• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wow! OMG! How do you express intense like without being over-dramatic?

arancano

I am glad I've lasted to 73 years old. I've blissed listening to music over the last 50 years through live performances and with a large variety of hi-end and hi-end adjacent gear. Although memories can deceive us, my current rig is the culmination of a fabulous journey.

Perhaps my hearing has gotten less discerning, but the Heco Aurora 1000, fed by a Willsenton R8, Schiit Saga passive preamp, Denafrips Pontus II DAC and Iris DDC via Blue Jeans cabling is the most synergistic and musical audio system I've ever had. The analog front end with a new generation Technics SL-1210GR turntable, Lyra Delos MC cart and Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp is every bit a match for the digital side. And the least costly.

I would not be able to evaluate recorded music reproduction without having had live concert experience for five decades. With those sounds stored in my memory banks, I can easily see why the soundstage, instrument separation, transparency, detail, three-dimensionality and tonality of my current system translates into uncontrollably shaking my Cuban hips to Caribbean rhythms, dropping tears of sadness and joy, and feeling the deep satisfaction that terrific musical performances and sound reproduction can create.

I would also not be able to evaluate recorded music reproduction without having had the experience of listening to outstanding, and often quite expensive, gear over the years. I was fortunate to be friends with the owner of Chicago's premier audio store. I've heard the best of the best in my own listening space, having had take-out privileges for practically any gear that could be easily carried in and out, Top-of-the-line Magnepan, Dahlquist, Quad, Martin Logan, Focal, KEF and Klipsch speakers have been among the many exceptional speakers in my listening rooms.

That's why at this point I can safely say that I am thoroughly satisfied with my audio rig. End game system? Who knows? Death is the only real end-game. However, I can safely offer the observation that for $6,000 you can have sound quality that rivals audio systems many times that cost. The crowning acquisition that showed all of my gear at its best was the recent purchase of the Heco Aurora 1000 speakers.

Practically any well-recorded music can sound exceptional through these speakers. It measures extremely well and hears just as good. How often can we say that? They are a veritable steal at their current Amazon price of $1,600 a pair. Mention any descriptor typically used for speakers and the Heco 1000 punches way above its price, and as high as any speaker I've heard.

I would not in the least hesitate to recommend them for a trial in your system. They can be easily returned if purchased through Amazon. However, I would bet that is minimally likely to happen. You may not have my experience with live music or heard the large variety of top-end gear I have. However, I think their sound is so engaging that anyone with a decent front-end and intact hearing will be able to appreciate them.

If there was a rating of six stars, they would certainly qualify for a Wow! and an OMG!

Listening Room.jpg

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel the same about my current gear and I spent about the same as you. Current system blows the doors off my last 20k system.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's why at this point I can safely say that I am thoroughly satisfied with my audio rig.
That's a good thing!!! . The whole goal should be your musical enjoyment.

I am also currently satisfied. My latest (but not exactly "recent") addition was a pair of 15-inch DIY subwoofers. My main speakers (also DIY) have 12-inch woofers but still the bass was a little lacking and I needed a sub for surround sound.

I can easily see why the soundstage, instrument separation, transparency, detail, three-dimensionality and tonality of my current system
50% of that is probably the recordings and 50% you speakers (and maybe your listening room). Modern electronics has a very small effect on sound quality (assuming it's not defective). I'm not sure about your tube preamp though... The outdated technology may be as-good as solid state or maybe it's intended to add "tube vibe" (distortion)?

But I'm surprised you're still "playing records". ;) You've got a few years on me, but I also grew-up with vinyl. I always hated the clicks & pops. In those days, I could "live with" the other slight background noise and other limitations. But now with digital, I certainly appreciate the absolute dead-silent background, lack of audible distortion, and ruler-flat frequency response. The frequency response (or "frequency balance") on records was generally lousy in those days too (rolled-off highs), with a few exceptions. If you listen to classical, the rumor is that classical records generally had better quality. And I assume modern records are better.

ta240

Major Contributor
From what James Larson wrote about them, it sounds like Hecco spent the money in the most important areas on those speakers and skimped where it wouldn't matter as much. That seems like a key factor in getting good, affordable speakers.

OP
A

arancano

That's a good thing!!! . The whole goal should be your musical enjoyment.

I am also currently satisfied. My latest (but not exactly "recent") addition was a pair of 15-inch DIY subwoofers. My main speakers (also DIY) have 12-inch woofers but still the bass was a little lacking and I needed a sub for surround sound.

50% of that is probably the recordings and 50% you speakers (and maybe your listening room). Modern electronics has a very small effect on sound quality (assuming it's not defective). I'm not sure about your tube preamp though... The outdated technology may be as-good as solid state or maybe it's intended to add "tube vibe" (distortion)?

But I'm surprised you're still "playing records". ;) You've got a few years on me, but I also grew-up with vinyl. I always hated the clicks & pops. In those days, I could "live with" the other slight background noise and other limitations. But now with digital, I certainly appreciate the absolute dead-silent background, lack of audible distortion, and ruler-flat frequency response. The frequency response (or "frequency balance") on records was generally lousy in those days too (rolled-off highs), with a few exceptions. If you listen to classical, the rumor is that classical records generally had better quality. And I assume modern records are better.
I would agree with your percentages. Good recordings can be quite enjoyable, even when played in lesser quality systems. I think though that electronics may have more to do with sound quality than you give it credit for. Particularly true of modern, well-designed tube amps like the Willsenton R8. If you have not heard it, stay open-minded. You could be in for a treat.

I am also surprised of still playing records :) I have maybe 50 records left. All are superb recordings that, having been properly cleaned, have few if any pops and clicks left. They are a joy to listen to. I grew up with vinyl. I still remember explaining to friends the ins and outs of my Linn Sondek and Michell GyroDec turntables at that time. I had to, because they could not understand why I spent money on audio instead of drinks :) I don't think they ever got it.

I also used tapes, having recorded many live concerts and recitals by friends who were/still are musicians and singers. The sad part of getting older is not remembering everything. I know I had Revox and Tandberg R2R decks, but no matter how hard I try I can't remember what ever became of them. Maybe the memory banks have to kick out some info to allow for new stuff. More often than not, that is a good thing.

OP
A

arancano

From what James Larson wrote about them, it sounds like Hecco spent the money in the most important areas on those speakers and skimped where it wouldn't matter as much. That seems like a key factor in getting good, affordable speakers.
So true, I could wish for a better cabinet and metal instead of plastic parts. However, when jewelry cabinetry can represent upwards of 50% of the sale price, I would much prefer to keep the change.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you give it credit for. Particularly true of modern, well-designed tube amps like the Willsenton R8.
No matter how well designed they are no match for even low priced class d from Topping.

I’m an old timer but come on that old tech is just old technology.

OP
A

arancano

If you are going
No matter how well designed they are no match for even low priced class d from Topping.

I’m an old timer but come on that old tech is just old technology.
It's funny how we get entrenched in our preferences, and let history close out options us. There is a good reason for it. We love what we have! :)

I would not touch a Class D amp, and I've had four high-end units, the most recent PS Audio, with a ten foot pole. I've had the PA5. In my system, it sounds thin, dry and analytical. Different taste than you have. Different system. Yet, it is loved by many.

I tried four different Class D amps to establish my preference. That's why I love the current state of the audio industry. There are plenty of choices for everyone.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am glad I've lasted to 73 years old. I've blissed listening to music over the last 50 years through live performances and with a large variety of hi-end and hi-end adjacent gear. Although memories can deceive us, my current rig is the culmination of a fabulous journey.

Perhaps my hearing has gotten less discerning, but the Heco Aurora 1000, fed by a Willsenton R8, Schiit Saga passive preamp, Denafrips Pontus II DAC and Iris DDC via Blue Jeans cabling is the most synergistic and musical audio system I've ever had. The analog front end with a new generation Technics SL-1210GR turntable, Lyra Delos MC cart and Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp is every bit a match for the digital side. And the least costly.

I would not be able to evaluate recorded music reproduction without having had live concert experience for five decades. With those sounds stored in my memory banks, I can easily see why the soundstage, instrument separation, transparency, detail, three-dimensionality and tonality of my current system translates into uncontrollably shaking my Cuban hips to Caribbean rhythms, dropping tears of sadness and joy, and feeling the deep satisfaction that terrific musical performances and sound reproduction can create.

I would also not be able to evaluate recorded music reproduction without having had the experience of listening to outstanding, and often quite expensive, gear over the years. I was fortunate to be friends with the owner of Chicago's premier audio store. I've heard the best of the best in my own listening space, having had take-out privileges for practically any gear that could be easily carried in and out, Top-of-the-line Magnepan, Dahlquist, Quad, Martin Logan, Focal, KEF and Klipsch speakers have been among the many exceptional speakers in my listening rooms.

That's why at this point I can safely say that I am thoroughly satisfied with my audio rig. End game system? Who knows? Death is the only real end-game. However, I can safely offer the observation that for $6,000 you can have sound quality that rivals audio systems many times that cost. The crowning acquisition that showed all of my gear at its best was the recent purchase of the Heco Aurora 1000 speakers.

Practically any well-recorded music can sound exceptional through these speakers. It measures extremely well and hears just as good. How often can we say that? They are a veritable steal at their current Amazon price of $1,600 a pair. Mention any descriptor typically used for speakers and the Heco 1000 punches way above its price, and as high as any speaker I've heard.

I would not in the least hesitate to recommend them for a trial in your system. They can be easily returned if purchased through Amazon. However, I would bet that is minimally likely to happen. You may not have my experience with live music or heard the large variety of top-end gear I have. However, I think their sound is so engaging that anyone with a decent front-end and intact hearing will be able to appreciate them.

If there was a rating of six stars, they would certainly qualify for a Wow! and an OMG!

View attachment 212040
They did measure very well, enjoy!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny how we get entrenched in our preferences, and let history close out options us
It's even funnier how we let history mask delusions.
I tried four different Class D amps to establish my preference.
I'm not calling you a liar but again history is not on your side. The old tub and some A and A/B designs were coloured and frankly horrible. Most modern amps A/B and D are clean flat and are just so much better.
There are plenty of choices for everyone.
Yes there are, but as more and more reviews here show. We were sold a bunch of bunk.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS no I don't trust your ears.

DMill

My sarcasm meter is ringing. But I could be wrong. Anything you love is great and if you love you’re rig light up the night with Rage Against the Machine on your amp. I’ll drink to that.

Vince2

For somebody to make the first post claiming the virtues of a set of speakers just raises my suspicion.

Everett T

Forum Donor
For somebody to make the first post claiming the virtues of a set of speakers just raises my suspicion.
Rightfully so, however the measurements for the price seem pretty darn good..

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Not his first post and he has been a member for over 2 years. I think OP is authentic that’s why I went to check out the speakers on Amazon.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 212040
Where's the turntable?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad. I should know better than to engage in threads like this.

Top Bottom