• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you buy this amp? (NAD 916 with visible oxidation)

retroflex

I'm searching for a good amplifier for my tri-amping project, and found this NAD 916 on an auction site. Seller states that it works fine and is in good condition, but I'm a bit worried about the oxidation (?) that's visible in the attached picture. Is this just a matter of giving it a good clean, or could there be some serious problems inside? I won't be able to inspect it before buying, although I suppose I could ask if the seller would take a picture of the insides.

Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• nad_cropped.jpg
    nad_cropped.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 249

AudiOhm

Looks like it has water damage on the left side, the amp connections to the right seem to look Okay.

Personally I would pass, there will always be another tri-amp up for sale somewhere.

This ad has expired, maybe you could contact them to see if they are willing to relist and sell.
Looks a lot better than the one you are looking at.
NAD 916 US Audio Mart

Ohms

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Used as a fishing Boat Anchor! Run, even if it’s free! I see smoke, and then fire, in that amps furture. Imagine the corrosion you can’t see :oops:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Oh no, run a mile, if that's not borked already its sat in the seat waiting its turn.

AudiOhm

Calleberg

Stay away, "good condition" my ass. That is a spare parts donor at best.

Also it appears the seller believes the on switch is a headphone jack....:) :facepalm:

A better alternative:

Last edited:
OP
retroflex

retroflex

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I've seen that in basement areas of high humidity where the amp sat on the bottom shelf, and the amp or receivers were just fine. Now I would not pay much, and have to have a demo that it is working plus a look inside the cover. Maybe it had a potted plant next to one side. Doesn't look like real water damage being just on one side. Safest course of action is move on and find another. Those switches are almost sure to be corroded on the one side.

AudiOhm

If you could find an Adcom GFA 2535 I think it would fill your needs.
GFA 2535 HiFi Shark

Ohms

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'll bet it sat on its side on or near the floor (slab) in a damp basement.
Just -- please -- don't ask me why I might suspect this. ;)

Top Bottom