• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would a WILLSENTON R300 (8w) output enough power for my Focal Aria 906 speakers?

Would a WILLSENTON R300 (8w) output enough power for my Focal Aria 906 speakers (25w)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Just show me the results

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

murkr

I keep hearing raving reviews about the WILLSENTON tube amps. Would a WILLSENTON R300 with an output of 8w be enough to power for my Focal Aria 906 speakers? Or would I feel my speakers need a more powerful amp?

The other option from WILLSENTON is the r8 which outputs 25w.

The r8 on paper seems like the better choice but I heard that the r300 sounds better. I'm leaning towards the r300 because folks who have listened to both the R8 and R300 preferred the R300. But they weren't using my speakers so that's my im hesitant and looking for some experienced advice here. (this is my first setup)

Ricwa

Forum Donor
It’s going to depend on your room size, listening distance, and personal preferences. I have the 906 K2s in a small room and use them with a 2a3 amp (~3 watts) and a SEP amp (~8 watts). They are adequate but not ample. I listen at a distance of 5 ft and less than 80 dB.

Last edited:

hothwampa

Longtime lurker first time poster. I have had the R300 for almost a year. It’s really fantastic. I was running it on 92 db JBL speakers at first, and it was plenty loud at 10:00. Now running on Forte IVs which are very efficient. You’ll probably be ok until you get the upgrade itch for more efficient speakers. Also agree with the comment on tube upgrade-itis. Wound up getting the western electric as a splurge.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I keep hearing raving reviews about the WILLSENTON tube amps. Would a WILLSENTON R300 with an output of 8w be enough to power for my Focal Aria 906 speakers? Or would I feel my speakers need a more powerful amp?

The other option from WILLSENTON is the r8 which outputs 25w.

The r8 on paper seems like the better choice but I heard that the r300 sounds better. I'm leaning towards the r300 because folks who have listened to both the R8 and R300 preferred the R300. But they weren't using my speakers so that's my im hesitant and looking for some experienced advice here. (this is my first setup)
Why the modern fascination with single ended tube** amps. I have very little knowledge of tube amp design and I am quite happy to be corrected but wouldn't a push pull design offer better performance. For an 8-10 W amp what about an updated version of the original mullard design.

I can't see myself becoming a tube convert but, to those who are, why not aim for the best.

** I grew up saying valve and find the word tube awkward but the word valve in relation to electronics has gone the way of 'thou' and 'thee'.

levimax

Major Contributor
Why the modern fascination with single ended tube** amps. I have very little knowledge of tube amp design and I am quite happy to be corrected but wouldn't a push pull design offer better performance. For an 8-10 W amp what about an updated version of the original mullard design.

I can't see myself becoming a tube convert but, to those who are, why not aim for the best.

** I grew up saying valve and find the word tube awkward but the word valve in relation to electronics has gone the way of 'thou' and 'thee'.
SET amps have a cult following and are expensive... by measurements they are not very good, they are low power and have very high distortion and output impeadance so they color the sound and are very speaker dependant. Fans will claim no crossover distortion, euphonic 2nd order distortion and "magic". Most on this site don't like them.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would caution that the R8, even in triode mode, does not sound like what you might have liked if you've listened to 300B amps. Stick to 300B amps if you want that SET sound, the R8 definitely won't give it to you. That said, I doubt you'll be happy with the volume from the 906's at 89 dB rated efficiency.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't know why the SET fascination either. SETs definitely have a sound, and each is a little different. I find this quality too much. Everything gets colored by them in my experience. I prefer push-pull triodes which can also have a sound though a less obvious one. With well recorded material I prefer a clean amp of ample power.

I'd think 8 watts is pushing it on the Aria, but it might work depending upon one's musical choices. Of course 8 watts vs 25 watts is only a bit over 5 db loudness. You would also likely have lower output impedance with the bigger amp.

I'd probably take my time and look for an old Conrad Johnson MV45 or MV50. Buy it 2nd hand, and if you don't like it you can always get your money back.

Here is an MV55 for $1500.

Here is an MV75 for $1699. Not sure if this is the going price. I've had one years back. Very well made. Can easily be made into triode worth about 35 or 40 watts. As is these are ultra-linear connected and 75 wpc.

EDIT to add: there are several MV50s on ebay. Looks like the going asking price is $2500 and up. Maybe I should have kept mine. :)

Last edited:

AlanthePods

I just bought the Willsenton R300. I am using it with Martin Logan Motion 40i speakers, which are rated at 92db sensitivity, into 4 ohms. The amp works beautifully with these speakers. My room is 9X17. At 10 "o'clock" the volume is up good, and I wouldn't want it much louder if at all. Interestingly enough, Martin Logan told me that I should be fine with this amp. But China Hi-Fi, did not think it would work well, as it was not powerful enough. WRONG! They suggested I try another amp, at much higher cost. I am VERY pleased indeed. This is my first tube amp. I'm 73, and I wonder why I waited so long. I guess it came down to cost. Only recently, Chinese amps have become real stars for the money. I can't say I'm fond of their "weather" balloons, but I sure dig their tube amps!!!

egellings

Major Contributor
It’s going to depend on your room size, listening distance, and personal preferences. I have the 906 K2s in a small room and use them with a 2a3 amp (~3 watts) and a SEP amp (~8 watts). They are adequate but not ample. I listen at a distance of 5 ft and less than 80 dB.
If they are ample, then they get called 'amplifiers', right?

CHenry

If you want to dip your toe in the tube amp world and use a speaker with 89.5dB sensitivity, an amp that delivers more power would be best. The Muzishare X7 or the Willsenton R8 are both push-pull designs that put out enough power to drive the Focals, especially if you are running KT88 power tubes and in ultralinear, where you get 45 WPC. Neither will break the bank and there is a resale market if you decide to sell it off. (Chances are, you won't., and both sell on Amazon, so there is the easy return feature.) There are plenty of options for tube rolling and an active community of owners (of the R8, at least) who do circuit mods to further improve performance. Despite the scope measurements of tube amps that show distortion, the fact is that the devices do deliver an enjoyable listening experience, and the tube rolling and mods are a further opportunity for engagement, both in listening and with an enthusiast community.

egellings

Major Contributor
SET amps have a cult following and are expensive... by measurements they are not very good, they are low power and have very high distortion and output impeadance so they color the sound and are very speaker dependant. Fans will claim no crossover distortion, euphonic 2nd order distortion and "magic". Most on this site don't like them.
SET amps are not designed to be accurate; they are designed to have Big Tone!

raindance

Major Contributor
Where the volume control is pointing is utterly meaningless as these tube amps typically have far too much gain and reach full output with a modern 2 volt source long before full volume on the knob. Most tube amps these days are regurgitations of vintage designs with no changes to accommodate 2 volt sources (most typically they are setup for 150mV sources such as cassette players). Fixing the gain in many cases means adding feedback, which linearizes the amp's response and makes it sound less "tubey" :).

Top Bottom