• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wyred4Sound mINT Review (DAC & Amplifier)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the idea behind the streamer project we have created. My hope is that once we get that, then someone can marry it to an amplifier and give us an all in one package with great performance and functionality.
My vote would be for the Purifi Eval 1 using a Ghent case. Isn't Rick Sykora the point man on this? If he is, i can attest he has personal experience getting an Eval 1 (mine) up and running.

Atratusnex

Each load has an independent path to the amplifier and its own dummy load (resistor) so the problem is usually channel dependent. I just ran into this with my power amp testing and saw one channel go much higher in distortion. Checked the screws on my terminals and one had come loose. Tightening it and 90% of the deviation went away (the other 10% was in the unit itself). Dummy load resistors are tricky to pick as they don't come with the specifications for this type of distortion. You really have to test them to make sure they don't add their own distortion. I went through this extensively with Benchmark AHB2 when I initially could not get the same results as them. Benchmark sent me their dummy load which made it clear mine were the problem. I had not seen the issue prior to that due to amplifiers not being as good as theirs and feedback level differing.
So the real life performance with some headphones could be much worse...right? And we will never know if this will be the case for each separate combo ...

aslan7

My vote would be for the Purifi Eval 1 using a Ghent case. Isn't Rick Sykora the point man on this? If he is, i can attest he has personal experience getting an Eval 1 (mine) up and running.
VTV makes a Purifi Eval 1 and it is excellent.

aslan7

I had the big Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 v2 integrated powered by Ice and thought it sounded fine. I sold it because the preamp was of no use to me. The new owner loves it. It would be interesting to see one of those reviewed. You don’t see much about Ice here but I imagine the 1200AS2 is a solid performer.

Top Bottom