• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would this speaker be considered too bright? Edited.

Schollaudio

This is the left channel measurement of my system at the listening position about 6 feet away. I would consider it "in room" response. I made this measurement after a round of crossover tweaking. Note the 450ish distortion and peak. That would be surround\cone breakup. Still about 1% THD there. Would this response be considered bright or what?

The mic is 9 feet away not 6 and is in the middle of the room left to right just behind the rooms center front to back pointing straight ahead. This is a 15" two way with AE TD15S woofer and JBL 2431 tweeter on 90 degree horn crossed at about 800hz. The TD15S is known to have a cone\surround resonance in the 400-500 hz range but doesn't show up at low levels. The 12Khz roll off is all that 2431 horn combo will due. The good thing here is most 1.5" drivers with 3" diaphragms have peaky breakup but this one doesn't. I have Wavecore, Vifa, SB domes and like the JBL best. This is measured louder than it looks. I did drop the tweeter level some when listening last night.

The system does sound bright to me but since its' so clear sounding it's not annoying. Sound stage and imaging are exceptionally good.

I've had this woofer crossed at 400hz to 18sound mids and wavecore highs but this two way combo sounds best to me.

I'll make more measurements with gateing and tweeter crossover tweaks late this week.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• left speaker.jpg
    left speaker.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that it isn't overall downward sloping is a problem.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
left speaker.jpg

It's really hard to tell what's really going on here without knowing what speaker it is. How was the mic positioned? Was the mic pointed at the ceiling, the speaker, or straight ahead from the MLP? The 20 dB drop from 10 KHz to 20 KHz would—at first glance—indicate that it is an off-axis measurement or the mic was not pointed at the acoustic center of the speaker.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So what happens below 100hz? It's not actually that uncommon to see something along these lines in-room from a relatively neutral speaker. Due to SBIR effects we often see in-room dips in the 100-300hz area that gives this impression of a missing slope.

If this trend continues below 100hz as well it will definitely sound bright. But if the level below 100hz is higher, it may not. It will likely be lacklustre in the upper bass / lower mids, but not necessarily sound bright overall.

It's also hard to say how something sounds without knowing the room. The level of reverbations/reflections will strongly influence how the speakers sound.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly, it doesn't take a golden ear to know a speaker sounds bright, whatever the cause. Just listen.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty pointless to judge an in-room measurement without knowing anything about the room. Get yourself some gated measurements, with at least 4ms gate time, which can be done in a room with 10ft ceilings. If you can measure outdoors, 5-6ms gate time is easy to achieve.

Are you sure 450Hz is cone or surround related? Even for 10-12" woofers, they usually don't have problems until 800-1000Hz.

Last edited:
OP
S

Schollaudio

So what happens below 100hz? It's not actually that uncommon to see something along these lines in-room from a relatively neutral speaker. Due to SBIR effects we often see in-room dips in the 100-300hz area that gives this impression of a missing slope.

If this trend continues below 100hz as well it will definitely sound bright. But if the level below 100hz is higher, it may not. It will likely be lacklustre in the upper bass / lower mids, but not necessarily sound bright overall.

It's also hard to say how something sounds without knowing the room. The level of reverbations/reflections will strongly influence how the speakers sound.
I started the sweep at 100hz to spare my family the house shaking.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I started the sweep at 100hz to spare my family the house shaking.

Then we don't have enough information to know whether it is bright, but based on the data we have, it is likely so. How do you think it sounds?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then we don't have enough information to know whether it is bright, but based on the data we have, it is likely so. How do you think it sounds?
That's really the only determinant. This is a little like asking us if your food needs salt.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
OP
S

Schollaudio

View attachment 242899
It's really hard to tell what's really going on here without knowing what speaker it is. How was the mic positioned? Was the mic pointed at the ceiling, the speaker, or straight ahead from the MLP? The 20 dB drop from 10 KHz to 20 KHz would—at first glance—indicate that it is an off-axis measurement or the mic was not pointed at the acoustic center of the speaker.
This is the left channel measurement of my system at the listening position about 6 feet away. I would consider it "in room" response. I made this measurement after a round of crossover tweaking. Note the 450ish distortion and peak. That would be surround\cone breakup. Still about 1% THD there. Would this response be considered bright or what?

The mic is 9 feet away not 6 and is in the middle of the room left to right just behind the rooms center front to back pointing straight ahead. This is a 15" two way with AE TD15S woofer and JBL 2431 tweeter on 90 degree horn crossed at about 800hz. The TD15S is known to have a cone\surround resonance in the 400-500 hz range but doesn't show up at low levels. The 12Khz roll off is all that 2431 horn combo will due. The good thing here is most 1.5" drivers with 3" diaphragms have peaky breakup but this one doesn't. I have Wavecore, Vifa, SB domes and like the JBL best. This is measured louder than it looks. I did drop the tweeter level some when listening last night.

The system does sound bright to me but since its' so clear sounding it's not annoying. Sound stage and imaging are exceptionally good.

I've had this woofer crossed at 400hz to 18sound mids and wavecore highs but this two way combo sounds best to me.

I'll make more measurements with gateing and tweeter crossover tweaks late this week.

Thank you!!
Hi guys, attached please find two more sweeps, the first is the original but rescaled. The second is after horn EQ and LPad changes. Now the horn is a little flatter and about 4 db down from 800hz to 6Khz. Not quite the perfect slope but so far so good. I'll listen some more this week and see what I think. Measured from the listening position 9 feet from the speaker.

One note: as you guys know with large speakers the mic position (listening position) makes a big different in the measured response. I spent a lot of time on speaker and listening position placement.

Attachments

• left speaker 2.jpg
    left speaker 2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • left with eq and pad changes 2.jpg
    left with eq and pad changes 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom