• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would some one be kind enough to interpret this sentance from Audioholics

Hotwetrat

Hi,

I recently grabbed 2x Eris E8 XT for a solid price. So far I am very impressed! Quite shocked really - for my listening scenarios anyway.

So I have decided to get some speaker stands and set them up properly to do them justice.

With regards to the listening height - I quote the excellent audioholics who reviewed them here https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/presonus-eris-e8-xt/conclusion

"My only complaint is that the usual cancellation null that occurs between the woofer and tweeter in a two-way speaker occurs a bit higher in angle than is ideal in this speaker. That means users should not be listening to them at an angle lower than the tweeter axis."

In terms I can understand please tell me does this mean the tweeter should be BELOW? Or ABOVE ear level? (assuming the speakers are not angled up or down, but just on a normal, straight speaker stand)

THNK YOU!!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have these mounted above the listening position, make sure they are angled downward so that the tweeter is aimed at or just below the listener’s ears. So long as you are listening on-axis or within 20-degrees above, you will be met with a very neutral sound.

It's a matter of how you aim the tweeter. If they are just sitting on a shelf (for example) then you would want them below ear level.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I interpret that as, you should ensure the tweeters are at ear height to be on the safe side.

The phrase higher in angle is a bit confusing. Where is the zero? Straight up? Normal to the baffle?

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

If you have these mounted above the listening position, make sure they are angled downward so that the tweeter is aimed at or just below the listener’s ears. So long as you are listening on-axis or within 20-degrees above, you will be met with a very neutral sound.

It's a matter of how you aim the tweeter. If they are just sitting on a shelf (for example) then you would want them below ear level.

So SHORT stands! Excellent ;P Thank you very much!

fineMen

Major Contributor
"My only complaint is that the usual cancellation null that occurs between the woofer and tweeter in a two-way speaker occurs a bit higher in angle than is ideal in this speaker. That means users should not be listening to them at an angle lower than the tweeter axis."

This translates to: "So long as you are listening on-axis or within 20-degrees above, you will be met with a very neutral sound. If you are setting them up for home use, try using a somewhat smaller bookshelf speaker stand that puts your ears slightly above the tweeter to get an optimal sound. Once the E8 XT’s lobe is understood, it can actually be leveraged to give these speakers better placement flexibility than normal speakers."

Its already in the article. One migh also conclude that from the graph on the vertical off-axis response, which is exhilaratingly explained extensively in the text likewise.

As You have them already, You could also experiment, using the audiophiles measurement equipment. If it isn't detectable, could it possibly matter? ( No offenses, just asking where the demand for fidelity comes from--personal pleasure, or what else? )

Didn't read the whole review. But such a placement of the 'lobe' is especially beneficial for home use, where someone is more likely to stand up than to get down to carpet level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom