• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would the KRK Rokit RP5 G4 + Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen be a good combination for a budget entertainment setup?

Thunder

I want to upgrade to studio monitors for my gaming setup, I play games, watch movies, listen to music and I'd like the best audio quality possible for my budget (500€), although I don't have a limited/specific budget, it's an objective for me and I could save money if it'd be worth it to get something superior.

I'm currently using this speakers: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00GO1M458/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't even studio monitors, they're regular desktop speakers connected directly to my desktop PC's motherboard.

I don't care about the Headhone Amp because I won't be using it. I don't do any mixing or play any instruments either.

Last edited:

stemfencer

If you are just listening for 'enjoyment' I would recommend grabbing a sub.

Don't ignore Edifier 2.1 set-ups. Grab one on Amazon and take advantage of their 30 day return, you might surprisedand come in around half what you're willing to spnd.

Nothing wrong using an interface, but you are essentially just using it as a DAC, so somehting like a Topping D10S has better measured performance. You do loose a volumn knob though. However I'm a big fan of the Focusrite and Motu interfaces and gives you option to add headhone or plug in microphone in the future. I don't think the measured DAC performance would be audible unless you have the room and eveyrthing set-up, so wouldn't sweat about it.

Kali LP-6 and JBL monitors seems to be favoured over the KRK around here. And then I think something like Presonus Eris Sub8 to the mix will bring you pleasure, but adding sub will certianly take you over 500 euro.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

If you are just listening for 'enjoyment' I would recommend grabbing a sub.

Don't ignore Edifier 2.1 set-ups. Grab one on Amazon and take advantage of their 30 day return, you might surprisedand come in around half what you're willing to spnd.

Nothing wrong using an interface, but you are essentially just using it as a DAC, so somehting like a Topping D10S has better measured performance. You do loose a volumn knob though. However I'm a big fan of the Focusrite and Motu interfaces and gives you option to add headhone or plug in microphone in the future. I don't think the measured DAC performance would be audible unless you have the room and eveyrthing set-up, so wouldn't sweat about it.

Kali LP-6 and JBL monitors seems to be favoured over the KRK around here. And then I think something like Presonus Eris Sub8 to the mix will bring you pleasure, but adding sub will certianly take you over 500 euro.
Thank you for your answer friend. I live in a second floor and below me there's a dental clinic, I don't want to bother anyone so I'm not interested in using a sub.

Now that I asked about the KRK and the Kali and JBL you mentioned: Compared to let's say the Genelec 8040/8030/83XX series would the listening experience difference be night and day or just the cost? $$$ :p

stemfencer

I've formally had Edifiers, Focal Alpha 50s and currently Genelec 8030. I run these off a Motu M4. For just gaming, watching movies, listening to tunes at home, not it's not worth the cost (for the average person). They are professional products who need the absolute in speaker performance for critical listening applications, but I don't regret my purchase either.

In my humble opinion, majority of home users would be better off spending that price difference on a) some decent stands to get monitors at ear level and isolated, b) subwoofer, c) DSP/room correction then d) physical room treatment.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

I've formally had Edifiers, Focal Alpha 50s and currently Genelec 8030. I run these off a Motu M4. For just gaming, watching movies, listening to tunes at home, not it's not worth the cost (for the average person). They are professional products who need the absolute in speaker performance for critical listening applications, but I don't regret my purchase either.

In my humble opinion, majority of home users would be better off spending that price difference on a) some decent stands to get monitors at ear level and isolated, b) subwoofer, c) DSP/room correction then d) physical room treatment.
Would you recommend me grabbing some of these instead of some studio monitors then? https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Book...655209515&sprefix=edififer+2.1,aps,155&sr=8-4

stemfencer

Personally I would give them a shot, take advantage of Amazon 30 day return policy, before spending a lot of money on studio monitors. We can get a bit snobbish around here, but the Edifier are great kit for the price and for gaming movies etc do it will. Studio monitors are exactly that, generally targeted for critical listening or music production etc with flatter frequency responses and better dispersion. So start with the Edifiers then if not excited by them, return and look at some studio monitors. I assume you are in Europe so can buy on Thomann some monitors and perhaps trial them against each other in your house, and return what you are not satisfied with.

Put the subwoofer on some foam or isolation pads you can buy at hardware stores that are use for washing machines etc, this will help reduce bass bleed to dental practise below your apartment.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for your answer friend. I live in a second floor and below me there's a dental clinic, I don't want to bother anyone so I'm not interested in using a sub.

Now that I asked about the KRK and the Kali and JBL you mentioned: Compared to let's say the Genelec 8040/8030/83XX series would the listening experience difference be night and day or just the cost? $$$
I don't know if this will help you or not. I've had the KRKs and the Genelecs.

php?threads/volts-and-scanspeak-custom-monitors-to-krk-rokit-gen-4-model-5-to-genlec-8030c-a-story-of-a-complete-system-chosen-on-measurements.33348/

The difference was not night and day, but it was apparent enough for me to spend the extra money.
It's the gaming part that might give you problems. A lot depends on how serious you are about playing games. Player location becomes pretty important and most serious gamers prefer headphones for this.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

Thank you for your answers.

@stemfencer I used to have a pair of JBLs 305P MkII with the Topping DX7 Pro and I liked them a lot, but I sold everything because I needed the money, I wanted to see if I went back to regular speakers I'd be happy with them and I learned that my DAC was much better and expensive than the monitors I had paired with.

@daftcombo Thank you.

@Shadrach Thank you. I mentioned gaming but I don't play seriously competitive games where audio is crucial, I just want the best sound quality overall.

Top Bottom