• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you give up your headphone jack on your phone???

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I have a Samsung S8+. Despite having a good case around it, I dropped it 6 inches on the sink and cracked the side of the display. It is usable without it but it is a source of bother.

My carrier Verizon announced that they will give me $800 credit for that phone if I buy a 5G capable phone (the trade in value otherwise is $37). As you all probably know, all the premier phones from Samsung lack headphone jack. I have looked and there are a few phones with the jack but they mostly have other compromises (no wireless charging, lower end phone, from companies that may not support it in the future, etc.).

There is nothing wrong with my phone but the broken glass. Don't need 5G but will take it. I use the headphone jack from time to time specially when travelling. The thought of using a dongle makes me cringe as I am often charging my phone while I listen.

So what have you done in your upgrade life? Gave up the headphone jack?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
So I have a Samsung S8+. Despite having a good case around it, I dropped it 6 inches on the sink and cracked the side of the display. It is usable without it but it is a source of bother.

My carrier Verizon announced that they will give me $800 credit for that phone if I buy a 5G capable phone (the trade in value otherwise is $37). As you all probably know, all the premier phones from Samsung lack headphone jack. I have looked and there are a few phones with the jack but they mostly have other compromises (no wireless charging, lower end phone, from companies that may not support it in the future, etc.).

There is nothing wrong with my phone but the broken glass. Don't need 5G but will take it. I use the headphone jack from time to time specially when travelling. The thought of using a dongle makes me cringe as I am often charging my phone while I listen.

Maybe Samsung Galaxy A52 5G?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth headphones are far better suited to mobile devices than wired. Embrace the future!

I'm not crazy about Samsung though, I prefer the pixel phones.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@amrim, My Pixel 4 doesn't have a headphone jack. There are all kinds of dongles which work. $800 credit is nice. Verizon is a great network. While traveling in rural Washington everyone who lived up there said they had the best coverage.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Pixel 4a still has a headphone jack but even if it didn't I'd keep my LG V30 for music and backup. Indeed I'll likely buy a V60 when the price drops a bit more.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Use your Qudelix 5k with a 3-wire/end USB OTG cable. You will be able to listen and charge at the same time. That's my setup. Has been working fine for many months. No problem with overcharging the Qudelix. It seems to have good charge management - disconnecting from charger when it's fully charged. Plus you get PEQ and an amp, at least when connected Balanced, to run 'most' headphones, such as the HE400se I also use.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a S10+. Has a hp jack.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bought a S10+. Has a hp jack.
How much did you pay for it? To get the credit from Verizon it has to be 5G which I don't think S10+ is. But it is something to think about.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amrim, My Pixel 4 doesn't have a headphone jack. There are all kinds of dongles which work. $800 credit is nice. Verizon is a great network. While traveling in rural Washington everyone who lived up there said they had the best coverage.
Yeh, they are the only carrier to have here. We have visitors with AT&T and they literally cry when they find out they get no coverage!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Check on repair cost from local shops. On some phones it isn't too dear.

I did two weeks ago get an S21 5g. So far dongle or Bluetooth, but my phone isn't often a music source for me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Check on repair cost from local shops. On some phones it isn't too dear.

I did two weeks ago get an S21 5g. So far dongle or Bluetooth, but my phone isn't often a music source for me.
Yeh, repair is not too bad but I am tempted by the upgrade option. My use is watching youtube videos on our summer trips in the RV. I take a tablet as well but sometimes it is just faster to use the phone.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather keep the headphone jack. I rarely use mine anymore with cars having bluetooth, AndroidAuto/CarPlay, etc. these days. But I'm sure I will have times to use it still. My glass is broken too. I just taped it up. I have a parts phone so I could replace the glass, but I'm waiting until it is much worse.

paulraphael

I'm really annoyed by the lack of a headphone jack on my iphone. Not a deal-breaker, nowhere near enough to convince me to go android, but I miss the jack.

It means remembering to bring an adapter in situations where I might want wired output, which is surprisingly often. In real life, bluetooth is often more trouble than it's worth.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In real life, bluetooth is often more trouble than it's worth.
I completely agree. Now I mostly use AndroidAuto in my car thru USB, but before that I would go with the headphone connection rather than fool with bluetooth. Something was always mucked up with bluetooth, usually something my kids did.

kami

I made a niche acquisition and bought audeze headphones with a lighting cable, so I can use them directly with my iPhone and iPad.

My iPad still has a headphone jack, but a 9 inch tablet is not exactly the pinnacle of portability.

Perhaps it’s time to add a qudelix 5k to your setup. I didn’t go that way because it would require a USB-C dongle. The Audeze cipher cable is hardly perceptible as a dongle, it preserves the “Cable” form factor.

Maybe blind test a bluetooth dongle with LDAC and consider that if the difference is hardly perceptible?

KM

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I used the headphone jack on my phone exactly once.

The headphone cable becomes the FM antenna, and I thought I'd see how bad it sounded with the supplied earbuds.

I wasn't disappointed.

KiyPhi

I used to use mine but since I have ANC headphones for mobile use, a stack at home, and a work headphone setup, I don't miss it as much as I otherwise would have. I second avoiding Samsung though. I was disappointed with all of their phones I've tried since the Note 9.

Top Bottom