• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would I notice any difference in Micca Covo-s vs Polk OMW-3 for atmos speakers?

theonline3333

Hi. I am looking for 2 speakers to use for my atmos speakers. I am the only person listening and the room is about 12x12. Would I notice any difference between the Micca Covo-s ($50) vs the Polk OMW-3 ($180)? Powered with a Denon AVR-S760H with Emotiva B1+ for Front L and R and C1+ for center with Neumi bs5s for surrounds. This is for home theater no music.

Thanks!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both will have virtually no output below 150Hz. But the Polk OWM3 are significantly more linear, if you pull down the response above 8000Hz they are good for Atmos. The Covo-S are outright terrible, which for $50 is the expectation.

Try using another pair of Neumi BS5 instead, they are better speakers, especially if you plug the ports and crossover at 120Hz. They just don't ceiling mount as easily as the Polk OWM3, but a trip to the hardware store can solve that.

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks. The Neumi Bs5s would be great but they are so large. I just do not see a way I could mount those on the ceiling in this apartment. I read quite a few reviews from people that used the covo-s for atmos but a lot more reviews from people using the owm3s. I was just hoping I could find someone that could tell me if the covo-s would work well for a starter atmos set up. If they are as bad as you say maybe I should just spend the extra $130 on the omw3s.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t you need 12 speakers for Atmos?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don’t you need 12 speakers for Atmos?

The minimum Atmos config is 3.1.2, but if you want a "3D" audio experience, 5.1.2.

5.1.4 and 7.1.4 are noticeably better, but 9 or 11 channel receivers carry a significant price premium over 7 channel models.

Top Bottom