• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would the DAC on a high-end CD Player from the '00s be really bad?

Urushi

I am interested in an older CD player from Mark Levinson. The model is 390s and it is in great condition. My friend said I could have it for $400.

On that auction site I have seen broken ones sell for over $1k. I only want to buy it if it is worth using. If I can spend $400 on a more recent CD player and get better performance then I will pass.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
On that auction site I have seen broken ones sell for over $1k. I only want to buy it if it is worth using. If I can spend $400 on a more recent CD player and get better performance then I will pass.

If your current CD player has a Digital Output, get a modern DAC to take its digits.

If you don't have a CD player with Digital outputs, get something that will play discs with digital outs and a modern DAC.

All assuming you want to spin discs.

---

Or get the ML from your friend if that's what you really want.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am interested in an older CD player from Mark Levinson. The model is 390s and it is in great condition. My friend said I could have it for $400.

Mark Levinson gear from that era is excellent. $400 is a bargain given the performance and what resale value these have. (Although the 390S uses the AD1853 sigma-delta chip and isn't pursued as a cult item like the 360S.)

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

$400 is a bargain. The challenge is that if it does break fixing it can be very expensive, especially if you go through a Harman authorized service center. The digital boards are known to have capacitor problems, and replacements are $1500, I understand.

The UltraAnalog DAC has definitely been superseded by stuff like the ESS Sabre chips, but I suspect only an Audio Precision system could tell the difference, not a human. With this old ML stuff you're really buying fit and finish and ergonomics, and all of that is quite excellent compared to anything I can think of for even $1000.

Last edited:
OP
U

Urushi

okay i will give it a try. I think I should be able to use it with my SMSL SU-8.

He also has a Lexicon RT-10 which he said I could have for $100. This plays SACDs and DVD-Audio (as it is a DVD video player). Kind of tempted to buy both.

Top Bottom