• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wow! Genelec GRADE looks amazingly useful

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have an RME DAC to apply different EQ per channel, as my room is quite asymmetrical. I'm considering to buy a pair of 8030 plus a measurement mic which is ~ 1150 €.

The SAM version, a pair of 8330 + the GLM set, is about 1800 €.

I'm inclined towards option one, mainly because I don't need to be able to EQ the system in 10 minutes and I'm not a pro. Do you think eventually the GLM software can be that good that option two is better for home audio?

mkt

1652786924020.png

So much info!

kthulhutu

Looks good, except upgrading has effectively bricked my 7360A, it's stuck in Offline in GLM and it shows firmware is up to date.

EDIT: It's ok, switching the input from digital to analog and back in the group settings seemed to fix it.

Reactions: mkt

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now included in GLM 4.2 (released today) Genelec GRADE looks impressive.
Very impressive, thank you for sharing. The video explaining GRADE, is very interesting, so much valuable information clearly explained, Genelec are so professional, amazing.

Last edited:

mkt

A good idea from the video (obvious in hindsight) is to make a group with just the "problem" speaker and try out different positions etc. I am going to do this with my overheads which have more rolloff than expected. Maybe not pointed straight or dip switch error?

mkt

stemfencer

I already have an RME DAC to apply different EQ per channel, as my room is quite asymmetrical. I'm considering to buy a pair of 8030 plus a measurement mic which is ~ 1150 €.

The SAM version, a pair of 8330 + the GLM set, is about 1800 €.

I'm inclined towards option one, mainly because I don't need to be able to EQ the system in 10 minutes and I'm not a pro. Do you think eventually the GLM software can be that good that option two is better for home audio?
I went with Option #1 also. It's not plug-and-play but if done well you can achieve equivalent results for all practical (home) purposes. GLM has big advantage for a) convenience and b) less room to screw things up, but both can be mitigated with time and effort by yourself.

Yuhasz01

Now included in GLM 4.2 (released today) Genelec GRADE looks impressive.

Video here

Doug
GLM 4.2.0 features many new improvements and features, including the GRADE™ Room Acoustic Report. By using the information gathered during the AutoCal calibration process, the GRADE report makes GLM the first calibration software in the world to give you a complete analysis of your room and monitoring system performance, in line with the best practices – including ITU-R BS.1116 recommendations.

onion

I have run a calibration. GRADE identified a problematic early reflection from my left 8341a (gain -6.8 dBFS, distance 149cm). Really useful info to help fix room/ reflection problems.

1652808530922.png

kthulhutu

It's a pretty neat tool. Right channel is very problematic relative to the left due to the asymmetry of my room. I was thinking of trying to squeeze a thick freestanding absorber behind it.
Also GLM treble measurements are still all sorts of screwed compared to what I see in REW with Neumann MA1. Not sure if the mic has accuracy issues in this region or what.
It's interesting how this report correlates with my Bacch DSP measurements as well.
Screenshot_13.jpg

bacch.png

Attachments

• Genelec GRADE Report 2022-05-17.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 92

Trell

Major Contributor
From the GLM 4.2.0 Release Notes the Genelec GRADE feature is something one has to pay for after 2022:

>>>The GRADETM Room Acoustic Report is a new service that uses all the information collected
automatically during GLM AutoCal’s process to create a detailed PDF document that
analyses monitoring system performance. The report will help users and studio designers
alike to fine tune the room’s acoustic treatment, adjust monitor and listener positions, and
optimise bass management. As an introductory offer, the report is available free of charge
throughout 2022
<<<

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As an introductory offer, the report is available free of charge
throughout 2022
This makes me a lot less interested. Bummer. Maybe similar features will show up in REW or something similar. I guess we should wait to see how, and how much, they are going to charge.

Yuhasz01

From the GLM 4.2.0 Release Notes the Genelec GRADE feature is something one has to pay for after 2022:

>>>The GRADETM Room Acoustic Report is a new service that uses all the information collected
automatically during GLM AutoCal’s process to create a detailed PDF document that
analyses monitoring system performance. The report will help users and studio designers
alike to fine tune the room’s acoustic treatment, adjust monitor and listener positions, and
optimise bass management. As an introductory offer, the report is available free of charge
throughout 2022
<<<
What will service cost after 2022? Annual subscription or pay per report?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This makes me a lot less interested. Bummer. Maybe similar features will show up in REW or something similar. I guess we should wait to see how, and how much, they are going to charge.
I was starting to feel uncomfortable with my plan of 8030 + REW. Everything back in place again. :cool:

Top Bottom