• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would Sabaj A20a 2022 be a decent upgrade from Aiyima a07?

robot34

Any measurements on A20a or A20a 2022? Or would SMSL A300 be better?

OP
R

robot34

You're asking the wrong forum...
This is the only forum that actually gives a damn about class D amps.

If you mean it in the sense of "all good amps sound just as good" sure, I haven't tried anything other than Aiyima A07 so I won't comment on that. However from my experience with headphones and headphone amplifiers, that's simply not true. That is just my subjective opinion which doesn't matter to many here, some may appreciate it though.

But one of the reasons I'd like to upgrade the A07 are aesthetics and functionality. The volume knob on it is just bad and I don't like the idea of getting a preamp, and would like to avoid using my dac as a preamp as I use it to control volume on my headphones also. These Sabaj and SMSL amplifiers are $200 so I don't see why it would be wrong to ask for an upgrade from Aiyima if they are better in other terms than sound. Also few people so far said, even on this forum, that Aiyima A07 doesn't sound right with Elac UB52. Is that because they want high volume and it can't deliver or Elacs simply like more power no matter the volume? Beats me, we are here to learn and share experiences, not just measurements.

Drengur

Forum Donor
I am actually quite intrigued. Looking forward to some measurements to see what it can do. I would hold on to your A07 until we see how it measures and behaves.

robertospeed

I have an SMSL AO200 and also an Aiyima A07.
SMSL AO200 sounds better and handles certain types of speakers better and doesn't heat up at high volumes, it's a more complete and well-made amplifier and I don't see any flaws.
When SMSL A300 arrives on Amazon Italy I would like to buy it to hear if it sounds good and above all if it is more powerful

Hertel

I have an SMSL AO200 and also an Aiyima A07.
SMSL AO200 sounds better and handles certain types of speakers better and doesn't heat up at high volumes, it's a more complete and well-made amplifier and I don't see any flaws.
When SMSL A300 arrives on Amazon Italy I would like to buy it to hear if it sounds good and above all if it is more powerful
I recently bought the AO200. It should arrive here in Brazil in about 10 days. It will be my first experience with a class D amplifier.

I currently own the first generation Emotiva XPA-1, with 250W at 8Ω. It's really strong, but I wanted to try a different and possibly more detailed amp.

As I own big boxes (Klipsch RF-7 II) I was more inclined to buy a pair of A300s to use in bridge. Unfortunately, as there is no information about these amplifiers, I opted for the ao200.

I look forward to your comparison between the AO200 and the A300. Depending on them, he buys two A300s to use as a bridge with the Klipsch RF-7II.

Toku

Major Contributor
I bought the Sabaj A20a 2022 shortly after launch and am currently testing it.

It has been running continuously for 48 hours, but no problems have been found so far. The sound quality is also very good. Here are some of the things I'm interested in with the new amps. The amplifiers to be compared are SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300, Sabaj A20a / A8, Topping PA3 / PA5, AIYIAM A07, etc. purchased so far.

There is no pop noise when the power is turned on and off. It's zero.

White noise (his noise) from the speaker when the music is stopped can be heard slightly when the ear is in close contact with the speaker unit. But I can't hear it at all 20 cm away. This point is slightly larger than Loxjie A30 and SMSL AO200 / DA-9. However, it is an extremely low level compared to conventional class D amplifiers.

The volume control of A20a 2022 adopts the conventional volume pot, and I am worried about the gang error when the volume is turned down. SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 etc. use JRC's NJW1194 electronic volume, so there is no gang error. Also, by using NJW1194, you can use the EQ function and tone control built into the chip, but the A20a 2022 does not have these functions.

The fever is a little hotter than the SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It's not as hot as AIYIMA A07.

BT is equivalent to SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It is a little inferior to the BT of the latest DAC. It seems that the BT module uses a product with a lower grade than the DAC.

The A20a 2022 does not have the abnormal noise from the power supply unit or the abnormal noise of the speaker output that I reported on the Sabaj A20a.

Similarly, there is no fluctuation in the DC offset voltage of the speaker output and pop noise that I reported in SMSL DA-9.
The DC offset voltage of my A20a 2022 is Lch-2mV / Rch-2.7mV, which is extremely small and stable.

The output power of the A20a 2022 is 170W (4Ω) / 90W (8Ω). It has more than double the output power of AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 / PA3. High output is possible with a dual power supply with a power supply voltage of + -34V (total 68V) for the MA5332MS chip. If you feel power shortage with AO200 / DA-9 etc., A20a 2022 is the best choice.

An amplifier that uses two MA12070 chips, such as the AO200 / DA-9 / PA3, has twice the output of one amplifier. But that's only when you connect a 2Ω load. When a 4Ω / 8Ω load is connected, only the same output as one amplifier can be obtained. This is the point where it is easy to make a mistake in the circuit operation of PBTL.

SMSL has an A300 that uses the same amp chip. This product is a MA5332MS amplifier product that has the same functions as the AO200 / DA-9. Functions such as electronic volume, EQ, BT, and USB are the same. You can also use the remote control! I would like to purchase and test this SMSL A300 after this. However, I don't like the cheap iron plate housing of the A300.
Using the A20a 2022, I think the Infineon MA5332MS is a very exciting amp chip in the future.

I can't say for sure about the sound quality yet, but it is a very clear and high quality sound similar to AO200. I feel that the bass has become a little stronger.

Switching between BT and RCA inputs is done with a small switch on the back, which is a bit difficult to use.

SAbaj A20a 2022

SMSL A300

"About the problem of gang error"
This problem applies to most amplifier products in China.
The problem is that they are using the wrong volume pot for volume control on their audio equipment.
For the volume pot for volume control, it is usually necessary to use a taper A characteristic whose resistance value changes with a logarithmic curve.
However, Chinese companies use taper B volume pots whose resistance changes linearly.

I have previously pointed this issue to several manufacturers in China, but they didn't have any knowledge of Taper A and Taper B and couldn't understand my point. Only Chinese manufacturers use Tapered B for volume pots for volume control in the world.
I was surprised that many audiophiles these days don't understand this.

"Adverse effects caused by using Taper B for volume control"
1. 1. The volume suddenly increases just by turning the volume knob a little.
2. 2. When the volume is lowered, the difference in volume between the left and right (gang error) becomes extremely large.

Hertel

It has been running continuously for 48 hours, but no problems have been found so far. The sound quality is also very good. Here are some of the things I'm interested in with the new amps. The amplifiers to be compared are SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300, Sabaj A20a / A8, Topping PA3 / PA5, AIYIAM A07, etc. purchased so far.

White noise (his noise) from the speaker when the music is stopped can be heard slightly when the ear is in close contact with the speaker unit. But I can't hear it at all 20 cm away. This point is slightly larger than Loxjie A30 and SMSL AO200 / DA-9. However, it is an extremely low level compared to conventional class D amplifiers.

The volume control of A20a 2022 adopts the conventional volume pot, and I am worried about the gang error when the volume is turned down. SMSL AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 etc. use JRC's NJW1194 electronic volume, so there is no gang error. Also, by using NJW1194, you can use the EQ function and tone control built into the chip, but the A20a 2022 does not have these functions.

The fever is a little hotter than the SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It's not as hot as AIYIMA A07.

BT is equivalent to SMSL AO200 / DA-9. It is a little inferior to the BT of the latest DAC. It seems that the BT module uses a product with a lower grade than the DAC.

The A20a 2022 does not have the abnormal noise from the power supply unit or the abnormal noise of the speaker output that I reported on the Sabaj A20a.

Similarly, there is no fluctuation in the DC offset voltage of the speaker output and pop noise that I reported in SMSL DA-9.
The DC offset voltage of my A20a 2022 is Lch-2mV / Rch-2.7mV, which is extremely small and stable.

The output power of the A20a 2022 is 170W (4Ω) / 90W (8Ω). It has more than double the output power of AO200 / DA-9 / SA300 / PA3. High output is possible with a dual power supply with a power supply voltage of + -34V (total 68V) for the MA5332MS chip. If you feel power shortage with AO200 / DA-9 etc., A20a 2022 is the best choice.

An amplifier that uses two MA12070 chips, such as the AO200 / DA-9 / PA3, has twice the output of one amplifier. But that's only when you connect a 2Ω load. When a 4Ω / 8Ω load is connected, only the same output as one amplifier can be obtained. This is the point where it is easy to make a mistake in the circuit operation of PBTL.

SMSL has an A300 that uses the same amp chip. This product is a MA5332MS amplifier product that has the same functions as the AO200 / DA-9. Functions such as electronic volume, EQ, BT, and USB are the same. You can also use the remote control! I would like to purchase and test this SMSL A300 after this. However, I don't like the cheap iron plate housing of the A300.
Using the A20a 2022, I think the Infineon MA5332MS is a very exciting amp chip in the future.

I can't say for sure about the sound quality yet, but it is a very clear and high quality sound similar to AO200. I feel that the bass has become a little stronger.

Switching between BT and RCA inputs is done with a small switch on the back, which is a bit difficult to use.

SAbaj A20a 2022

SMSL A300

The problem is that they are using the wrong volume pot for volume control on their audio equipment.
For the volume pot for volume control, it is usually necessary to use a taper A characteristic whose resistance value changes with a logarithmic curve.
However, Chinese companies use taper B volume pots whose resistance changes linearly.

I have previously pointed this issue to several manufacturers in China, but they didn't have any knowledge of Taper A and Taper B and couldn't understand my point. Only Chinese manufacturers use Tapered B for volume pots for volume control in the world.

2. 2. When the volume is lowered, the difference in volume between the left and right (gang error) becomes extremely large.
Thank you for the general description of the Sabaj A20s 2022 and above all for the comparison between the other devices. This type of information is very important for anyone who is researching appliances to make a purchase decision.

I bought the SMSL ao200 due to the positive reviews on this forum. I have two subwoofers (Keef Kub12) and their AO200 Subs outputs are perfect for me. My first option, however, was to buy two SMSL A300 to work in bridge mode, but the total lack of reviews of the audio quality of the same and its cheap appearance made me back off the purchase.

Waiting for your audio quality comparison between Sabaj A20s and SMSL AO200.

robertospeed

I bought the Sabaj A20a 2022 shortly after launch and am currently testing it.

SAbaj A20a 2022

SMSL A300

Toku, I think SMSL A300 is better than Sabaj A20s 2022, apart from the lameria that you don't like

Bleib

Major Contributor
I didn't ever make a vs (with A 7, which I've owned) comparison but I do prefer the SMSL A300 for its looks, its remote, the fact that it has a digital volume controller and even a BT receiver.

The one thing I've noticed that the last time I tested didn't sound so great with USB input, sounds quite a bit better through the Topping EX5 (and I also believe probably through my AE7 soundcard), but then again I have not done extensive testing at all so it could be that some setting was for some reason wrong.

Using it for a week has been without any quirks. I do like SMSL remotes too, they respond rather well.

tom_tom

Thanks @Toku ! I've ordered smsl a300 , I have topping MX5 with older chip to compare. I would rather to have all in one box ( like MX5 ) but for that price amp only with sub out, remote and this power looks like a bargain!

Toku

Major Contributor
Toku, I think SMSL A300 is better than Sabaj A20s 2022, apart from the lameria that you don't like
Thanks @Toku ! I've ordered smsl a300 , I have topping MX5 with older chip to compare. I would rather to have all in one box ( like MX5 ) but for that price amp only with sub out, remote and this power looks like a bargain!
Yes, I think so too.
In terms of practicality, I think the A300 is easier to use.
However, due to some troubles that occurred with DA-9, there is a concern that A20a 2022 = A300 cannot be said to be certain.

I think the MA5332MS chip is similar in sound quality to the MA12070 chip. However, as the output power is large, I feel the strength of the momentary sound output.
This is just my subjectivity.

pickyAudiophile

Thank you @Toku for sharing your initial findings about the A20a 2022 amp. That volume pot issue (A vs B type) and CN manufacturer's reluctance towards these matters to me was intersting to learn about. Will do my own subjective comparison (A300 vs A20a 2020/MA12070) in near future. Somewhat sobering Sabaj opted for such a tight budget implementation of the MA5532MS chipset.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have previously purchased the DA-9, AO200, A20a, and PA3 with the same amp chip configuration and compared them. I also ordered the SMSL A300 following the A20a 2022, so I will compare the two in the same way. This is simply due to my technical interests.
Sabaj has also released the A10a 2022. The appearance and specifications are exactly the same. The only difference is the output power. I presume that this product also probably has an Infineon MA5332 MS chip.

Last edited:

Mutagen

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster.

I've ordered the a20a 2022 from China (two of them, in fact). Eager to try it out, and I will post impressions here when it shows up. I'm current running an Aiyima A07, an Aiyima A08, and some older AB gear (Rotel).

I also ordered the a10d 2022 to try these a20a amps in BTL mono mode.

My question is one of decorum/forum use - is it worth starting a new thread to discuss these items (rather than continue is this thread)?

Thanks all!

tom_tom

I think it makes sense to start new one.
Mine A300 arrived already

Attachments

• IMG20220628190246.jpg
    IMG20220628190246.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG20220628185217.jpg
    IMG20220628185217.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 492

delta76

Major Contributor
Ordered my a20a 2022, can't wait for it to arrive. Have anyone used them in BTL mode? How do you like it?

Toku

Major Contributor
Ordered my a20a 2022, can't wait for it to arrive. Have anyone used them in BTL mode? How do you like it?
I bought both the A20a 2022 and the A300 and set up the BTL mono mode on the A300. It is well worth trying in terms of sound quality.

Top Bottom