• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you rather be a golden-ear audiophile or cloth-ear music lover?

Would you rather be

• Total voters

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yeah. The company that used to have the best engineers in the world can't manage to make a working printer. Soon we'll be a nation of salesman trying to swindle each other.
They still have the best engineers in the world and they work at HPE designing enterprise and super computer systems.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They still have the best engineers in the world and they work at HPE designing enterprise and super computer systems.
OK, glad to hear it. Obviously, the analog and RF guys are down the road.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1672681902003.png

I wouldn't mind trying out what I've never been able to hear.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
When I mentioned golden-ear audiophile, I mean people with the training to discern the defects in audio production, signals and playback, not people who declare that they can hear improvements in their home audio system when none exists.

Ohh... I read it as people who love the smell of their own farts.

Still have no problem voting cloth-ear though. Ignorance is bliss, and I imagine incompetence also is to some degree. If I need actual critical listening done at some point, I won't mind outsourcing it :D

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So true, so true. Sometimes, arguing with idiots just increases the idiots' sense of self-esteem.

Jim

Doesn't even have to be about intelligence.

Trying to move a firm convictions with logic and reasoning is like pouring water on a deep-fryer fire.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hearing aids or drugs.

I doubt a hearing aid would benefit me.

I can add or subtract the dead zone with (massive) shelving EQ and no audible difference is noted. My defect would seem to be in the nature of a "brick wall" filter. I blame, for lack of a better idea, "genetics", as I first noted the loss at age 8 or so, when Dad played a test record and neither I nor Mom could hear more than part of it.

Drugs, I'll leave in my box of past pleasures, unless you have in mind a specific therapeutic available at the pharmacy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Drugs, I'll leave in my box of past pleasures, unless you have in mind a specific therapeutic available at the pharmacy.
Don't you peeps in Florida have access to medical cannabis. It's covered under medical insurance here in Canada for certain illnesses.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don't you peeps in Florida have access to medical cannabis.

Prior experience would indicate that even if I were to figure out how to obtain a prescription, it would have no effect upon my defliction.

Peterinvan

Harman for Golden Ears Only?
I am now 75 and my audiologist reports that my upper frequencies drop several DB starting at about 6KHz. Using SineGen.exe, I cannot hear anything beyond 10KHz.
I therefore find that brighter equipment suits me better. My listening enjoyment factor is still great.
When the experts (Harman) develop their "ideal" FR chart, what age group are they using, and what quality ears?

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love music, I love listening to it always, everywhere and by any means, headphones, bluetooth speakers, hifi audio systems, radios.....
So I consider it a healthy blessing to have cloth ears. I never lose the pleasure of listening to music, even with really basic instruments, the only limit is the smartphone, with that I really can't....
I can barely recognize a 128kbs MP3 from a lossless file (depends on track) so let alone 16 by 24 bit....
I'm happy like this, and if I could learn to distinguish compression artifacts I wouldn't want to, because I know that then I wouldn't hear anything else and I'd lose my superpower, which is to always enjoy music, at every listening level.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is cloth eared audiophile taken :) I never hear the lifted veils these days
That's why I stick to 1kHz test tones and dummy loads. Those trolls have the right idea!

-Matt-

Strange result of the vote so far...

Audiophile = Music lover

So you are choosing between:
Golden ears = good hearing
and
Cloth ears = bad hearing

Majority of voters so far seem to want bad hearing!

Obviously the result says more about the negative connotations of the term golden eared audiophile around here. Whilst music lover has no such negative association.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Strange result of the vote so far...

Audiophile = Music lover

So you are choosing between:
Golden ears = good hearing
and
Cloth ears = bad hearing

Majority of voters so far seem to want bad hearing!

Obviously the result says more about the negative connotations of the term golden eared audiophile around here. Whilst music lover has no such negative association.

you don't understand. If your ears are too good you have a hard time as a music lover

-Matt-

you don't understand. If your ears are too good you have a hard time as a music lover

Nope, I understand perfectly. The choice posed is still between good hearing and bad. I'd rather have good.

(Of course it might make listening to badly mastered tracks a grating experience, but I'd either avoid them or put up with them, depending on how much I liked the track).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Nope, I understand perfectly. The choice posed is still between good hearing and bad. I'd rather have good.

(Of course it might make listening to badly mastered tracks a grating experience, but I'd either avoid them or put up with them, depending on how much I liked the track).

I remember when I started having sex, almost every woman would turn me on and I would lay with all I could get. Now my taste is so refined, not only are the desired women rare, but they also do not desire a guy like me hahaha. I would give a lot to be able to go back lol

-Matt-

I remember when I started having sex, almost every woman would turn me on and I would lay with all I could get. Now my taste is so refined, not only are the desired women rare, but they also do not desire a guy like me hahaha. I would give a lot to be able to go back lol

Taken to the extreme "cloth-eared"= deaf

So in your analogy "cloth-eared music lover" would be like being married to your most desired woman but being impotent and unable to touch her.

Top Bottom