• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would like to know if this audio setup will work for PS5

MartinEighty8

I'm doing this, so I can hopefully listen to PS5 audio via an all wired headphones setup, which includes my Hidizs S8 portable dac/amp dongle (the S8 is not natively supported on PS5, due to it being UAC 2.0)

1) PS5 to USB with this device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FEDH...colid=GMU9D0HC6Z82&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

2) Optical out from that device to optical in with this device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LM0...colid=GMU9D0HC6Z82&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3) USB in from that device to my PC

4) I assume I can then choose to listen to the connected audio device in Windows, via my Hidizs S8/headphones setup in the Sound options.

OP
M

MartinEighty8

I have the Hidizs S8, which isn't directly compatible with the PS5. I'm basically curious if it's possible to feed headphone audio from the PS5 to my PC, then just use headphones connected with the S8 that way.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can feed you audio from the PS5, to the PC, not an issue there.
If you plug the Hidizs S8, into the PS5's USB port and connect the headphones to the S8, do you get any sound?

OP
M

MartinEighty8

No it isn't even recognised. PS5 is UAC 1.0, so UAC 2.0 devices will not work.

So is the method I described the best way to transfer audio from PS5 to PC?

I assume I need to keep it all digital and let my DAC do it's work for when it goes through to the headphones.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a house of cards :). In theory it all holds together but in practice, I would make sure you can return them and get your money back. And oh, latency will be bad potentially if you are going to use it for gaming.

A better solution may be all analog: get a headphone amp and feed the headphone out from the controller through it.

OP
M

MartinEighty8

Figured latency could be an issue, even if it did work. Thank you for your answers.

twsecrest

No it isn't even recognized. PS5 is UAC 1.0, so UAC 2.0 devices will not work.
So is the method I described the best way to transfer audio from PS5 to PC?
I assume I need to keep it all digital and let my DAC do it's work for when it goes through to the headphones.
Think it's best to just find a USB DAC that works with the PS5 and just plug headphones into that DAC.
Running audio to your PC first just seem to add more of something you really do not need.

Human Bass

I dont think the PS5 outputs audoo thru usb, the ps4 doesnt.

twsecrest

I don't think the PS5 outputs audio thru USB, the ps4 doesn't.
I never use gaming consoles (just keep buying them for my nephews), but would be surprised if any modern PS did not output audio, thru USB.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You can use optical out from TV as I assume you use PS5 with it. If you can buy something like Creative sound blasterx G6 and use it instead of S8.

Human Bass

You can use optical out from TV as I assume you use PS5 with it. If you can buy something like Creative sound blasterx G6 and use it instead of S8.
The PS5 doesnt have optical out. The PS4 Pro does

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I never use gaming consoles (just keep buying them for my nephews), but would be surprised if any modern PS did not output audio, thru USB.
Only UAC 1. So you need a DAC that supports UAC1 or is able to switch profiles between uac 1 & 2.

Top Bottom