• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WXC-50 DSP settings via Coax

BitPerfect_

Hi, @Yamaha WXC-50 users.
Would you please have a look and share with me this info,

Having the unit in Preamp mode, Direct mode OFF, feeding a DAC or AMP using the Coax output, specially for those with older software / firmware versions, you'll be still able to use the Bass Extension, the Enhancer, the EQ, the Speaker Type from the DSP Sound section, are these settings still functioning and applied?

In my case, with the latest firmware 2.86 and latest software versions 4.50, the settings looks active but doesn't apply.
I've done an AB test comparing the WXC-50 RCA's output with Coax output, and using the RCA's the DSP Sound settings are fine.
Thanks,

82949C74-E965-4666-AD0F-93D3F6323684.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Isn't it normal that a optical and coax out bypass the internal DAC?

OP
B

BitPerfect_

As far as I remember and according to the manual only in Player mode these settings are by-passed.
Otherwise, using the Coax there are no restrictions in this way, except DSD playback.
For by-passing the DSP, there is the Direct mode switch.
Here is the confirmation.

WXC-50.jpg

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Meanwhile I’ve tried the optical output and the same story, still no DSP working settings.
Is there any WXC-50 user able to try this test for me using an optical or coax cable to output to an Amp or something observing the EQ, Enhancer, Bass extension, Speaker type if are functional in Pre amp mode please?

I appreciate it!

gopher

I'm a little bit miffed that I updated my firmware on the weekend on my WXC-50. I don't seem to be able to switch between EQ modes now while in Preamp mode. I am able to switch the Sound Modes (Direct, Enhancer, Bass Extension), but the EQ section appears to be frozen at AUTO for me. Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to fix this?

OP
B

BitPerfect_

But wait, you can switch to manual I guess? If you push the Auto preset name.
Or try Room Settings / Advanced settings / Sound / EQ but before that, check the Memory Guard to be Off in this menu Advanced settings/ Other Setup

Last edited:

Gyosa1

Don’t need to ….
I know from having one unit hooked up via coax to a 851n , and another unit hooked up to a A21 via rca cables , the DSP settings are inop for anything other than rca …because you’re bypassing the Yamaha's DAC unless you’re using rca.

optical and coax out are digital, bypassing all DSP which would use the yamahas dac.
using optical or coax out requires an external dac , and that is where any DSP would take place.

bk

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Great good to know then.
I thought that like we have in some cases (e.g. the possibility to use the volume in Pre Amp mode via Coax/Toslink) plus the fact that in the manual doesn’t tell exactly this thing excepting the Player mode, adding the Yamaha confirmation received from the support team (that in Pre Amp mode these settings are actually not bypassed), my unit was fried on the digital output side or something.

It looks like that’s the way it should be.
Thank you for your feedback.
All the best,

nn_in

Hi Folks.WXC50 queries.
Does this have tone controls or filters to select to increase/decrease the base/treble.
Preamp setting - which output allows control via the volume control and ESS DAC.
Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
B

BitPerfect_

Hi, yes but the filters (including manual EQ) exposed in the first post, it looks like are available only via RCA not digital output despite the fact that in the manual there are no limitations in Pre amp mode.

On the other hand, the volume could be adjusted in Pre amp mode using any output (RCA, Optic, Coax).

Top Bottom