• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTB: Genelec 8050/KH310A (Asia)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are a dealer or reseller that can cut a good ex-demo/B-stock/consignment deal for either speaker and has decent shipping fees to Asia, please drop me a PM too

Long shot - but thought I'd post it here. Prices for Genelec and Neumann are extortionate locally and when they appear on resale, they go for idiotic prices that I cannot justify. I'm literally seeing 4-5 year old KH120As for only $200 less than MSRP here, to put it into perspective - and still more than a brand new set from Thomann with shipping and taxes.

I know that prices, especially in Europe, can be a lot more affordable for both brands and depreciation can be a lot more. I'm looking for either a KH310A or a Genelec 8050 preferably <3 years old. I could ship either from Thomann but their new prices are just a bit more than I'd like to pay as I need to factor in the cost of a MiniDSP + Dirac. Am looking specifically into these models because I want a bit more headroom, comfortable 40Hz extension at moderate SPLs, and unimpeachably clean sound at lower SPLs. And I'm looking into these analog models because I want to run MiniDSP + Dirac rather than lock myself into a brand-specific room correction system. So in the off chance you have a clean, well taken care-of set of either, are experienced with packing speakers for international shipping and if you have favourable shipping rates to Singapore for some reason, do ping me with an offer.

(I could totally just go with the KH80 + KH750 + MA1 route but I don't like the crippled max SPL around 100-300Hz. But many many people seem to be happy with a similar midbass radiating area in the LS50 Meta, which is 5.25-inch but has a tweeter in the centre eating up midbass area, so perhaps a dedicated 4.5-inch might be usable yet)

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I've quite often seen forum threads here [in SA], sometimes with calculations and estimates for shipping and taxes, particularly Marantz and Denon AVRs, finding quite serious dealer margins, then trying to rationalise it in terms of dealer running costs and so on. :confused:

Liya

Long shot - but thought I'd post it here. Prices for Genelec and Neumann are extortionate locally and when they appear on resale, they go for idiotic prices that I cannot justify. I'm literally seeing 4-5 year old KH120As for only $200 less than MSRP here, to put it into perspective - and still more than a brand new set from Thomann with shipping and taxes.

I know that prices, especially in Europe, can be a lot more affordable for both brands and depreciation can be a lot more.
Not really. Ebay prices in UK for Neumanns and Genelec are just as idiotic as where you are.
I've seen KH80 for £700 s/h while you can get new with free delivery for £800 or £740 (same dealer with a discount).
KH120 on ebay for £800 (ten years old, no boxes, few scratches); new pair: £1050, free delivery.
Same with Genelecs.

ps. they cannot sell them at this prices for months and ignore reasonable offers.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've quite often seen forum threads here [in SA], sometimes with calculations and estimates for shipping and taxes, particularly Marantz and Denon AVRs, finding quite serious dealer margins, then trying to rationalise it in terms of dealer running costs and so on. :confused:

The worst thing is Sennheiser handles distribution for Neumann directly here! But somehow the KH310 is over $1k more than elsewhere. Granted, the gap has shrunk with the increasing MSRP with the KH150 coming out, but still a ridiculous difference.

jae

Major Contributor
In a similar situation, prices in Oceania are ridiculous and its cheaper for me to get a KH 80/120 from Thomann than buy one new here Amazon or even locally (even after tax and $200 shipping...). Used market non-existent over here compared to back home in North America. I'm considering to just prepare for the damage and getting KH 150 w/o sub on release and using ethernet.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a similar situation, prices in Oceania are ridiculous and its cheaper for me to get a KH 80/120 from Thomann than buy one new here Amazon or even locally (even after tax and $200 shipping...). Used market non-existent over here compared to back home in North America. I'm considering to just prepare for the damage and getting KH 150 w/o sub on release and using ethernet.

Do you know if Neumann still offers international warranty? Last I checked, they did

Katji

Major Contributor
That last forum discussion I feferred to was quite recent and someone said that shipping costs (like for dealers/distributors - containers / part containers) were 3 to 5 times higher than before the pandemic disruption, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't take into account the recent fuel price increases.

jae

Major Contributor
Do you know if Neumann still offers international warranty? Last I checked, they did
Yes, 2 years for all new products I believe. There are exceptions for USA, Brazil, Australia which handle their own warranty domestically via the respective Sennheiser entities in those countries. Not sure if the Australian one would apply to me, since I technically wouldn't be purchasing it domestically even though it would be shipped there. Not sure if Asia has anything like that or it would have to go back to Germany.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, 2 years for all new products I believe. There are exceptions for USA, Brazil, Australia which handle their own warranty domestically via the respective Sennheiser entities in those countries. Not sure if the Australian one would apply to me, since I technically wouldn't be purchasing it domestically even though it would be shipped there. Not sure if Asia has anything like that or it would have to go back to Germany.

Sennheiser's Asia HQ is where I am, but they stopped selling Neumanns directly. International warranty should apply unless they try to weasel out of it but I have not seen any indication the terms have changed. This makes Thomann purchases especially favourable.

But I imagine you'd have to send yours back to Germany since the Australian warranty operates separately.

BTW - for everyone else reading this thread. If you are a dealer or reseller that can cut a good ex-demo/B-stock/consignment deal and has decent shipping fees to Asia, please drop me a PM too.

Top Bottom