• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTB: Hypex NC252MP amplifier module

flohmann

While sheltering in place, I'd sure love to take on a DIY simple class D amp build (inspired by Archimago!). Anyone holding some extra hypex 252mp modules they'd be willing to part with? The usual eBay sellers seem fresh out for the time being.

OP
F

flohmann

Yup, nothing on hifishark for a bare module (the German listing is sold). But I will keep checking there, along with eBay. I'm still hoping someone here has a spare to sell.

starless

While sheltering in place, I'd sure love to take on a DIY simple class D amp build (inspired by Archimago!). Anyone holding some extra hypex 252mp modules they'd be willing to part with? The usual eBay sellers seem fresh out for the time being.
Might be worth looking at the Hypex Plate Amplifiers (FA Series). These are widely available. I think that they use the same technology as the NC series. The 1 series e.g. FA201, FA 501) are single channel don't include DSP and have only analog inputs - so they are a bit like the NC series. The 3 and 3 series e.g. FA252 include DSP and bot analog and digital inputs. I'd need to check the manual to be certain but I suspect that means that the analog inputs go through A->D and D->A conversion - might be worth checking with Hypex.

ehabheikal

Might be worth looking at the Hypex Plate Amplifiers (FA Series). These are widely available. I think that they use the same technology as the NC series. The 1 series e.g. FA201, FA 501) are single channel don't include DSP and have only analog inputs - so they are a bit like the NC series. The 3 and 3 series e.g. FA252 include DSP and bot analog and digital inputs. I'd need to check the manual to be certain but I suspect that means that the analog inputs go through A->D and D->A conversion - might be worth checking with Hypex.

I think those plates can not run stereo on one plate even if it has 2 channels you will need 2 plates

ehabheikal

Apparently Hypex has really cracked down on resellers selling these OEM only modules. The previous main US supplier confirmed to me they will no longer sell to individuals.

I pressed like at your post for you, thanx i would press unlike at hypex. We generate a lot of wom and "noise" lol about their products because we get cheap modules etc.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I pressed like at your post for you, thanx i would press unlike at hypex. We generate a lot of wom and "noise" lol about their products because we get cheap modules etc.
Thanks, but not sure I follow.

The issue is not with Hypex, but with the resellers who chose to break the OEM agreement they were to abide by. Also, there are Hypex OEM's who provide assembled OEM amps for the same, or not much more, cost than a DIY'er could do it for. AND, Hypex supplies one of their best amps (and imo one of the best to be had in the world), directly to us DIY'ers.

Hypex is a pretty cool outfit imo. The resellers who broke the rules they agreed to follow, and set incorrect expectations to unknowning DIY'ers, are the real problem (just like when people buy grey market AVR's and other electronics, and then get mad at the manufacturer when they won't "honor" a non-existent warranty).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only option is to buy a plate amp and remove the module from it, and install in your case...

rvsixer

The only option is to buy a plate amp and remove the module from it, and install in your case...
Or buy an assembled amp from an OEM, (that costs about $50 more than what you could assemble a module and case for, and certainly less than gutting a plate amp and putting it in your case).

ehabheikal

The plate amp if used in stereo can be a dac/amp/room correction using the dsp at the prices they have it would be crazy

Archsam

Just wondering does anyone know how much a bare Hypex NC252MP module cost?

I'm about to purchase a IOM NCore 250 stereo xlr which costs €550. How much of that is going towards the material?

rvsixer

Just wondering does anyone know how much a bare Hypex NC252MP module cost? I'm about to purchase a IOM NCore 250 stereo xlr which costs €550. How much of that is going towards the material?
When NC252's could be had, they went for around $300 USD, and a nice case is about $150, so about $450 USD if you DIY.
IOM overpriced imo, audiophonics.fr sells a completed NC252MP amp for 391 euro (at that price, cost alone is not a reason to DIY imo).

Archsam

When NC252's could be had, they went for around $300 USD, and a nice case is about $150, so about $450 USD if you DIY.
IOM overpriced imo, audiophonics.fr sells a completed NC252MP amp for 391 euro (at that price, cost alone is not a reason to DIY imo).

Thanks for the info rvsixer. I literally just looked into the audiophonics.fr version and I am now having cold feet with IOM, as you said.

Only thing with the audiophonics amp is it only comes in black, whereas IOM can do me one in silver. With tax and shipping the IOM amp will cost me 689 euros, that's quite a steep uplift in cost just for the sake of a silver case!

rvsixer

...Only thing with the audiophonics amp is it only comes in black, whereas IOM can do me one in silver. With tax and shipping the IOM amp will cost me 689 euros, that's quite a steep uplift in cost just for the sake of a silver case!
And as I mentioned, if silver is a must a decent case is $150 USD.... you would still be saving more than a 100 euro off IOM. Or just wrap the faceplate :) .

SloPoke

Forum Donor
For sale on AVS Forum

(no connection to seller or the sale, just drawing attention to it if haven't seen...)

Top Bottom