h and get €500,- back for my x3700h. Measurements wise, the x3500h is pretty ****** compared to the x3700h. But is it even noticable? I haven't tried many AVR's to know, so I'd like to hear from you guys. I've seen it mentioned often that most things aren't even audible or noticable, but is this theoretical difference in the same ballpark? It'll power my KEF R3's and R2c.

I do wish to have Audyssey MultEQ XT32, that's the most important part for me. I'd like to lower the treble and tweak the curve in the app after measuring with my UMIK-1.

Apparantly the x3500h has a much better SINAD at 1v, but I have no clue what levels are 1v, what are 2v etc... I usually find myself listening at -10 to -15dB for movies.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! Would I notice the decrease in performance by downgrading my x3700h to a x3500h? We sadly have no possibility to go in-ceiling in our new home, so I don't fancy having a 11.2 AVR used as a 5.1 or 5.2. So I'm about to downgrade and upgraded my speakers. I can get a x3500h and get €500,- back for my x3700h. Measurements wise, the x3500h is pretty ****** compared to the x3700h. But is it even noticable? I haven't tried many AVR's to know, so I'd like to hear from you guys. I've seen it mentioned often that most things aren't even audible or noticable, but is this theoretical difference in the same ballpark? It'll power my KEF R3's and R2c.

I do wish to have Audyssey MultEQ XT32, that's the most important part for me. I'd like to lower the treble and tweak the curve in the app after measuring with my UMIK-1.

Apparantly the x3500h has a much better SINAD at 1v, but I have no clue what levels are 1v, what are 2v etc... I usually find myself listening at -10 to -15dB for movies.

At 1V, the avr-x3500h will output about 100 W into 8 ohms At that level, it should perform as good as the x3700h.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

At 1V, the avr-x3500h will output about 100 W into 8 ohms At that level, it should perform as good as the x3700h.
That should for sure be loud enough to drive my speakers without a noticable degradation. Thanks!

Alexium

I also don't think you'll notice the difference in sound quality as long as the power output and headroom is sufficient. Rather, I would consider the features. I have the X2500H, and two primary pain points are no eARC and no HDMI 2.1. I think 3500H has eARC, but definitely no HDMI 2.1.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

I also don't think you'll notice the difference in sound quality as long as the power output and headroom is sufficient. Rather, I would consider the features. I have the X2500H, and two primary pain points are no eARC and no HDMI 2.1. I think 3500H has eARC, but definitely no HDMI 2.1.
I used to game connected to my AVR, so HDMI 2.1 and VRR were things I looked out for as well. But soon it'll be used exclusively for movies and series via my Nvidia shield.

GalZohar

From what I remember the main feature benefit of the x3700h is 2 calibration presets instead of just one. But with MultEQ-X (200$, seems like on sale now for 150$) you can change both the reference and flat curves, so just switching between 2 target curves can be done even with the x3500h, but you will still need the x3700h to compare 2 completely different calibrations with the ability to swap between them relatively quickly. Although keep in mind even preset swapping takes a few seconds, so is not that great for A-B testing.

Another advantage for the x3700h is that a device that was manufactured more recently is a bit more likely to also live somewhat longer.

It's not clear what are you saving? Do you have both and just want to sell the x3700h? In that case also check what you can get for the x3500h. If you can't save some significant $$ it's probably a good idea to just use the x3700h even if just to avoid the need to investigate the possible differences.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

From what I remember the main feature benefit of the x3700h is 2 calibration presets instead of just one. But with MultEQ-X (200$, seems like on sale now for 150$) you can change both the reference and flat curves, so just switching between 2 target curves can be done even with the x3500h, but you will still need the x3700h to compare 2 completely different calibrations with the ability to swap between them relatively quickly. Although keep in mind even preset swapping takes a few seconds, so is not that great for A-B testing.
I did like having 2 calibration presets, one for my desk and one for my couch. But now I won't need two, it'll stay in the living room and the listening spot will always be the same anyway. The most important part for me is subwoofer EQ, that really made a massive difference to my SVS pb1000 pro compared to the Yamaha RX-385 I had before. It is really damn amazing how well it flattened the curve and how I could change it to a nice house curve.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

It's not clear what are you saving? Do you have both and just want to sell the x3700h? In that case also check what you can get for the x3500h. If you can't save some significant $$ it's probably a good idea to just use the x3700h even if just to avoid the need to investigate the possible differences.
I'll be getting €500,- extra. I bought it for 1000,-, so I'll have made no loss since the value of a second-hand x3500h here is around 500,-.

GalZohar

I did like having 2 calibration presets, one for my desk and one for my couch. But now I won't need two, it'll stay in the living room and the listening spot will always be the same anyway. The most important part for me is subwoofer EQ, that really made a massive difference to my SVS pb1000 pro compared to the Yamaha RX-385 I had before. It is really damn amazing how well it flattened the curve and how I could change it to a nice house curve.
I don't Audyssey is any different between 3500 and 3700?

You mean you can return it to get your 1000 euro back, instead of selling your 3500 for 500 euro? For such small price differences it's a not-so-easy choice, but if the 3700 is new and your 3500 is used that alone might justify most of that price difference.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

I don't Audyssey is any different between 3500 and 3700?

You mean you can return it to get your 1000 euro back, instead of selling your 3500 for 500 euro? For such small price differences it's a not-so-easy choice, but if the 3700 is new and your 3500 is used that alone might justify most of that price difference.
They're both used. I'm trading my 1 year old x3700h for a slightly older x3500h + €500,-. I don't have the capabilities to go in-ceiling, since I bought it before I even had a house where I wanted to go 5.1.4. Now I'll be stuck with 5.1 or 5.2 for the next 10 years or so, so keeping the x3700h is a waste of money.

GalZohar

Still you have to keep in mind how much each have been used, the ability to have 2 presets and the supposedly better measurements - If they are worth 500 euro to you. Also, if you have already fully tested your x3700h you know it's fully functional and in good shape, and if you take someone's x3500h you'll have to test it again to see that it's working perfectly.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

Still you have to keep in mind how much each have been used, the ability to have 2 presets and the supposedly better measurements - If they are worth 500 euro to you. Also, if you have already fully tested your x3700h you know it's fully functional and in good shape, and if you take someone's x3500h you'll have to test it again to see that it's working perfectly.
That's why I was asking it. Yes, the x3700h measures better, but is it even audible? I'll be able to test his x3500h when he's here to trade.

GalZohar

That's why I was asking it. Yes, the x3700h measures better, but is it even audible? I'll be able to test his x3500h when he's here to trade.

It will be quite difficult to test, especially when you're time constrained. Considering all other advantages I of the x3700h, I'd lean towards saving 500 euro not being worth the trouble.

Top Bottom