• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

would the zmf autuer be an upgrade from my lcd2 classics?

zaraki

if i love the hd 6xx/650 and the lcd2 classics, would the ZMF autuer or Aeolus be a good upgrade, or hd 800 s, or lcd-x? from what i read about ZMF. everything seems to be positive, and i love the fact they have lifetime warranty, also i dont own the hd 6xx anymore but i own the lcd2 classics if it matters as i sold the hd 6xx to afford the lcd2 classics

i am not looking for a major sound change as i love my lcd2 classics, but i want around the same or a bit more bass amount, while with having a tiny bit more treble, and i dont really have a preference for the mids, so a bit less or the same i would be fine with probably, and better sound stage and imaging if possible

also if possible i would like them to be a bit more comfortable, although i dont have a comfort problem with the lcd2 classics, i would just like something even better if possible in the comfort area

my budget is no more then the hd 800 s and anything below that like Aeolus or the lcd-x which looks interesting also in $, and if i might not be able to afford hd 800 s level of money, as it will be a gift from my dad and although he said it would be ok, he does not know for sure yet, i was also looking at the focal elex which seems like what i want also but at a price below even the lcd-x at less the $1k

i use my headphones as my primary and only audio source, so for music like edm (like the group above and beyond mostly for that type of edm) and all media from movies/shows/anime, to video games as video games is my biggest hobby

please and thanks

and are these 3 graphs i found accurate? the first is my lcd2 classics and the second is the focal elex, and third is the ZMF auetuer that i found on this site, because if it is accurate, then i think the autuer and elex is what i am looking for considering they has a bit more bass the my lcd2 classics if im reading it right and the other stuff i mentioned of what im looking for

i got the graphs from the following topics
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...deze-lcd2c-measurements-and-impressions.5556/
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex.5540/
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...zmf-auteur-impressions-and-measurements.5338/

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I'm in a similar boat and tried many headphones at a shop recently for many hours. You should notice an upgrade going from the LCD-2C to the LCD-X (save $500 on the LCD-X by getting the creator's package which doesn't have the overpriced case), I also come from using HD650 for a long time and liked that sound. I found the X had better detail and performance overall and better treble, and was more neutral and 'clearer' than the LCD-2C. I didn't find it fatiguing though. It still has a hint of the laid back quality of audeze which is a good thing, despite it being more reference quality/neutral headphone. I guess if I had to describe it it was sort of like a cross between the Focal Clear and LCD-2C. It sacrifices a decent amount of the laid back LCD-2C darkness/smoothness without getting rid of it completely, and replaces it with better technical ability at almost all frequencies, without getting too fatiguing to listen to.

I also found the Mrspeakers offerings sounded pretty good, I have to go back to the shop and compare them to the LCD-2C and the LCD-X again.

I heard good things about the Aurorus Borealis as far as it being an 'upgrade' and spiritual successor of the Sennheiser 580/6XX/8XX line, but the project has had some QC issues and is still in its infancy.

jae

Major Contributor
I also forgot to add that from a number of people I've talked to, they are of the opinion that X can also be EQ'd quite easily to get the character the 2C has (except with the better driver), so you don't necessarily lose anything upgrading to the X, if you ever missed your 2C sound the X's can essentially EQ to an direct 'upgraded' 2C if you want

Ntrax

Audio Company
You should try Auteur Perforated Suede pads 1st on 2C. X have weird sound on their newer revision. The pad roll greatly upgrade your 2C. 69.99 only. They sound super tight, slam hard, no more muddy sound. Great mids and upper mid as well. Very detailed and clear. More pronounced treble and air. They are fantastic.
IMG_20200420_164154__01.jpg
IMG_20200421_223231__01__01__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200420-195753.jpg

jae

Major Contributor
I'd be interested to see the LCD-X with a similar pad swap

Ntrax

Audio Company
I'd be interested to see the LCD-X with a similar pad swap
You gonna change it? That's great, wait for your impressions.

Last edited:

raif

I have owned all those phones. I sold the 2c after getting the Elex and am now selling my Elex because of the Universe Suede Perforated pads on the Auteur.

If money isn't the biggest concern, I would go for the Auteur(with the magnesium frame) and ask Zach to include the Eikon (Leather) Perforated and Universe Suede Perforated pads.

The E(L)P pads will give you a sound closer to the LCD-2C with comparable bass and moar high frequency presence. I wasn't willing to trade the lack of treble for the smooth Audeze tonal response, but on the Auteur, it was the Goldilock's zone for that frequency response.

The USP pads on the Auteur are more inline with the Focal sound, having more of an even frequency response. The Elex felt a little nasal or "etched", likely due to the bump around 1-2k, while the Auteur doesn't.

jae

Major Contributor
What parts are magnesium on the ZMF upgrade? Just the yoke/headband?

raif

I’m not exactly sure, but I believe yes, it is the chassis holding the cups/drivers.

It takes about 33 grams off the weight, which matters for me as I listen for hours at a time and have a sensitive noggin.

Ginjaninja

You should try Auteur Perforated Suede pads 1st on 2C. X have weird sound on their newer revision. The pad roll greatly upgrade your 2C. 69.99 only. They sound super tight, slam hard, no more muddy sound. Great mids and upper mid as well. Very detailed and clear. More pronounced treble and air. They are fantastic.View attachment 59867View attachment 59868View attachment 59869
How did you attach the ZMF pads? Did you get a pad ring or did you tape the flap to the body of the pad and then tape the flap to the headphones?

Top Bottom