• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wow. Only $250!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on now. WOS was all about some tubes. So they want carbon nano-tubes.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody tried to claim they have used diamond in some audiofrippery yet?

'Cos diamond is basically the BEST. Properties. Lots of them.

Reactions: PSO

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Carbon isn't a very good conductor

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Carbon isn't a very good conductor
Ah, but this has tubes.. So the sound can swim through the carbons openly. With space.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Once again logic fails a reviewer:

1587942201577.png

So all this time with his fancy PS Audio DS DAC and all, he had a flat center image prior to cable upgrade? How could he call himself audiophile if that was the system he had assembled prior to this cable change? All the electronics for which he paid thousands of dollars were performing this poorly? And he did not know it?

Of course this makes no sense. Where he went wrong was this:

1587942522440.png

At first he hears no difference which is neither here, nor there. But then he notices something he had not before. Reason for this is simple: he had not intently listened to this track before to notice whatever that was. This had nothing to do with the new cable. But he puts two and two together and attributes it to the cable. Now the predisposition bias sets in and when he goes back to the older generic cable, he is not as satisfied. This process happens all the time and is by far the best reason people believe in improvements that don't exist.

Listeners need to accept that their brain is not digital recorder that remembers everything. It simply cannot. Our hearing is highly lossy and we only remember a fraction of what is in music. When we focus on what is there, as in comparing cables, then naturally we notice things that went by before like the fence posts as you were driving to work every day. We must accept that our hearing perception is NOT repeatable this way. It hears "new things" when nothing is new.

This has happened to me so many times. The only cure is to then perform the test blind and that obvious difference goes out the window. Or it gets attributed to the other the hardware configuration.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody tried to claim they have used diamond in some audiofrippery yet?

'Cos diamond is basically the BEST. Properties. Lots of them.
I seem to recall some diamond dust coated speaker parts for heat dispersal. And there are diamond cartridges for sure.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is audio comedy gold. Some of my favorite lines:
  • I find that in the absence of absolutes and meaningful measurements, comparison is the only way to evaluate most audio components.
  • And the difference? Space.
  • The reason? Who knows?
  • I could be completely wrong about the reason, but I’m in no doubt as to the resultant improvement.
  • What does this mean for you? Not that much really.
  • Don’t expect differences to be of the slap-in-the-face variety.
  • Be sure to burn them in – I put about five weeks worth of running on the AQ – before forming any judgements.
For a digital interconnect. Brilliant.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listeners need to accept that their brain is not digital recorder that remembers everything. It simply cannot

Cognitive dissonance can counter that and its a strong force. Like you said, listeners need to be aware of this. As the old saying goes in the field of software engineering - In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I can say: if you can’t hear any differences between Ethernet or usb cables, in fact cables in general, it is because your systems are not resolving enough. How do I know that? You ask? Because my system is resolving enough. How do I know the level of resolution of my system ? Because My system allows me to hear differences between cables. How did I come to assemble a system that allows me such high level of resolution? By hearing differences between cables on my previous system ... and being able to afford ever more expensive accessories and components. You should know that a $15,000 DAC , for example, in spite of measuring worse than a $10 Apple dongle, is automatically better since it is more expensive. Of course the $30,000 version of my DAC is better than the $15,000 one , itself the lesser of the quad-boxes stack costing $100,000. They are coming with a version that cost $150,000.
in the end this $250 cable is good for its price. Certainly not the equal of the $10,000 Model. How do I know that, you ask ? .... please read the BS above. :cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom