• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would Sabaj A20a 2022 be a decent upgrade from Aiyima a07?

I asked Sabaj about the resumption of sales of the A20a 2022 that I was worried about, but I received the answer.
(It seems that China had a holiday for the National Day)

As a result, it seems that all the problems that have occurred in the A20a 2022 so far have been improved and the power supply unit has been changed to a new type.
I really like the design of the A20a 2022 and will buy it again.
Hello! Just signed up to ask:
Did you have any updates on this comment? Are there any external markings to denote the updated version?

Am considering these in the gumtree link below, but only if I know for certain that they are the updated version.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello! Just signed up to ask:
Did you have any updates on this comment? Are there any external markings to denote the updated version?

Am considering these in the gumtree link below, but only if I know for certain that they are the updated version.
Chinese manufacturers such as Sabaj and SMSL Toppin rarely display minor changes on their products.
It's been a long time since my comment, so I think the current product is in its final form.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Chinese manufacturers such as Sabaj and SMSL Toppin rarely display minor changes on their products.
It's been a long time since my comment, so I think the current product is in its final form.
I hope so, I am always very interested in Sabaj products, I bought two A8s and a few days ago two A20a2022s, they seem to me to be the only low cost brand amplifiers to have a professional look, they are massive and have the functions that interest me (the possibility to be used as monoblocks).
I really wish Amirm could measure some specimens at least to get an idea of the real performance.
For the A20a I don't even know the actual power at 1% distortion, while for the A8 I recall one user having done a full set of measurements and essentially delivering what he promised. Everything is still found in the thread
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sabaj-a5-and-a8-announced.29250/

Timstunes

Forum Donor
I bought the Sabaj A20a 2022 shortly after launch and am currently testing it.

It has been running continuously for 48 hours, but no problems have been found so far. The sound quality is also very good. Here are some of the things I'm interested in with the new amps. The amplifiers to be compared are SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300, Sabaj A20a / A8, Topping PA3 / PA5, AIYIAM A07, etc. purchased so far.

There is no pop noise when the power is turned on and off. It's zero.

White noise (his noise) from the speaker when the music is stopped can be heard slightly when the ear is in close contact with the speaker unit. But I can't hear it at all 20 cm away. This point is slightly larger than Loxjie A30 and SMSL AO200 / DA-9. However, it is an extremely low level compared to conventional class D amplifiers.

The volume control of A20a 2022 adopts the conventional volume pot, and I am worried about the gang error when the volume is turned down. SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 etc. use JRC's NJW1194 electronic volume, so there is no gang error. Also, by using NJW1194, you can use the EQ function and tone control built into the chip, but the A20a 2022 does not have these functions.

The fever is a little hotter than the SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It's not as hot as AIYIMA A07.

BT is equivalent to SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It is a little inferior to the BT of the latest DAC. It seems that the BT module uses a product with a lower grade than the DAC.

The A20a 2022 does not have the abnormal noise from the power supply unit or the abnormal noise of the speaker output that I reported on the Sabaj A20a.

Similarly, there is no fluctuation in the DC offset voltage of the speaker output and pop noise that I reported in SMSL DA-9.
The DC offset voltage of my A20a 2022 is Lch-2mV / Rch-2.7mV, which is extremely small and stable.

The output power of the A20a 2022 is 170W (4Ω) / 90W (8Ω). It has more than double the output power of AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 / PA3. High output is possible with a dual power supply with a power supply voltage of + -34V (total 68V) for the MA5332MS chip. If you feel power shortage with AO200 / DA-9 etc., A20a 2022 is the best choice.

An amplifier that uses two MA12070 chips, such as the AO200 / DA-9 / PA3, has twice the output of one amplifier. But that's only when you connect a 2Ω load. When a 4Ω / 8Ω load is connected, only the same output as one amplifier can be obtained. This is the point where it is easy to make a mistake in the circuit operation of PBTL.

SMSL has an A300 that uses the same amp chip. This product is a MA5332MS amplifier product that has the same functions as the AO200 / DA-9. Functions such as electronic volume, EQ, BT, and USB are the same. You can also use the remote control! I would like to purchase and test this SMSL A300 after this. However, I don't like the cheap iron plate housing of the A300.
Using the A20a 2022, I think the Infineon MA5332MS is a very exciting amp chip in the future.

I can't say for sure about the sound quality yet, but it is a very clear and high quality sound similar to AO200. I feel that the bass has become a little stronger.

Switching between BT and RCA inputs is done with a small switch on the back, which is a bit difficult to use.

SAbaj A20a 2022

SMSL A300

"About the problem of gang error"
This problem applies to most amplifier products in China.
The problem is that they are using the wrong volume pot for volume control on their audio equipment.
For the volume pot for volume control, it is usually necessary to use a taper A characteristic whose resistance value changes with a logarithmic curve.
However, Chinese companies use taper B volume pots whose resistance changes linearly.

I have previously pointed this issue to several manufacturers in China, but they didn't have any knowledge of Taper A and Taper B and couldn't understand my point. Only Chinese manufacturers use Tapered B for volume pots for volume control in the world.
I was surprised that many audiophiles these days don't understand this.

"Adverse effects caused by using Taper B for volume control"
1. 1. The volume suddenly increases just by turning the volume knob a little.
2. 2. When the volume is lowered, the difference in volume between the left and right (gang error) becomes extremely large.
Well done!

artkos

Hey, anyone had some similar problem?
Any advice what is going on with A20a?
Topic in linik

nck045

My A20a just died after almost a year of daily use. Similar to what others have experienced, only red LED appears when powering on the amp. Is there a way to repair this, or sending it back for replacement is the only option?

Viðar

I am actually quite intrigued. Looking forward to some measurements to see what it can do. I would hold on to your A07 until we see how it measures and behaves.

I am actually quite intrigued. Looking forward to some measurements to see what it can do. I would hold on to your A07 until we see how it measures and behaves.
Have you found anything competitive with TOPPING PA7 PLUS

Top Bottom