• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTFPLAY

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
foobar2000 for the win :) just combination of playing,WASAPI, ASIO and some useful encoding plugins makes it perfect for me. It runs on Android too! My previous favorite was WinAmp 2.xx. Command line and Linux only - very niche, for sysadmins? ;)

OP
Reddy

Reddy

my previous favorite was extrem reduced win server in ram with fidelizer pro and mqn player.

manueljenkin

Bullshit and closed source.
>TODO: Add support for gapless playback.
>basically cmus or mpd but worse
>no mention of replaygain anywhere
Pure gold. It's basically selling rice to people who never riced their setup.

You forgot that it doesn't cost a dime. Anyone can use it for free. It is bitperfect by design, so replaygain will not be implemented.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You forgot that it doesn't cost a dime.
Like almost all software on GNU/Linux; including the mentioned cmus and mpd.
Anyone can use it for free.
But people who want to use their computer for real cannot modify it for their purpose.
It is bitperfect by design, so replaygain will not be implemented.
Well, it's definitely for easy-to-fool audiophiles, then.

But really, releasing a music player without gapless playback is a bad joke that makes it unfit for anyone caring about quality; especially when it's very easy to implement, just don't reopen the device if the format doesn't change between tracks.
The damage done to classical music and more particularly operas is way more important than the placebo additions.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit perfect player software does not generally sound different.

There is not any need for bit perfect in all situations it is not a goal in itself.

manueljenkin

Like almost all software on GNU/Linux.

But people who want to use their computer for real cannot modify it for their purpose.

Well, it's definitely for easy-to-fool audiophiles, then.

But really, releasing a music player without gapless playback is a bad joke that makes it unfit for anyone caring about quality; especially when it's very easy to implement, just don't reopen the device if the format doesn't change between tracks.
The damage done to classical music and more particularly operas is way more important than the placebo additions.
You speak for yourself. Not everyone needs to have the same needs or interests as you do. For me, an os without any distractions and easy commandline - just a few tabs to make things play is something that I find quick and enjoyable. Live cd, so no need to partition and install either, only to have the boot messed up again by a windows update.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Completely agree, and a ton of other genres are also affected. I view this as effectively producing 100% distortion on a regular basis. Even apple worked this out over a decade ago.

manueljenkin

I'm guessing from this response it wasn't common sense, or hearing only. Imagination isn't a sense.
Armchair opinions, thinking every audible parameter is covered with a limited subset of measurements (most of them static or steady state) isn't common sense either.

Science often can't prove that something can never occur. It's just a framework to predict the behavior and outcome of something using past experiences, experiments and reasoning. They may anytime be over written.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
To be fair, "more transparency and details" could mean "see through GUI and thorough documentation" ;)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Armchair opinions, thinking every audible parameter is covered with a limited subset of measurements (most of them static or steady state) isn't common sense either.

Science often can't prove that something can never occur. It's just a framework to predict the behavior and outcome of something using past experiences, experiments and reasoning. They may anytime be over written.
In this case a specific claim has been made, on a scientific forum, so we expect evidence to back this up. Got any evidence?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems less than useless, text based gui plays files from local storage only , what do you even as remote control?

Also no network so you can’t use Remote Desktop or VNC or similar from a tablet to control

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these trolls put them on ignore ? There is whole audiophile subculture around software players and OS optimisation , it’s all basically BS the usual sighted tested and cognitive bias apply .

This program would be easy to test as I connects to USB DAC.

manueljenkin

In this case a specific claim has been made, on a scientific forum, so we expect evidence to back this up. Got any evidence?
I don't really see any IEEE or other certifications on this forum. Neither do I see proper citations for opinions being posted here. So I doubt I can take things said here to be "scientifically" correct as of present state of understanding.

You're certainly eligible to expect evidence to get convinced no doubt. It certainly is your personal choice. Unfortunately I don't have evidence as of now. I do know people who have measured difference between foobar and bass library based players, both in asio and wasapi both, but I don't have equipment to. Maybe if you can gift/loan me an analyser or ADC of high quality, I could likely measure and show.

Top Bottom