• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTB: Remote for Topping DX7

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Why not just try an inexpensive remote first like Ray mentioned. They usually have a code step through mode where you point it at the turned on device and keep hitting power until it goes off. If / when it finds it (turns off) the other functions you need will probable work. There is often some uniformity in code format grouping that manufactures use. I noticed you did order a cheap RCA, that has a step through mode, it might work try it. You might not get all functions, but power on/off, volume might work. Others might work also but might not be well defined on the remote buttons. Worth a try for $7.

Last edited:
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheap RCA is DOA. Will order a replacement and see how that goes. I like how simple it is. The Logitech has far too many buttons and is not backlit which was another mistake on my part.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The cheap RCA is DOA. Will order a replacement and see how that goes. I like how simple it is. The Logitech has far too many buttons and is not backlit which was another mistake on my part.
That sucks. Hopefully when you get the replacement it will pick up some functions. What do you really want to work? I would be happy if the volume up and down worked.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My Cable Box Remote...

I blindly stepped through the codes (many steps), stopped when it turned the amplifier on/off.

As a bonus it changes the volume on the preamp.

That's all I wanted out of it.

I have no idea if any other functions happen to work, but I have a "real" remote to access them.

---

Turns out Krell is listed as a choice, with three device entries:

upload_2018-2-12_11-36-48.png

Topping isn't listed...

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
My Cable Box Remote...

I blindly stepped through the codes (many steps), stopped when it turned the amplifier on/off.

As a bonus it changes the volume on the preamp.

That's all I wanted out of it.

I have no idea if any other functions happen to work, but I have a "real" remote to access them.

---

Turns out Krell is listed as a choice, with three device entries:

View attachment 10580

Topping isn't listed...
That's cool. Even though it is not listed it still might work as sometimes small manufactures will use the same codes as a well known brand. Like a no name TV might work with LG or Samsung codes etc. Can't hurt to try.

astr0b0y

Logitech say they have added the DX7s to their database. This is the message I received.

Thank you for replying with the required information. Based on your feedback, we have added your model in our database. I’d recommend you to add the device in the following format to your account to check if that works as expected.

Manufacturer: Toppings
Model: DX7s

I won’t be getting mine for a few weeks yet, so anyone with a DX7 or DX7s and Harmony should be able to add the DAC and incorporate it into your activities.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Logitech say they have added the DX7s to their database. This is the message I received.

Thank you for replying with the required information. Based on your feedback, we have added your model in our database. I’d recommend you to add the device in the following format to your account to check if that works as expected.

I won’t be getting mine for a few weeks yet, so anyone with a DX7 or DX7s and Harmony should be able to add the DAC and incorporate it into your activities.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Uni...D=41vTDvulqkL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you! Unfortunately, the Harmony PC software is crap. Syncing keeps failing at 99%. I worked around this earlier by switching to a different USB port, but its back now. This issue has been reported by many users online and Logitech doesn't even bother responding. There was one ridiculous workaround found by users where you keep tapping on the OK button repeatedly during sync but that didn't work for me either.

astr0b0y

That’s very annoying! I haven’t had that issue myself and have owned 4 Harmony remotes over the last 10 years. One thing that does seem to make things go wrong with the current iteration of software is the reliance on Microsoft Silverlight as a subsystem. If the version of Silverlight installed on your system is old, try updating that to the latest version and see if it helps with the hanging update.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had problems with it being very fussy about which usb cable works.

The software is crap, always has been, but they find ways to make it worse every few years.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Syncing keeps failing at 99%

Did you try it to see if it works with the DAC?

Software: Are we done here?
Remote: Yes
Software: What?
Remote: Yes
(repeat)

astr0b0y

Agreed, not a great user experience. However, I must be used to it by now as I was able to add the DX7s pretty easily. Just need to DAC now...

Attachments

• 1FBF586C-4195-45A6-B2DB-7D08FFB9DAF5.png
    1FBF586C-4195-45A6-B2DB-7D08FFB9DAF5.png
    493.4 KB · Views: 181
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got it to work and configured it to switch sources etc. Had to try different USB ports till it finally worked.

Thanks all for the responses. For $23, this is a decent deal now that I got it to work.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
upload_2018-2-14_18-30-2.png

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wow awesome! I might buy a harmony just to control all the devices in my room if it also supports the DX7 now lol

FunctionalDoc

I just ordered a new Dx7 of Alliexpress for $339 and was wondering which Logitech remote works with these units 350 0r 650 ? So do you go a Logitech to download the HEx codes ? Still confused after reading the thread.

Thanks for your assistance since would nice to be able to power it on and off and adjust the remote volume setting.

FunctionalDoc

The ad photos didn't show the remote. I hope they won't say we don't have the DX7 . IF they pull that then the should give me the DX7s for that great price. I changed mine an went back in on the THX drop since I heard this cruit on HD 8oo's and several other headphones at RMAF this past year nad like what I heard.

Top Bottom