• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you rather be a golden-ear audiophile or cloth-ear music lover?

Would you rather be

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard the term cloth eared before myself....but why would I want to label myself as either? Golden ear is a mythical "audiophile" thing to me.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I guess. It's like when hp drove off the end of the pier. Fired all the engineers and started importing cheap sh*t from the far east.

When life gives you lemons. There's a reason why Denmark makes a sh¤t-ton of money from container shipping and diabetes medications :D

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Never heard the term cloth eared before myself....but why would I want to label myself as either? Golden ear is a mythical "audiophile" thing to me.
Where I live same description could be translated as "wood eared". :)

Golden ear is the same.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to Google cloth eared. Not very complimentary ;)

And if Golden Ears make me like the trolls that visit here, I might rather be cloth eared.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to Google cloth eared. Not very complementary ;)

And if Golden Ears make me like the trolls that visit here, I might rather be cloth eared.
I can appreciate that but still no vote from me :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I live same description could be translated as "wood eared". :)

Golden ear is the same.
Cloth is very from wood, interesting how people perceive what they "hear"....or rather what they think others must hear like when they want to take the superior hearing position. Then again to me an audiophile is a gear hound, not someone with a particular taste as to how they perceive it, let alone others....

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
Even big companies struggle with actual hi-fi. Witness JBL that now makes their money from little plastic crap-boxes. I almost cried in the Times Square store seeing that.
Are you sure that's where the profits are? If have thought the margins in those highly competitive product categories are very small.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure that's where the profits are? If have thought the margins in those highly competitive product categories are very small.
JBL/Harman' automobile market seem to be where the money is for them. They're still doing decent speakers too.....

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL even states in their corporate blurbs that they coin money on that crap. Deeply disappointing.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

High turnover lets you get huge volume discounts from your sub suppliers (hopefully) pushing your margins higher than the competitors can manage.

It's the good old game of beating quality with quantity and keeping your fingers crossed that the bottom won't fall out of the market :D

Last edited:

bodhi

Forum Donor
I think this whole "golden ears" thing is one of the things that has killed the mid-fi segment (let's say systems 1000-3000€). The existence of extreme audiophile cult is widely know to general public and when I mention anything about my audio equipment I often get asked if I have raised my cables on lego blocks etc. That meme has poisoned the well and it is hifi industry to blame at least partially. I know so many people who could easily spend the 3-5k in a hifi system if they saw half the benefits we hobbyists see. But it's just something that they don't even consider, sounding too esoteric and complicated.

It wouldn't seem that impossible to get some marketing going and introduce for example these competent all-in-one solutions such as LS50 Wireless as the new thing that self respecting middle aged families should have in their living room to show off in facebook stories. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this whole "golden ears" thing is one of the things that has killed the mid-fi segment (let's say systems 1000-3000€). The existence of extreme audiophile cult is widely know to general public and when I mention anything about my audio equipment I often get asked if I have raised my cables on lego blocks etc. That meme has poisoned the well and it is hifi industry to blame at least partially. I know so many people who could easily spend the 3-5k in a hifi system if they saw half the benefits we hobbyists see. But it's just something that they don't even consider, sounding too esoteric and complicated.

It wouldn't seem that impossible to get some marketing going and introduce for example these competent all-in-one solutions such as LS50 Wireless as the new thing that self respecting middle aged families should have in their living room to show off in facebook stories. :)
Calling it mid-fi is part of the problem.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know so many people who could easily spend the 3-5k in a hifi system if they saw half the benefits we hobbyists see. But it's just something that they don't even consider, sounding too esoteric and complicated.

I sold audio gear for 9 years, 5 of that by commission. I looked for people that where interested in the gear and I worked them sometimes for years until they finally gave in and bought something. Lots of demos with no sales but after about 1.5 years things really picked up and my sales supported the wages of multiple people as the company grew. One must be very positive thinking, results oriented and a long term player.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this whole "golden ears" thing is one of the things that has killed the mid-fi segment (let's say systems 1000-3000€). The existence of extreme audiophile cult is widely know to general public and when I mention anything about my audio equipment I often get asked if I have raised my cables on lego blocks etc. That meme has poisoned the well and it is hifi industry to blame at least partially
You could still get a decent system for that (grand for source, amp, speakers = $3K but then the next step up is like $3K per component.

But I've found that 3 grand is still too expensive for most people, They might be able to afford it but they don't want it bad enough to pay out that kind of money.

Most civilians have an idea of pricing that they have got from looking in the window of a boutique hi-fi store or from an audiophile friend who has spent big money. The s/h market where the real bargains are is totally unknown to them, even if it isn't then they are overly wary of buying used electronics.

I have friends say 'This sounds great but you spent a fortune, right?' When I say no, 2 grand, they are surprised but it's still too much for them to contemplate splashing out on something to play music on.

