• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would an external DAC add sound quality to my system?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point. The speaker auditioning has been fun so far.

Thanks for your opinion. I'm leaning towards the Dali Spektor over the SVS Sat.

All good analogies you mention. I even forgot I too have tried personal adaption myself. There's an African Cichlid fish when it's put in a small aquarium, it stays relatively small. But when its put in a really large aquarium, that fish grows quite large. I applied that theory in an experiment on myself by wearing really, really large underwear. ;)
Any updates?

To illustrate this further. @Napalm Tom , take the Klippel listening test. Good luck beating my -39dB. I get around -30dB(best) in a normal environment and get -39dB at best when I'm well isolated with some etymotic in-ear monitors. You can take this number and compare it to amir's SINAD or THD score. Let me know how you do.

Attachments

• IMG_4731.png
    IMG_4731.png
    519.7 KB · Views: 42

thomasward00

Hello, newbie here and newbie (again) to hi fidelity. Separate from my 7.1 home theater system, I invested in an Emotiva BasX TA1 Integrated amplifier, SVS SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer, and a pair of KEF 301 speakers for my music listening. The only audio source connected to it and the only source I listen to is a Brennan B3 Hard Disk CD Ripper/Player which is connected to the Emotiva via optical. The set up as is, produces a pretty incredible sound. But like most of you probably do the same, this renewed interest in high fidelity, has me exploring other components for ideal sound.

The Emotiva's internal DAC is provided by "Analog Devices AD1955 24/192k DAC," according to the Emotiva website, but I really don't know what that means. I am DAC illiterate, but watching youtube audiophile bloggers rave about DACs, even specific to my Emotiva, I saw comments like, "adding an external DAC to this Emotiva BasX TA1 takes it to a whole new level!" My knee jerk reaction was, "well, I got to have that!" I watched DACs 101 tutorial videos and have a vague grasp of their function.

If I were to add an external DAC, I realize they range from just 20 dollars to thousands of dollars. And the DAC 101 tutorial videos I watched helped me understand the better DAC units provide better performance than say, a 20 dollar unit. That said, my comfort spending range would be between 500 to 700 dollars. However, I'm hesitant that it will truly make a difference or I'm buying into sensationalism from audiophile bloggers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

That's a good built in DAC, I would just go with that.

thomasward00

No need to tread lightly around me, I appreciate your straight forward input.
A 1500 dollar amp seems like overkill in my small living room. It's only a 12'X20' room. From what I've seen, 1500 dollar-plus amps are typically around 80 to 100 watts per channel and more. Seems like anything more than 25 to 35 watts per channel/8ohm would be overkill in such a small room. But maybe you're referring to a 1500 dollar amp for other reasons, not necessarily wattage output.
What amplifier do you have and what size room does it reside in?

I haven't come across that thread yet. I will check it out, thanks.

I'm starting to get that now from comments here......speakers first. I don't why exactly, but I thought the amp would be first and then find speakers to compliment the amp.
50wpc is all you need.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a good score. But at -45dB you still can't hear distortion 100x greater than that put out by even poorly measuring dacs.

The internal DAC in your amp will be fine. You'll not hear any difference with an external one.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
50wpc is all you need.
Not sure you can say that unless you know listening distance, required SPL, and speaker sensitivity. Oh, and most dynamic music genre listened to.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
and a pair of KEF 301 speakers for my music listening

Not sure you can say that unless you know listening distance, required SPL, and speaker sensitivity. Oh, and most dynamic music genre listened to.
Agreed
Are these the T301 flat panel speakers you listed?
With a sensitivity of 88db @8ohms I would think about having a good 100 watt amp to handle dynamics for even
mid level listening. Folks oft underestimate the dynamics involved, better to have plenty than not enough.
I also agree on the DAC, your's is just fine.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With a sensitivity of 88db @8ohms I would think about having a good 100 watt amp to handle dynamics for even
mid level listening. Folks oft underestimate the dynamics involved,
Seconded, thirded and fourthed.

My listening room is about 10ft by 12ft, with similarly sensitive speakers.

My amp is 100W (8ohm). I also have 400W of subwoofer. It is fine. It is definitely not too much.

Top Bottom