• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would DX3 Pro+ be a decent improvement over my 2021 MBP for my HD 6XX

Moustachio

Hey there, total noob here!

My main use case is music production with virtual instruments. I have seen the measurement threads but to be honest, I don't know what any of those stuff means. I need some guidance here. The HD6XX sounds decent when driven by my macbook but I feel like it falls a bit flat. (Do bear in mind that I've never used a dac/amp before)

Would the DX3 Pro+ (or any dac/amp that has equal performance) bring in improvements in regards to critical listening? I am planning on getting it off of Ebay so, I don't think I can just try and decide here. I would be really interested in hearing your opinion! After all, at the end of the day, it is all very subjective.

Cheers!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there, total noob here!

My main use case is music production with virtual instruments. I have seen the measurement threads but to be honest, I don't know what any of those stuff means. I need some guidance here. The HD6XX sounds decent when driven by my macbook but I feel like it falls a bit flat. (Do bear in mind that I've never used a dac/amp before)

Would the DX3 Pro+ (or any dac/amp that has equal performance) bring in improvements in regards to critical listening? I am planning on getting it off of Ebay so, I don't think I can just try and decide here. I would be really interested in hearing your opinion! After all, at the end of the day, it is all very subjective.

Cheers!
I don't know exactly what the output power is of your MacBook although the power output of the DX3 Pro+ should be substantially higher than the MacBook. So you will have more headroom and can go louder and additionally with the extra power you can operate a software EQ/PEQ in the MacBook and that will create a major big improvement in the sound quality.
EQ/PEQ stuff is at this webpage.
I recommend this EQ for a MacBook.

OP
M

Moustachio

I don't know exactly what the output power is of your MacBook although the power output of the DX3 Pro+ should be substantially higher than the MacBook. So you will have more headroom and can go louder and additionally with the extra power you can operate a software EQ/PEQ in the MacBook and that will create a major big improvement in the sound quality.
EQ/PEQ stuff is at this webpage.
I recommend this EQ for a MacBook.
Thank you for the reply!

According to apple, the macbook pro headphone jack apparently delivers 3 volts RMS for headphones with an impedance of 150 to 1k ohms. Should I except any improvement in regards to DAC quality? The macbook apparently shreds entry level dacs in terms of quality (I tried audient id4 and it honestly sounds so bad compared to it) but I couldn't find much info for ''middle of the road'' dacs such as dx3 pro+

I found this post which measures the dac/amp in the mbp but I can't interpret the graphs. also, can't speak chinese for that matter lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
MacBook M1@>
300Ω 30mW
68Ω 100mW
32Ω 150mW
16Ω 160mW

Those power output figures compared to the DX3 Pro+>
300Ω 257mW
68Ω NOT TESTED
32Ω 1.5W
16Ω NOT TESTED

As you can see the power output of the DX3 Pro+ is wayyy higher than the MacBook M1. A very substantial increase in power output. As per the DAC quality in the DX3 Pro+ it is top notch stuff. The DX3 Pro+ is really outstanding.

audiofun

DX3 Pro+ won't provide any improvement to your 2021 mbp, except the latter is not loud enough for you.

To me mbp is pretty loud with my HD 6XX.

snake3276120

DX3 Pro+ won't provide any improvement to your 2021 mbp, except the latter is not loud enough for you.

To me mbp is pretty loud with my HD 6XX.
Exactly, I'm usually listening to it at 25% - 50% volume. HD6xx Here too.

snake3276120

Thank you for the reply!

According to apple, the macbook pro headphone jack apparently delivers 3 volts RMS for headphones with an impedance of 150 to 1k ohms. Should I except any improvement in regards to DAC quality? The macbook apparently shreds entry level dacs in terms of quality (I tried audient id4 and it honestly sounds so bad compared to it) but I couldn't find much info for ''middle of the road'' dacs such as dx3 pro+

I found this post which measures the dac/amp in the mbp but I can't interpret the graphs. also, can't speak chinese for that matter lol.
Glad there's a measurement here! I'm switching between my MBP 2021 for work and a Topping EX5 for the rest. Great job there Apple!

Top Bottom