A friend asked me to help him get a system but he refused to buy used kit. I said 'Well in that case you will need at least £2K for what you want' - nope, too much so he left it. He earns about £100K a year.

Another friend a bit more experienced (former EE and recording engineer) moved here from SA, couldn't afford to ship his possessions so sold his hifi before he left. Came round mine and picked out a system from my collection - TT, CD, amp, and some KEF Calinda speakers. Total cost £170. I threw in some cables for free,

He invited me round for lunch and a listen. Has the speakers set up in a large concrete room. I tell you now, I know audiophiles who have spent tens of thousands and who would weep at how good that sounded on all sources. But I've found you just cannot convince most civilians to go down that route.

bodhi

Forum Donor
But I've found that 3 grand is still too expensive for most people, They might be able to afford it but they don't want it bad enough to pay out that kind of money.

And here lies the problem. The people I (and you) talk about might casually spend 2k for some design lamp or a chair. The cars these guys have can be in 50k€ range. Canada Goose jackets for missus and kids, multi thousand euro wristwatches etc. 3k for hifi system that's already way up there in diminishing returns, doesn't get old or go out of fashion seems like a great deal.

So, what needs to change is the perceived value proposition and then 3k hifi starts to fly off the shelves.

But well, if anyone manages to find out the solution to achieve that, don't post it here. Instead pitch it to the hifi companies as a marketing guru and negotiate small slice of the billions of new sales you will be generating. :)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Ancient story now, but I remember a client bringing his neighbour in to the store. Said neighbour was a retired bank senior exec (so not short of a few bob) who looked at the B&O 7000 'stack system' (look it up) and declared the £2500 was too much to spend on a sound system. My retort was to politely ask what car he drove, which was a Jag XJ series (told you it was a while ago) which then cost twenty odd thousand quid to buy. He bought a new one every two years, so losing several grand each time. I then poliutely mentioned how a stereo like the B&O would last ten or more years reliably and give no end of enjoyment and he didn't disagree. Thing is now, the B&O system is a collectable having retained good residuals and mostly still running (replacement cartridges cost the earth but thank heavens for Soundsmith re-manufactured cartridges) and all the Jags he may have owned have long been to the scrap heap in the sky after rusting away!

r042wal

Forum Donor
If there is really one thing that gets under my skin with golden-ears, it's fuses! Changing a fuse on the a/c side of a DAC, streamer or amp makes no difference on the DC audio side yet the golden-ears throw out all the audiofool vernacular describing the difference of one fuse over another when describing improved tonality, transparency, smoothness separation, timbre, tone, articulation, energy, presence, emotion, ...

I have been an electronics technician all my life (not an engineer) and I have all the measurement toys like spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes. I have 'hands on' experience. I thought maybe I was missing something but I am unable to reproduce a measurable change on anything by swapping an a/c fuse.

I have stopped frequenting forums filled with golden-ears because I feel contempt inside. I have been invested in photography, astronomy, and astrophotography but never experienced any member with with the same contempt I feel for golden ears. Is there something wrong me?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If there is really one thing that gets under my skin with golden-ears, it's fuses! Changing a fuse on the a/c side of a DAC, streamer or amp makes no difference on the DC audio side yet the golden-ears throw out all the audiofool vernacular describing the difference of one fuse over another when describing improved tonality, transparency, smoothness separation, timbre, tone, articulation, energy, presence, emotion, ...

I have been an electronics technician all my life (not an engineer) and I have all the measurement toys like spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes. I have 'hands on' experience. I thought maybe I was missing something but I am unable to reproduce a measurable change on anything by swapping an a/c fuse.

Fellow electronics technician here.

Audiophile fuses are indeed in the top end of voodoo nonsense. Along with "grounding" boxes, stickers/dots, rocks, power cables and what have you.

It gets even more ridiculous when people claim that the fuses are "directional" :facepalm:

I have stopped frequenting forums filled with golden-ears because I feel contempt inside. I have been invested in photography, astronomy, and astrophotography but never experienced any member with with the same contempt I feel for golden ears. Is there something wrong me?

I had that same feeling of contempt at some point but I've let it go. It's not constructive, and in the end all you get from it is stress.

Superstition is an integral part of our survival mechanisms. It's hardwired into our DNA.

Some personality types have the ability to see past the superstition when they feel it's beneficial, other personality types have no desire to look past that horizon whatsoever.

Neither of those personality types are "better" than the others. They just go through life with different priorities.

Best thing we can do is to make life easier for those who have the same priorities as ourself. Make evidence and sound reasoning available to those who appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
When I mentioned golden-ear audiophile, I mean people with the training to discern the defects in audio production, signals and playback, not people who declare that they can hear improvements in their home audio system when none exists. I think the former category is interesting and the latter endlessly boring.

Top Bottom