• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTT my RME ADI-2 DAC fs for a Denafrips Ares II (or similar r2r) DAC.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here’s an example of what I love, listen to both (all the way through as there are tons of changes) and lemme know what you think may work. I appreciate it.
First one sounds pretty good to me, actually. Drums have nice punch, guitar is clear, voice is not overbearing. I don't see the need to edit anything at all. I especially like the "non grunt" parts of it, though I did get a good chuckle out of the voice effect.

I am sorry I cannot listen to the second one. A wee bit too much for me. (I usually listen to classical music :D )

I need to learn more about the frequencies to learn WHAT I need to tweak.
Yes that is true.
Such knowledge also takes time and experimentation. You are leaving the realm of science on this one and enter the artistic process.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

Thanks for listening. Believe it or not, that’s her natural sound when she screams - no effects needed!!

Let me ask you this, there are the basic bass and treble adjustments that can be done with the default knob 1 and 2 actions. Those two adjustments are completely different than messing with the bass and treble frequencies on the EQ, right? That is, I wonder if I can start just by changing the bass and treble with the default knob functions. Thanks again

First one sounds pretty good to me, actually. Drums have nice punch, guitar is clear, voice is not overbearing. I don't see the need to edit anything at all. I especially like the "non grunt" parts of it, though I did get a good chuckle out of the voice effect.

I am sorry I cannot listen to the second one. A wee bit too much for me. (I usually listen to classical music :D )

Yes that is true.
Such knowledge also takes time and experimentation. You are leaving the realm of science on this one and enter the artistic process.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for listening. Believe it or not, that’s her natural sound when she screams - no effects needed!!
Tatiana Shmailyuk is no doubt a Great vocalist, but she's actually using reverb effects in this video.;)
Those two adjustments are completely different than messing with the bass and treble frequencies on the EQ, right?
Right, since you can choose precisely to FR point to be pulled down or up with the EQ: Much more precise ajustements.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

Aahh, a fellow metal head!!! Yes, I was just getting across the point that her voice really goes that low. Amazing live!

Tatiana Shmailyuk is no doubt a Great vocalist, but she's actually using reverb effects in this video.;)

Right, since you can choose precisely to FR point to be pulled down or up with the EQ: Much more precise ajustements.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for the response!

I have read the manual several times and as very familiar with the menu structure- what I mean is that I need to learn more about the frequencies to learn WHAT I need to tweak. I know that left is bass, right is treble, and midrange is in the middle. Haha.
Perhaps I’d be better off experimenting with Peace/EQ APO with some presets for now.
As a start, I’d suggest reading through the following and applying some of Oratory1990’s or Amir’s EQ settings. Once you’ve gone through those steps, you can make adjustments to your personal preference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n

Aerith Gainsborough

Let me ask you this, there are the basic bass and treble adjustments that can be done with the default knob 1 and 2 actions. Those two adjustments are completely different than messing with the bass and treble frequencies on the EQ, right?
Yes and no.
You can configure them the same way as you can configure a shelf filter in the EQ via the I/O -> Bass/Treble menu:
Looks like this, this one attenuates the treble (negative dB values):
download.jpg

Frequency (Hz, the green dot), Q (slope inclination) and amplitude (gain in dB).

They work the same way as the EQ, except the gain is ready to be adjusted w/o entering any menus at all.

Think of them as a shortcut to bands 0 and 6 from the EQ. They sure are a good point to start your experimentation.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is plain wrong to begin with. More distorsion lead to the exact opposite sound.

The more transparent. You already has one.

Yep, for sure. Think about this: you're seeking for a DAC to act as a (permanent) tone control but don't want to play with the plenty of DSP available. That doesn't make a lot of sense, don't you think?

Try to apply really light EQ (1 or 2 dB max at each band) and see what's happening. I've never heard my K712 Pro sounding as good as with the ADI-2 EQ.

Yup- and you can use software like @pkane Distort to add harmonic distortion to taste too, on top of or instead of PEQ.

Aerith Gainsborough

Yeah.. buy a Kilobuck™ high-end transparent DAC and then add a program that barfs out harmonic distortions .... now THAT's what I would call "wasted money".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah.. buy a Kilobuck™ high-end transparent DAC and then add a program that barfs out harmonic distortions .... now THAT's what I would call "wasted money".

A far cheaper experiment than buying said dac then swapping it for a good but distortion adding R2R in its place.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But that has to be applied per-song, correct? Not as a total system-wide EQ?

That I actually don't know. But would work for getting a flavour of what a higher distortion dac might do for you.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

I wonder if finding a nice DAC with a Burr Brown chip set would give me more of what I’m searching for... hmmm.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

Closed.
Traded outside of ASR for an Audio-GD r-28.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, when s/he (lets face it, only a guy would use the handle killerQ, or phorize for that matter) is ready to learn a teacher will appear;)

Mind you, it’s opened up my mind to the possibility that my 1960s turntable may be able to beat a dac in a SINAD head to head.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom