• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wow! Genelec GRADE looks amazingly useful

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, as I wrote in the post just before the one you replied to the 7350 can’t be chained together like the 7360 and above, at least not if you want to use GLM.
Why? I just looked and it has the same glm in/out and the AES in/out of the 7360.

Zaireeka

I'll ask Genelec to get a definitive answer, they usually respond in less than one day. I also see no reason why it wouldn't work though.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So jealous. I did my report and it looks horrible. Ordered a bunch of acoustic panels from GIK.

Yours looks incredible. Would like to audition your set up.

On another note this is cool. It’s kind of like animal crossing. Do something at home and a gift shows up in your mailbox. 35 pages of telling me I have issues.

Attachments

• EA2E7626-4186-4175-B48D-D894AB7E9118.png
    EA2E7626-4186-4175-B48D-D894AB7E9118.png
    711.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will say one thing about Genelec subs. They are expensive for what they put out. However the flat in room response I get is priceless. No headaches either. I could put one behind me and GLM will time align and phase align it. It’s extra outlay in the beginning but the pain of paying for it will subside leaving you with a nice headache free scalable solution.

I was going to go with 2 x 7350s but decided to just get a 7360.

I found out while testing some Grateful Dead that the sub can clip even sitting in a corner and calibration cuts quite a bit to compensate for corner reinforcement.

So here I am contemplating calling Ryan at Front End audio to order a second.

If you really think about it, the 7360 only has a 10” woofer. The whole sub is sizable but the driver is actually small.

In room with room reinforcement I get extension to 19.4Hz. More than enough so the 10” goes deep enough it just can’t keep up on all music.

This is something to think about when choosing between a 7350 and 7360. Perhaps 4 7350 may be the way for someone who picked a 7350. Of course you could also mix and match.

Just things to think about. I was surprised to see it clip like that. It also clips inaudibly thanks to how GLM works. If you are in any way OCD about your audio equipment- plan accordingly.

mkt

Some info and link to seminar this week

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some info and link to seminar this week
Can’t figure out where he got figure 3 and 4 from. I can’t find them in the Grade report.

I wish they would talk more about early vs late reflections. How those are measured and that number means.

Otherwise I get the impression that the more your cover your walls with acoustic panels the better that number will get.

mkt

The "mirror trick" can help to find first reflection points for the listening position, which is supposed to be a good start. It is surprisingly (?) hard to change the room's influence.

Zaireeka

Can’t figure out where he got figure 3 and 4 from. I can’t find them in the Grade report.

I wish they would talk more about early vs late reflections. How those are measured and that number means.

Otherwise I get the impression that the more your cover your walls with acoustic panels the better that number will get.
Grade report shows the phase graph for my 8351A but not for my previous 8350. What model do you have?

BDE

I like that report!
Dirac should offer someting similar!

From the GLM 4.2.0 Release Notes the Genelec GRADE feature is something one has to pay for after 2022:

>>>The GRADETM Room Acoustic Report is a new service that uses all the information collected
automatically during GLM AutoCal’s process to create a detailed PDF document that
analyses monitoring system performance. The report will help users and studio designers
alike to fine tune the room’s acoustic treatment, adjust monitor and listener positions, and
optimise bass management. As an introductory offer, the report is available free of charge
throughout 2022
<<<

This I can`t understand, as they get already valuable data about the rooms their speakers actually used in and that for free. This information can be used to optimize the GLM alogrithm as well as input on how speakers should be designed in future. However I am not owning DSP Genelec`s..

Curvature

Major Contributor
I will say one thing about Genelec subs. They are expensive for what they put out. However the flat in room response I get is priceless. No headaches either. I could put one behind me and GLM will time align and phase align it. It’s extra outlay in the beginning but the pain of paying for it will subside leaving you with a nice headache free scalable solution.

I found out while testing some Grateful Dead that the sub can clip even sitting in a corner and calibration cuts quite a bit to compensate for corner reinforcement.

If you really think about it, the 7360 only has a 10” woofer. The whole sub is sizable but the driver is actually small.

In room with room reinforcement I get extension to 19.4Hz. More than enough so the 10” goes deep enough it just can’t keep up on all music.

This is something to think about when choosing between a 7350 and 7360. Perhaps 4 7350 may be the way for someone who picked a 7350. Of course you could also mix and match.

Just things to think about. I was surprised to see it clip like that. It also clips inaudibly thanks to how GLM works. If you are in any way OCD about your audio equipment- plan accordingly.
Get the largest subs you can afford.

Make sure to cut subsonic frequencies as well.

Not very helpful advice, I know. This is just what I would do

G|force

Forum Donor

When the single 7360 was clipping what was SPL @ listening position and how close are your monitors to listening position? Apologies if you stated this already upthread. Thanks.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
grade summary.JPG

Zaireeka

That's weird, I thought all modern models would get that info in the GRADE report but the logic is obviously different. Try using Multipoint measurement if you don't already.

mkt

Blog post from @Thomas Lund

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the quality factor is?

It mentions a quality factor when disclosing notches and peaks.

Also what exactly is the early be late reflections and what can I do to improve that number?

Top Bottom