• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wyred4Sound mINT Review (DAC & Amplifier)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Wyred4Sound mINT integrated stereo amplifier and DAC. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,499 from the company. I see reviews dating back to 2013 so the box has been around for a while.

The design goes with the rest of Wyred4Sound gear although in person looks less refined than I expect in this price range:

Wyred4Sound Mint Review DAC and USB Amplifier.jpg

The back panel shows some very good functionality such as triggers and home theater pass through:

Wyred4Sound Mint Review back panel DAC and USB Amplifier.jpg

The overall package is small and convenient from that point of view. It ran reasonably cool which was also nice.

As I took this picture, I realized USB only goes up to 96 kHz which is the old school USB interfaces of the time. Fortunately it is asynchronous which was novel at the time and could have been worse in the form of synchronous USB.

Wyred4Sound mINT Measurements
When I first powered on the unit, the measurements were low so to make sure it was not my setup, I took the time to route all cables separately tightened all the connections and performance seemingly improved. But this morning I got up and thought maybe the box was warming up and changes had nothing to do with the wires so ran my standard warm-up test:
Wyred4Sound Mint Analog In Warm Up Measurements Amplifier.png

Looks like my guess was correct. The amp did not stabilize even after 7 minutes of running with load on. I waited at least that long before I took the measurements you see below so represents the warmer side of things. :)

With amplifiers with both digital and analog inputs, I always have to determine which input is best which depends on topology of the amp. So let's do that here, first using Aux In analog input:

Wyred4Sound Mint Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

I tried hard to suppress that mains noise at 60 Hz but every change made it worse. I then switched to USB input:

Wyred4Sound Mint USB In Measurements.png

Man, this is bad. It should be a walk in the park to have DAC that keeps up with an amp that has a SINAD of 77 dB but here we are, with one of the worst performances I have seen with digital input. So let's continue with analog input for the rest of the tests starting with our SINAD rating:

best dac and amp review.png

So below average and disappointing. Even more disappointing is the high noise floor:

Wyred4Sound Mint SNR Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Crosstalk is fine:

Wyred4Sound Mint Crosstalk Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Frequency response unfortunately shows variability which means the class D amp used doesn't use a feedback loop outside of its filter to remove that dependency:

Wyred4Sound Mint Frequency Response Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Assuming you have good high frequency sensitivity, this amplifier will sound different with different speakers.

We see that distortion sets in early and rises a lot:
Wyred4Sound Mint Power into 4 ohm Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Wyred4Sound Mint Power into 8 ohm Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Here is our peak and max power at 1% THD:

Wyred4Sound Mint Max and Peak Power Analog In Measurements Amplifier.png

Sweeping different frequencies shows reasonable response for a class D but not in general:

Wyred4Sound Mint Analog In THD vs Power vs Level Measurements Amplifier.png

Conclusions
I very much like the functionality of the mINT with cute small size. Performance though is subpart and much better can be done than what we have here with discrete parts which may cost even less than this combo.

So I can't recommend the Wyred4Sound mINT. But if you are fond of the functionality, I am not going to chase you out of the room :).

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice to have a datapoint "from the past" (i.e., its age).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since 2011 and still selling today!

Last edited:

mslim

Their DAC Amir reviewed 2 years back was crappy also and it sold for $3,800!

ICEPower modules are inferior compared to Hypex or Purifi but I think they have some market share in car audio and "lifestyle" products. The specs are on ICEpower site. The ASX50S are the worst performer in the range and the above implementation made it even worst.

I think their chip-based amp solutions also look inferior and have these frequency dependent (usually high frequency) distortions.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

YSC

Major Contributor
I used to think consumer electronics were way beyond good enough in a decade or more ago, but seems in audio world that’s completely another story

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to think consumer electronics were way beyond good enough in a decade or more ago, but seems in audio world that’s completely another story
I think back around 2005 and just after consumer audio gear that wasn't junk level pricing was good enough. Say anything $1000 and more you were right. As I am fond of calling it, a solved problem. However, after the crunch of 2008, you had companies trying to go low on pricing and offer a story of the high end ethos. No one was doing any testing to keep them honest, and they got sloppy. Schiit, Emotiva and Wyred4Sound being good examples.

I seem to recall "the Story" on Wyred4Sound was it was a group of designers who supplied top gear that other companies put their name on, and also supplied the internals to others. So they knew the stuff needed, could source components and leave out the middle man offering you true high end deals at a nicer price. Similar story for Emotiva, and Schiit had guys once were behind the expensive Theta gear. And no one to keep them honest. Plus some companies could now source gear of more sophistication from China than previously. So you get these cheap pieces with all the bells and whistles, but no one is minding the store. You do have exceptions like Topping and SMSL.

I think Amir's testing has/is having an effect on some. Schiit actually got with the program so to speak and make some good gear in measured performance. Emotiva has been sly about the occasional bad test result, and regularly kill product lines to replace with another so such testing has little currency past a couple years. Wyred4Sound responded to a previous review and didn't respond well. I guess they are just ignoring things as long as they have orders. Much of their bread and butter product line is nearing 10 years old. With the couple data points on their gear here on ASR, and the age of their products I think many people would no longer consider them at all. They might respond to the wake up call or so far it appears they won't.

It also looks like maybe Denon/Marantz in a few products are upping the game a bit. I think all of it is due to Amir's testing here.

As Amir rapidly tests products we have more and more choices where we know how good the gear really is and can make informed decisions. And as that list grows and grows for any gear no one has tested one is more and more likely to just skip it. No need to risk it if you don't have the data. Smart companies making better than average gear will be sending Amir gear to test. They know they belong on the list and want on the list. Wyred4Sound's kind of response won't cut it for long.

PS we also have Wolf, hardisJ, solderdude and some others (sorry I can't remember you all) supplementing or corroborating the testing by Amir here on ASR. That too is a good thing as more and more people learn to look on ASR for results prior to purchases.

Last edited:

olivier salad

Their DAC Amir reviewed 2 years back was crappy also and it sold for $3,800!

ICEPower modules are inferior compared to Hypex or Purifi but I think they have some market share in car audio and "lifestyle" products. The specs are on ICEpower site. The ASX50S are the worst performer in the range and the above implementation made it even worst.

I think their chip-based amp solutions also look inferior and have these frequency dependent (usually high frequency) distortions.
If you compare datasheets you'll see that 50ASX2 offers great performance in a single end configuration, better than 125ASX2 or other modules from ICEpower. The fact that this manufacturer ran it in bridged mode shows that they didn't know what they were doing.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
About a decade ago NCore was first released, so for class D I'd say a decade is about right. But class A/AB has been better than this for ages.

DACs_Lover

Oh. I was again shocked. Wyred4sound has been praised in the absolute sound If I remembered correctly. This is bad.
A few weeks back I was shocked by the measurement of PSaudio gears once. Now, this.
All audiophile electronics companies are full of lies.

I often listen to Paul on youtube, after a directstream DAC measurement. No more.

Shocked / Shocked and Shocked. I am disillusioned.
Thank you Amir.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: EdW

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They spelled integraDed instead of integraTed.
I gather that. I was pointing out to the fact that their brand name is also a misspell.

F1308

Major Contributor
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499
US $1,499

Do you understand what 1$ is meant...?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am shocked at how badly this measures. Ten years ago this was the unit I would have bought if I'd had the money, at least based on reviews. I guess the financial crisis that left me unemployed at the time saved me from a bad purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom