• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would the AE-7 and the DT 990 Pro work well? (or any other ones)

thevinh

Hello, I just started created this account. I am relatively new and watch a lot of videos about audio reviews, although they keep giving me mixed answers.
I was looking around for a new pair of headphones since my current (HS70) are dying, I was looking around and the DT 990 had amazing reviews!
I also see that it has 250 Ohms (I don't know much much all I know is, it's kinda like power or somthing?)
I don't think my current motherboard can support it and I was thinking of picking up the AE-7 by Sound Blaster.
I also heard other brands like FiiO or schitt but I don't know if they are good. Any reccommendations?
I only have like 300 or so
chii
chii

Attachments

• image_2022-09-20_200000975.png
    image_2022-09-20_200000975.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 51

Bleib

Major Contributor
I've used 990's with older Soundblaster (the ones before the AE-lineup). No problem driving them, AE-7 should be better.

RHO

Major Contributor
I don't think the DT990 is a good choice. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eyerdynamic-dt990-pro-review-headphone.19975/
It depends on what you want to do with it and if you are set on an open back headphone or if a closed back is also acceptable.

I don't think there are many motherboards that have decent headphone outputs. But that doesn't mean that an upgrade has to be expensive. With the right headphones a good dongle DAC/amp could already suffice.

OP
T

thevinh

I tend to play games and listen to music on tidal. Are there any other headphones you reccommend?

RHO

Major Contributor
I would go for the Sennheiser + Drop HD6XX if you want an open back or the AKG K371 if it can also be a closed back. If you are afraid the K371 will not have the buildquality you desire, I could also recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770. In your case the 80 Ohm version could be a good option for that one.
Have you considered IEMs?

Is the $/€300 for the headphones + DAC/amp or for the headphones alone?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had all those, the AE-7 can handle it, on Creative labs site they have a refurbished page with the best price on them with warranty. Having had all the Beyerdynamic models, the DT880 250 ohm is better since on the 990 mids are recessed so vocals sound distant. If closed back the 250 ohm 770 is better too if vocals and bass are important.
If it was me, if get the 250ohm DT880 direct from Beyerdynamic and a Creative Labs X1 USB sound card which I have on the DT770 250 ohm currently and it's got power and just lots of fun. Both will run 225 beans but the X1 needs a USB A to C cable that's longer for PC use.

Reactions: MAB

mvnchies

I would probably skip out on the AE-7 if you don't need any specific features from it... it's not that it's bad, but that price is a bit high.
you can get a much lower priced DAC+amplifier combination that I strongly believe will be equal in terms of performance.

even the SoundBlaster X1 that is USB-C powered might be enough if you are loyal to the Creative brand :) I have one and use it with DT 900 Pro X (not the best headphone, just my preference for gaming - it's comfortable and well-built with good enough sound) and it's more than enough at 10-20% volume level.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tend to play games and listen to music on tidal. Are there any other headphones you recommend?
Yea, Soundmagic HP200 (32-Ohm) open headphones, it's like a combo of the DT880 and DT990.
I own all three headphones.

OP
T

thevinh

Do you guys know where I can get the Soundmagic HP200? I'm in Australia.
And what are you opinions on 'Moondrop' Amp + Dacs? They look nice that's all :)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oops, looks like the Soundmagic HP200 is not currently on the market, I would assume Soundmagic will restock.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, more about clarity, than bass.

OP
T

thevinh

Oops, looks like the Soundmagic HP200 is not currently on the market, I would assume Soundmagic will restock.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, more about clarity, than bass.
What should I get instead of the Soundmagic HP200?

RHO

Major Contributor
Do you guys know where I can get the Soundmagic HP200? I'm in Australia.
And what are you opinions on 'Moondrop' Amp + Dacs? They look nice that's all :)
The Moondrop DAC/amp measure great. (as long as you stay under -0dBfs) I have one on the way myself.

mvnchies

What should I get instead of the Soundmagic HP200?

this is a favourite of mine for competitive FPS gaming, very affordable as well as easy to drive.

Reactions: RHO

Bleib

Major Contributor

this is a favourite of mine for competitive FPS gaming, very affordable as well as easy to drive.
If the PC is loud and close-by I'd rather get 371.

OP
T

thevinh

I was thinking of getting the HD560s there are no real life reviews, but I'd consider.

Top Bottom